X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Womansplains Why Pepe The Frog is Racist Code

That old bitch is off her rocker, wow!

Donald Trump, Pepe the frog, and white supremacists: an explainer

That cartoon frog is more sinister than you might realize.

September 13, 2016 by Elizabeth Chan

Over the weekend, Donald Trump’s son and one of his closest advisers posted an odd photo on their social media accounts:

This raised some important questions.

Why is there a frog standing directly behind Trump?

That’s Pepe. He’s a symbol associated with white supremacy.

Wait. Really? White supremacy?

That’s right.

Please explain.

Here’s the short version: Pepe is a cartoon frog who began his internet life as an innocent meme enjoyed by teenagers and pop stars alike.

But in recent months, Pepe’s been almost entirely co-opted by the white supremacists who call themselves the “alt-right.” They’ve decided to take back Pepe by adding swastikas and other symbols of anti-semitism and white supremacy.

“We basically mixed Pepe in with Nazi propaganda, etc. We built that association,” one prominent white supremacist told the Daily Beast.

Trump has retweeted his white supremacist supporters with regularity, but the connection between the alt-right and his campaign continues to strengthen. Trump has been slow to disavow support from Ku Klux Klansmen and white supremacy groups, and he recently hired Breitbart.com’s Steve Bannon as his campaign CEO (and Bannon isn’t shy about the fact that his “news” organization is the “platform for the alt-right”).

Now white supremacists have given Pepe the cartoon frog some Trump hair—and the candidate’s own son says he is “honored to be grouped with” him.

Let me get this straight: Trump’s presidential campaign is posting memes associated with white supremacy online?

Yes.

But it’s just his son and one of his closest advisers, right?

Nope.

Just curious: Who else is in this photo?

Notably, conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who believes the government was behind the 9/11 (and that Newtown was “completely fake”), and Breitbart’s Milo Yiannopoulos, whose racism and bigotry is so egregious that Twitter banned him from using their site.

This is horrifying.

Yes.

What can I do?

Vote.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Pepe the Frog, a cartoon, is now listed as an international symbol of hate.

smh.

"The Anti-Defamation League has added the once innocuous Pepe the Frog Internet meme to its growing database of hate symbols.

"Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular Internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users," said Jonathan A. Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League.

"These anti-Semites have no shame. They are abusing the image of a cartoon character, one that might at first seem appealing, to harass and spread hatred on social media."

The smiling frog first appeared in 2005 in a web comic and Internet users quickly turned the character into meme. Though the ADF acknowledges that most uses of the cartoon character are non-bigoted, they argue the "alt-right" has adopted the frog as one of their symbols and the number of racist and bigoted versions of Pepe are increasing.

The database entry is illustrated with images of Pepe dressed as a Ku Klux Klansman, a Nazi SS officer and a stereotypical depiction of a Jewish man.

ADL founded the Hate on Display database in 2000 to help the public and law enforcement track groups they describe as being motivated by hate. They added the echo symbol, "((( )))" to the same database after the "alt-right" started using the triple parenthesis to single out Jewish social media users for harassment."

I thought the ADL was a Jewish group. Pepe is anti-Semitic?

In a press briefing last week, White House press secretary Jen Psaki went to great lengths to explain that the Democrats’ reconciliation spending bill is not merely geared toward improving unemployment or sparking economic growth — the goal is to transform America's economy.President Joe Biden seeks to “do something historic that will fundamentally change the

Comment

Which memes were the beginnings of his racist label? Thus far I haven't really seen any which just jump out as "racism" to me.
        WH

Comment

#PepeTheFrogLifeMatterToo

Comment

She's just grasping at straws at this point.

Comment

Somebody should mansplain to her that she's an idiot.
              WH

Comment

Pepe the frog has more to offer mentally than she does.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  Pepe the frog has more to offer mentally than she does.
                  So does an empty box.
                  sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                  17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                  13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                  86 SVO - Sold
                  '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                  01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                  65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I don't understand any of theses pepe memes tht keep showing up. They have never made amy sense to me, but calling them racists also doesn't make sense. I have never seen one that looked racist.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      I have never seen one that looked racist.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        I see that it is supposed to be Hitler, but since I have no idea what pepe is or is supposed to represent I have no idea what the joke or satire is. Without context it looks like someone making fun of hitler, or possibly making fun of the french somehow. I don't understand this meme at all so I don't get the joke / insult even on this hitler pic.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                        X