Iran seizes cargo ship, holds crew hostage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran seizes cargo ship, holds crew hostage

WASHINGTON — Iranian vessels fired upon a cargo ship flagged to the Marshall Islands Tuesday morning, forcing the ship to travel deeper into Iranian waters — and setting off another round of tensions between Iran and the US.

Col. Steven Warren, Pentagon spokesman, confirmed that Iranian patrol vessels intercepted the shipping vessel Maersk Tigris around 5 a.m. Washington time. At that time, the vessels ordered the ship to travel deeper into Iranian waters. It is not clear if the Maersk had inadvertently traveled into Iranian territory.

When the Maersk did not respond immediately, the Iranian vessels fired shots across the bow of the cargo ship, which then complied with the order. The Iranian forces then boarded the vessel.

Warren said the ship is now located in the "vicinity" of Larak Island, in the Strait of Hormuz. According to VesselFinder.com, the ship was traveling from Jeddah in Saudi Arabia to Jebel Ali in the UAE.
    The Maersk Tigris is flagged to the Marshall Islands.

The Maersk Tigris is flagged to the Marshall Islands. (Photo: Damietta Port Authority)

Although the Marshall Islands are a sovereign nation, the US has "full authority and responsibility for security and defense" of the islands, according to a State Department fact sheet. That puts a US response in play in what represents an escalation of the standoff between Iran and the US.

The Navy has directed the destroyer Farragut to proceed at best speed to the location of the Maersk and has sent aircraft to observe the situation, Warren said. He added that there were no American citizens onboard the vessel.

The past week has seen a spike in tensions between the two countries after US Navy ships began shadowing a convoy of Iranian cargo ships that the Pentagon believed may be carrying weapons to aid militant forces in Yemen.

That situation dispersed last week when the Iranian convoy turned away from Yemen, but no doubt remains fresh in the minds of both nations.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Oh Iran... you silly willies...

Comment

Iranian Hostage Crisis, Part Deux.

Comment

We have GOT to get a Republican elected in 2016.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I feel like we've seen this before.

Comment

But I thought Obama made up with them.
            sigpic

Comment

The Iranians are betting he won't do shit. I'd make that bet too.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Sailing through the SOH is always tense, even on an aircraft carrier. The Iranian Navy may be the maritime version of the keystone cops, but what they lack in equipment and skill, they more than make up for with their don't give a fuck attitude.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Its like its 1979 again.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    And if you live long enough, you will see this again. Irregardless of who we put in the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                      And if you live long enough, you will see this again. Irregardless of who we put in the White House.
                      Uhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Vote Frost 2016. I'll get our hostages back and get gas down to .89 per gallon

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          Uhhhhhhhh.
                          haha.

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

We've got the Navy, now if we just had a commander in chief.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                              We've got the Navy, now if we just had a commander in chief.
                              Yep, we could sink the entire Iranian Navy without even having to reload. All it takes is the orders to do so.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X