Now Vs. the buildup before WWI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Vs. the buildup before WWI

If you are familiar with history, then you know that the event in Sarajevo in 1914 was simply the tinderbox that plunged the world into the First World War. A series of global events, an unprecedented military buildup, and rampant social-Darwinism contributed greatly.

You look around and you see some shockingly similar things (not all of them necessarily bad):

1. Russia trying to reassert dominance over its former Soviet Satellites.
    2. China creating a Navy to bully Vietnam, the Philippines, and Japan.
    3. Germany slowly bleeding Southern Europe with the Euro.
    4. France involved in Military actions in its former African possessions.
    5. USA and UK trying to keep the Persian Gulf and Central Asia from becoming more independent.
    6. Japan rearming its Navy and Air forces.
    7. Iran and North Korea becoming nuclear states and enemies of the West.
    8. Israel either attacking or being attacked by surrounding States that could create a global proxy war.

Are we on the brink or has the world been more or less at this level of uncertainty throughout the duration of your lifetime? Maybe I am simply more aware of the status quo now than I have been in the past but do you predict a cataclysm? A new Cold War? I fear that the meek Western Democracies have created an atmosphere that will lead to a series of very unfortunate events. Call me out if you think I am wrong, but I legitimately fear mass annexations by Russia and China, the use of a nuclear device out of anger, and the end of this current global balance we all so enjoy.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    If you are familiar with history, then you know that the event in Sarajevo in 1914 was simply the tinderbox that plunged the world into the First World War. A series of global events, an unprecedented military buildup, and rampant social-Darwinism contributed greatly.

You look around and you see some shockingly similar things (not all of them necessarily bad):

1. Russia trying to reassert dominance over its former Soviet Satellites.
    2. China creating a Navy to bully Vietnam, the Philippines, and Japan.
    3. Germany slowly bleeding Southern Europe with the Euro.
    4. France involved in Military actions in its former African possessions.
    5. USA and UK trying to keep the Persian Gulf and Central Asia from becoming more independent.
    6. Japan rearming its Navy and Air forces.
    7. Iran and North Korea becoming nuclear states and enemies of the West.
    8. Israel either attacking or being attacked by surrounding States that could create a global proxy war.

Are we on the brink or has the world been more or less at this level of uncertainty throughout the duration of your lifetime? Maybe I am simply more aware of the status quo now than I have been in the past but do you predict a cataclysm? A new Cold War? I fear that the meek Western Democracies have created an atmosphere that will lead to a series of very unfortunate events. Call me out if you think I am wrong, but I legitimately fear mass annexations by Russia and China, the use of a nuclear device out of anger, and the end of this current global balance we all so enjoy.
    I don't disagree with you in the least, but feel we have been on a crafted edge for a very long time. And I think that some people(s)/societies are incapable of understanding freedom, liberty, or democracy even and need to live under the heavy hand of a dictator or war lord that will keep them in check.

Really, it feels like a bullshit chess game with 25 people making decisions that will alter the course for billions of humans.

Comment

But just in case, I need to scope one of these out.

Comment

The thing that scares me the most is our current leadership basically dismissing the Monroe Doctrine. http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/1...trine-is-over/

I have a feeling the next big war is going to start in our hemisphere.

Comment

I feel like we're basically pre-WWI Prussia at this point.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Russia and, to a slightly lesser extent, China are (or seem to be) itching for a fight. It seems like they are both either daring the west to act, or are trying to cause an incident that would excuse a retaliation.
            For example: http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/nor...e-f-1657621776
            Russia seems to be doing a few things deliberately:
            1) Sabre rattling
            2) Defense probing
            3) Acting in a reckless manner that may cause an incident that involves a collision.

None of those bode well for the west, and Putin seems to be a chip off of the shoe-banging block.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Karma.

Comment

When the next war starts and the us will be busy with one thing the other countries will strike.

IE if we defend taiwan against china Israel will be attacked as well as europe.
                We have too many treaties that we will not be able to uphold.

Comment

I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    I feel like we're basically pre-WWI Prussia at this point.
                    We don't have a monarchy though. The last Prussian monarch (Kaiser Wilhelm II) and the last Russian Tsar (Nicholas II) were first cousins with the British King (George V). Even the Spanish King (Alfonso XIII) married one of King George's cousins.

Comment

what should i have for lunch today?

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                        what should i have for lunch today?
                        $3.99 Spaghetti w/meatballs and a salad at Fazolis.

Comment

i was excited for spaghetti but then when i looked.
                          Last edited by Tremor14; 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                            i was excited for spaghetti but then when i looked.
                            Oh yeah, it says DFW in the web url. Well I'd rather have Grandy's and Braums but at least we have Fazolis in Waco.

Comment

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X