Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New White House receptionist is a West Wing pioneer: 'Deaf people can do anything'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New White House receptionist is a West Wing pioneer: 'Deaf people can do anything'

Anyone wanting to speak to the president must stop Leah Katz-Hernandez's desk. She's the new White House receptionist, and she's deaf.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity and also to show that deaf people can do anything,” she said through an interpreter, who is provided for her at work.

Well they can't fucking hear can they.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Good for her, that's pretty cool.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
        Good for her, that's pretty cool.
        Did you watch the video? She has a person that can hear actually doing the job.

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN View Post
            She has a person that can hear actually doing the job.

Comment

Originally posted by ALLAN View Post
              Did you watch the video? She has a person that can hear actually doing the job.
              I did not watch the vid, I read the article. She has a translator. It's still neat to see someone doing the unthinkable. It sends a good message to others with disabilities.

I guess you ultra conservatives will complain about anything, though; so keep on keepin on I guess...
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

so why not just hire the first woman? I mean, I guess it's cool, but seriously...that's two salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                  so why not just hire the first woman? I mean, I guess it's cool, but seriously...that's two salaries.
                  I assume that she has some good credentials that shined above others for her to get that job.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I did not watch the vid, I read the article. She has a translator. It's still neat to see someone doing the unthinkable. It sends a good message to others with disabilities.

I guess you ultra conservatives will complain about anything, though; so keep on keepin on I guess...
                    I thought it was awesome until I saw the vid. Then it was WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I assume that she has some good credentials that shined above others for her to get that job.
                      Hyphenated Double Minority Last Name (Mexican-American immigrant father with PhD) - Check
                      Disability - Check
                      Not too Hard to look at - Check

It's all about image and perception with most of the folks in DC, both D and R.

Nothing against the receptionist herself. She seems like a good kid and I'm happy for her personally.

It's just the fact that the outcome of the hire(s) probably came out of an internal White House focus group makes me laugh a bit.

Comment

Ya... not the job for her, but definitely the job for them.

I think they hired a blind guy for Secret Service too. I'm all for hiring disabled people, but they have to be able to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          I'm all for hiring disabled people, but they have to be able to do the job.
                          Bingo. A person that cannot hear is unqualified to do a job that involves answering phones and taking dictation. I don't hate disabled people and I'm not ultraconservative. It just doesn't make sense to hire two people to do a job that one qualified person can do.

I am fully aware that this is a PR campaign for Americans with disabilities, nothing more and nothing less...
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            You don't really need a lot of credentials to collect cell phones and maintain a visitor log. Besides she really only has to work when Obama is physically in the office and expecting visitors which is fairly rare. Not to mention that anyone showing up has already gone through a secret service screening so half of her job is already done. And she has a translator/assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              You don't really need a lot of credentials to collect cell phones and maintain a visitor log. Besides she really only has to work when Obama is physically in the office and expecting visitors which is fairly rare. Not to mention that anyone showing up has already gone through a secret service screening so half of her job is already done. And she has a translator/assistant.
                              Well, in that case, FUCK THAT DEFF ASS CUNT!!!
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X