Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Residents Armed With Assault Rifles Stand Guard Outside White-Owned Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Residents Armed With Assault Rifles Stand Guard Outside White-Owned Business

A group of black Ferguson residents armed with high-powered rifles stood outside a white-owned business in the city during recent riots, protecting it from rioters that looted and burned other businesses. After a grand jury returned no indictment against Darren Wilson, the Ferguson police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown, protesters […]

A group of black Ferguson residents armed with high-powered rifles stood outside a white-owned business in the city during recent riots, protecting it from rioters that looted and burned other businesses.

After a grand jury returned no indictment against Darren Wilson, the Ferguson police officer who shot and killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown, protesters took to the streets and the demonstrations quickly turned into rioting. Several buildings were set ablaze, but a group of heavily armed black men stood outside a Conoco gas station.

One of the residents, a 6-foot-8 man named Derrick Johnson, held an AR-15 assault rifle as he stood in a pickup truck near that store’s entrance. Three other black Ferguson residents joined Johnson in front of the store, each of them armed with pistols.

In a city torn apart by racial tensions, the fact that black residents took up arms to defend a white-owned store made headlines.

The men said they felt indebted to the store’s owner, Doug Merello, who employed them over the course of several years.

The men said Merello always treated them with respect.

“He’s a nice dude, he’s helped us a lot,” said a man identified himself as R.J. The 29-year-old R.J. said the group chased away several groups of teenagers who wanted to loot the store, but also nearly got into a brush with soldiers from the Missouri National Guard, who initially mistook them for looters.

The gas station’s owner said the men definitely saved his store.

“We would have been burned to the ground many times over if it weren’t for them,” said Merello, whose father first bought the store in 1984.

While the black Ferguson residents defended the white-owned store, dozens of other businesses were not as lucky. Officials said more than a dozen businesses received “significant” damage as groups of rioters threw bricks, broke windows, and set fires.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Respect.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Shitty type times brings out the best in others. I saw some people trying to keep looters from that beauty shop that got burned down as well, but they were outnumbered.

Comment

I dont know about yall and maybe Im clueless. I have friends, co-workers, and neighbors that are different ethnicities and we seem to get along and work together great. We all are just average folks making our way through life. I think there just a small group of each ethinicity that wants to stir the pot and cause truoble,. I think the majority of this world just wants to live life peacefully. I really blame the media for the hyping of this racism shit just so they have something to talk about. The government probably keeps this shit going just so we all wont unite. Together we stand, divided we fall.

Comment

I used to think that as well, but I've come to realize that a lot of it has to do with the upbringing of different races. Hate is a learned characteristic.

Comment

I don't know if their laws mirror that of TX, but here all of the looters could have been legally shot to death by the owners of said businesses. It would fall under theft of tangible property

Maybe after a few got popped here and there around the city, it would calm down a bit
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
              I don't know if their laws mirror that of TX, but here all of the looters could have been legally shot to death by the owners of said businesses. It would fall under theft of tangible property

Maybe after a few got popped here and there around the city, it would calm down a bit
              This is true, but you also have to consider that in Texas, the good guys with guns outnumber the bad guys with guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                but also nearly got into a brush with soldiers from the Missouri National Guard, who initially mistook them for looters.
                How did they get around this?

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                  Easily. I would lay money down that the guardsmen were carrying empty weapons an magazines.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                    Easy. They were not running in and out of a store with broken glass. NG probably rolled up and they slung their AR's and sent a guy out to talk to them. Speculation on my part, but this scenario and common sense would cause me zero alarm.

I rolled up on a burglar alarm call one day and a guy in his shorts, hastily slung on shirt, socks and flip flops, was walking around the house, looking at the front of it, looking concerned. He had a fairly large caliber hand gun in his hand. I stepped out of the car and asked if he was the home owner. Yes I was still behind my vehicle but not once did I clear my holster. He said "yeah I am trying to figure out why my alarm is going off, I was in there a sleep". I nodded at his hand and he looked really startled all of the sudden and said" oh shit " and set it directly on the ground. I told him it was cool and to pick it up. We had a good laugh and we went on about our days. Common sense, facial expression, furtive movements, clothing, etc, all play a big role in this job. I highly recognize, that one day , my lack of immediate action due to my trust in people, training, history and my spidey senses may ultimately end in injury or worse. I accept what this job is and my responsibility to not do certain things jut because the law says I can. I am a less is more type of guy in the use of force continuum until I have no other choice. I can usually talk some sense into people before anything ever escalates.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Or the store owner came out to talk to the NG and said "It's cool, they're with me."
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        Easy. They were not running in and out of a store with broken glass. NG probably rolled up and they slung their AR's and sent a guy out to talk to them. Speculation on my part, but this scenario and common sense would cause me zero alarm.

I rolled up on a burglar alarm call one day and a guy in his shorts, hastily slung on shirt, socks and flip flops, was walking around the house, looking at the front of it, looking concerned. He had a fairly large caliber hand gun in his hand. I stepped out of the car and asked if he was the home owner. Yes I was still behind my vehicle but not once did I clear my holster. He said "yeah I am trying to figure out why my alarm is going off, I was in there a sleep". I nodded at his hand and he looked really startled all of the sudden and said" oh shit " and set it directly on the ground. I told him it was cool and to pick it up. We had a good laugh and we went on about our days. Common sense, facial expression, furtive movements, clothing, etc, all play a big role in this job. I highly recognize, that one day , my lack of immediate action due to my trust in people, training, history and my spidey senses may ultimately end in injury or worse. I accept what this job is and my responsibility to not do certain things jut because the law says I can. I am a less is more type of guy in the use of force continuum until I have no other choice. I can usually talk some sense into people before anything ever escalates.
                        Thank you.

Comment

And kudos to those guys standing up for what is right and not for color.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

You are one of the good ones, please be safe out there.

Comment

Wonder what assault rifles they had?

Comment

Working...
                              X