No announcement yet.

Texas HB 2918 would make it illegal to film or photograph police within 25 feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas HB 2918 would make it illegal to film or photograph police within 25 feet

Link to article

A week after Los Angeles agreed to train its law enforcement that public photography is not a crime, a bill has been proposed in Texas that would make it a crime for citizens to photograph or film police from within 25 feet of where the are.

House Bill 2918, filed in the Texas House of Representatives this past Tuesday by Representative Jason Villalba (R-Dallas), would make pointing a camera at police from within 25 feet a class B misdemeanor. Furthermore, citizens who carry a handgun would not be able to photograph officers from within 100 feet.

The bill calls the behavior an “an interruption, disruption, impediment, or interference that occurs while a peace officer is performing a duty or exercising authority imposed or granted by law…”

Exceptions to the law would be if the photographer is a member of the media with a proper FCC license, or if the photographer is officially working on behalf of law enforcement in some way.

After people began expressing disapproval and outrage over the new bill on social networks, Villabla took to Twitter to explain himself and the proposed law

If the bill were to pass, it would still allow photographers to capture images of police officers — just from 25 feet away instead of up close. It’s a restriction that likely wouldn’t sit well with many, though, especially as it’s common for police to approach photographers to ask them to stop — an action that would itself be enough to prevent photography if this bill were to become law.
    This is a terrible bill IMO. What if you're the one the cop is harassing and you want to record the situation so you can defend yourself? And cops will argue that you're not 25 feet away based on their judgement and in a court of law it's only their judgment that counts. You know there will be officers that abuse this bill if it becomes law.

Ridiculous
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

This is 100% because of the open carry people.
      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Kory Watkin's head just exploded.

Comment

Bullshit.

Comment

Guy works for the same firm that a mentor of mine does.
            Terrible piece of proposed legislation.

Comment

25' is not that far away, but I get it. Then police's perception of 25' would be more like 200'...etc...etc.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I like it. I personally could care less if people video tape me, but stay the fuck out of my personal space when I am doing my job. If you want to get up and personal, get a better camera. It is dangerous for joe dick bag to be walking up on a police officer while he is focused on something else. You could easily get some one or yourself killed because you think it is important to fuck with the police, or get your 15 minutes of fame. Now the whole what if the cop is harassing you thing. I would think, if I am dealing with you in particular, you could video that and I got no issues with that either. But just the random dipshit running up over my shoulder to video what's going on, get the hell out of here with that shit, that is a good way to get detained. I am guessing the 25 feet is based on the knife laws and deadly force roughly. The knife law is 21 feet but still it is in the same range.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

The problem would be actually showing you where 25 feet away. In a perfect world its an acceptable distance as it shouldn't interfere with whats going on. We all know how it will be used and it wont end well for some people.

Comment

Called Texas State House District 93--Representative Matt Krause's office to see if he had a stance on this bill. They are leaning towards no.

Knee jerk reaction is this bill is ridiculous.

Comment

Shit like this has already been ruled on in both the Seventh and First Circuit Courts. Guess what they said. Yep, shit's unconstitutional. Of course we can't expect our legislators to actually understand what is and isn't constitutional, and what has or hasn't been ruled against in the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        I wish it would...

Comment

I think a 10 foot interfering with a police investigation would probably be a better rule

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                            That fucker friend requested me today.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              Shit like this has already been ruled on in both the Seventh and First Circuit Courts. Guess what they said. Yep, shit's unconstitutional. Of course we can't expect our legislators to actually understand what is and isn't constitutional, and what has or hasn't been ruled against in the courts.
                              You know, if some kind gentleman stood over you in the pits while you were working on your G ride, ridiculing your driving and wrenching every time you pulled into the pits, holding his camera, you would wrap a tire iron around his head. Don't try and say you wouldn't, I was pit crew in the dirt car scene for many many years. Absolutely zero of you would tolerate this behavior. Like I said, I am a big fan of open records, cameras, etc, but there are those that go to far.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X