More body cameras for police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More body cameras for police

I agree with this regardless of Ferguson.

The administration also proposed a three-year, $263 million spending package in new federal assistance to local law enforcement, including a plan for 50,000 new body cameras to be worn by officers.
    class joke
    {
    private:
    char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
    double Peas, Carrots;
    string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
    };

I don't really see a problem with body cameras.

Comment

Fines for the department that impact their budgets for when the cameras malfunction or when a file is recorded over. Make it a law that they use them and enforce it.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

According to everyone's favorite board officer, body cameras mean no more officer discretion on tickets and such. Either that, or it was some nonsensical babble he spewed out to cover his tracks. I'm ok with that, if it means justice for officers who have a tendency to abuse authority.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

That's bullshit. It just means that cops can't tap dance on someone's head without having a record of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            According to everyone's favorite board officer, body cameras mean no more officer discretion on tickets and such. Either that, or it was some nonsensical babble he spewed out to cover his tracks. I'm ok with that, if it means justice for officers who have a tendency to abuse authority.
            Exactly, it's a CYA for everyone. In some cases it will validate the officers actions, in others it will hang them. I'm fine with either scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              They already have cameras recording on their dash and use discretion on ticket, verbal, and written warnings. Body cameras will cover the same thing, except that nothing will happen off camera. Hell, how many times do we see them on Cops find small amounts of pot and not charge someone with it because they were polite and honest with the officer? Body cameras will just make the good and bad officers easier to sort out, maybe. I am all for this but I would love a public website for each department where you can watch them in real time along with archived footage to help keep them honest.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Being able to watch in real time would be pretty cool. Especially if you know you're the one being hunted down

Comment

How about we have a federal government with a responsible budget so they don't waste $18 billion dollars on gear they can't use or don't need?

I'm sure most states would love to have some of that wasted cash flow back in their pockets instead of letting someone in the government decide who gets all the neat MRAPs, body armor and new AR-15s they are giving away to cities they like.

Not to mention the supply chain that causes the surplus in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    They already have cameras recording on their dash and use discretion on ticket, verbal, and written warnings. Body cameras will cover the same thing, except that nothing will happen off camera.

Valid point. Another point to consider - Most large departments already have dashcams, etc, but the recordings seem to mysteriously get lost any time there is a need to pull them out for review. Body cameras don't fix that because it is human tampering. Recordings will still get lost when it is convenient for them to disappear. If the IRS can get away with it, so can your run of the mill PD.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      They already have cameras recording on their dash and use discretion on ticket, verbal, and written warnings. Body cameras will cover the same thing, except that nothing will happen off camera. Hell, how many times do we see them on Cops find small amounts of pot and not charge someone with it because they were polite and honest with the officer? Body cameras will just make the good and bad officers easier to sort out, maybe. I am all for this but I would love a public website for each department where you can watch them in real time along with archived footage to help keep them honest.
                      Exactly. Body cam won't change an officers discretion. I'm already recorded and miced on all stops and calls involving a citizen. I click that bad boy on whenever I deal with ANYBODY! The body cams will be able to give video of the officer on calls inside a residence/building where the dash cam can't see. Ill admit, i hate that I'll have another piece of equipment to keep up with. Charge/download/turn on/off. But in time, it'll be just another tool. I am a nerd so I'm always open to new tech! So I'm open to using these.

And I know this will come up... body cams will be a direct download with no user manipulation. In my years, we've always used L3 in-car camera systems. I could only turn on/off (anytime the overhead lights were activated, the camera clicks on. It also records 30 sec prior to initial activation), volume up/down (for listening to in car, i.e. ride alongs. Volume control for actual recording isn't changeable ), and black out screen while it's recording. Once I pull into pd, it automatically starts to d/l.

I love my job and the difference I like to think I make. Even if it's one person/kid/abused spouse/etc in a whole week. I have had nothing to hide in my years of LE, so I welcome the idea of these body mics. If its one step closer to folks trusting the cops, lets do it!

Oh, and ftp

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                        Exactly. Body cam won't change an officers discretion.

I don't think it will either, but if it does, so be it. For the record... This was posted in the Ferguson thread when that originally went down.

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                        Do you REALLY want officers that use no discretion? Because if you really want body cams, then officers are going to be forced to write EVERY ticket, or face neglect of duty allegations when the city council wonders why ticket revenue isn't what it should be. Small amounts of weed? Sorry buddy, this camera caught that and now you have to go to jail. Hell, it's on video. I can't just flush it or let it fly in the wind any more.

Sounds exactly like a response from an LEO that has something to hide.

Comment

263 Million???? That is over 5k for each camera.

I bet that spending bill is PACKED with stuff that has nothing to do with body cams and somehow enriches a few democrat campaign donors.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                            Exactly. Body cam won't change an officers discretion. I'm already recorded and miced on all stops and calls involving a citizen. I click that bad boy on whenever I deal with ANYBODY! The body cams will be able to give video of the officer on calls inside a residence/building where the dash cam can't see. Ill admit, i hate that I'll have another piece of equipment to keep up with. Charge/download/turn on/off. But in time, it'll be just another tool. I am a nerd so I'm always open to new tech! So I'm open to using these.

And I know this will come up... body cams will be a direct download with no user manipulation. In my years, we've always used L3 in-car camera systems. I could only turn on/off (anytime the overhead lights were activated, the camera clicks on. It also records 30 sec prior to initial activation), volume up/down (for listening to in car, i.e. ride alongs. Volume control for actual recording isn't changeable ), and black out screen while it's recording. Once I pull into pd, it automatically starts to d/l.

I love my job and the difference I like to think I make. Even if it's one person/kid/abused spouse/etc in a whole week. I have had nothing to hide in my years of LE, so I welcome the idea of these body mics. If its one step closer to folks trusting the cops, lets do it!

Oh, and ftp
                            I agree with this. If I want to exercise discretion I can at my leisure. No one can make me write anyone a ticket or file shit. Ours back up a full minute, and it can be rather entertaining at times. There is zero ways for anyone to delete a file on this system. The only issues I have seen with all camera systems are the mic box not activating occasionally. Even in the newest systems I have seen this. Random as hell, but it happens. It actually pisses me off when my shit doesn't work. Some of it is comic gold bitches.

You know what else I would like to see. Body cams on politicians. Yep, I bet they would make the police look like angels in some cases. I love it when the biggest crooks scream for accountability.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                              263 Million???? That is over 5k for each camera.

I bet that spending bill is PACKED with stuff that has nothing to do with body cams and somehow enriches a few democrat campaign donors.
                              Electric MRAP's for all!

Comment

Working...
                              X