Drawing blood in DWI cases without warrant unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing blood in DWI cases without warrant unconstitutional

AUSTIN -- Police officers across the state will no longer be able to draw the blood of DWI suspects without a warrant the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled Wednesday.

The ruling strikes down a state statute that allows law enforcement officers to issue mandatory blood draws of suspected drunk drivers without their consent or a warrant under certain circumstances, such as a fatal accident or if the suspected drunk driver has previously been convicted on multiple DWIs. The justices ruled the statute violates the fourth amendment of the U.S. Constitution which protects against unreasonable searches and seizures.

Court: Drawing blood in DWI cases without warrant unconstitutional KVUE

"So the court said there are times when it's permissible, but like we do for any fourth amendment issue, we require a warrant unless there is a specific exception or reason not to do it,"explained Jim Harrington, attorney and Director of the Texas Civil Rights Project.

The ruling is based on a case that happened in Nueces County, on the coast. In 2012, police stopped David Villarreal for suspected drunk driving. Because he had two prior DWI convictions, the officers followed the statue and drew blood without his consent or a warrant.

In the decision by the court, Judge Elsa Alcala wrote, "In contrast to parolees and probationers, DWI suspects who have completed their sentences are not free on conditional liberty. Rather, DWI suspects who have discharged their sentences...enjoy absolute liberty from their prior convictions and have no ongoing supervisory relationship."

The ruling leaves room for blood draws in emergency situations. Harrington said one such example would be a deadly accident in a county where a magistrate is not available to sign a warrant immediately. But overall, the ruling knocks out the entire statute saying it violates a person's rights.

"It's one thing to do a breathalyzer, it's quite another to draw your blood because that will show of course all kinds of private information about any kind of medication or any kind of disease you might have. And it's very intrusive," said Harrington.

Some have questioned what role the ruling will play in "no refusal" initiatives where police officers issue blood warrants on all suspected drunk drivers. Harrington said police will have to change their procedure.

"What the practice has been in some jurisdictions is to sort of have this blanket warrant where a cop just calls up a magistrate and says 'I need a warrant,' that's not going to cut it because a requirement of the fourth amendment is there has to be a magistrate who looks at the evidence and makes a determination that there is probable cause," he explained.

A spokesman for CLEAT said it could create problems, telling KVUE News, "it's an example of the court believing that police powers were too broad and so this will make it a little more difficult for officers to accomplish their goal and they'll just have to work harder and go back and get warrants."

Harrington believes the ruling will not open the door to more DWI cases, just unnecessary searches.
    "I can't see how in many instances this will apply to DWI cases because the evidence in a DWI case is going to be the erratic driving or accident caused by the driver and the video that will come out and the breathalyzer," said Harrington. " Here's the thing," he added, "if you refuse to take a breathalayzer, that can be used against you in court. So I mean they already have enough tools in their toolbox to do what they want to do without having to draw out somebody's blood."

Austin Police told KVUE News in most cases, officers obtain warrants for blood draws, but there are some "exigent circumstances" when officers will draw blood without a warrant. Those seven circumstances are outlined in the department's policy manual under section 355.6 (click here to read) and will now fall under the scrutiny of the court.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    "What the practice has been in some jurisdictions is to sort of have this blanket warrant where a cop just calls up a magistrate and says 'I need a warrant,' that's not going to cut it because a requirement of the fourth amendment is there has to be a magistrate who looks at the evidence and makes a determination that there is probable cause," he explained.
    Oh look, a rubber stamp warrant. I have mentioned those many times on here and have been assured that they don't exist.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

And now? Nope. I hope cops actually have to do their job instead of committing assault for you not wanting to incriminate yourself.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Still doesn't go far enough.

Comment

I am glad that I am blessed with the common sense to not engage in DWI in the first place, so how defendants in such cases are proven (or not) to be guilty is of absolutely no concern to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            Oh look, a rubber stamp warrant. I have mentioned those many times on here and have been assured that they don't exist.
            Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            And now? Nope. I hope cops actually have to do their job instead of committing assault for you not wanting to incriminate yourself.
            Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Still doesn't go far enough.

LEADRS is the program used a lot here in Texas. You still have to have your probable cause, SFST's, camera on, audio on, follow them for a while, etc. There is no such thing as a easy DWI. I have never seen a rubber stamp warrant for DWI(Not saying it doesn't happen). This program just allows you to input and use check boxes on a lot of things and it fills out a warrant for you and the offense report with out you having to manually input that stuff over and over again. I have seen guys work on DWI's for 8 hours or more before, for a class B misdemeanor. Our judge would tell you to F off if you called him for a warrant with no PC. I have worked with him and assisted in signing his warrants enough to know he reads every single PC affidavit and warrant that he signs. He will kick that shit back with a vengeance and nasty notes if it doesn't meet the elements of the offense. I have seen him go so far as to release a guy where he didn't like the PC affidavit. I like our judge, he keeps you on your toes.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
              I am glad that I am blessed with the common sense to not engage in DWI in the first place, so how defendants in such cases are proven (or not) to be guilty is of absolutely no concern to me.
              I don't Brake the law, i don give a fuck about mah rights!
              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Officers followed a statue? Fucking morons.

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                  I do brake for pedestrians, unlike many of FTW's finest downtown.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post

I always look forward to your snide little self congratulatory look at me posts in these type of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                      Everyone breaks the law at some point!
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Damn those cops for trying to keep drunk drivers off the road, and prevent them from gaming the system so they can continue drunk driving!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          I always look forward to your snide little self congratulatory look at me posts in these type of threads.
                          A little full of yourself, aren't you? This is Frost's thread, your post is immaterial.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                            Damn those cops for trying to keep drunk drivers off the road, and prevent them from gaming the system so they can continue drunk driving!
                            Exactly. Yay constitution!

Comment

Drawing blood in DWI cases without warrant unconstitutional

Most agencies have 24hr magistrates or access to a judge, so big whoop it'll get signed anyway.

I'll be interested on when they'll treat DWIs like those bullshit continuous family violence charges.
                              Last edited by David; 11-27-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X