Here's What You Need To Know About MyRA, Obama's New Retirement Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's What You Need To Know About MyRA, Obama's New Retirement Program

In last night's State of the Union Address, President Obama announced a new retirement saving program called MyRA, which he plans to launch without any new legislation. But he didn't say a lot about what it is.

Now, we have additional info on the program from the White House. Basically, it's a program of starter retirement accounts aimed at people who don't have a lot of savings. Here are some key details:

MyRA would be a program of small Roth IRAs with access to a special, safe investment that pays a little better than Treasury bills. Remember, a Roth IRA is a retirement account where you contribute after-tax earnings, and can then withdraw money in retirement without ever paying tax on your investment returns.
    Employers wouldn't run or fund the accounts, but they'd participate by letting employees fund them through payroll deductions, which could be as small as $5 per pay period.
    Almost any employee of a participating employer could join. You just have to make less than $191,000.
    Accountholders could accrue balances of up to $15,000, at which point they'd have to roll the balance over into a regular, private Roth IRA. Voluntary rollover and withdrawal would be availalble anytime, and it looks like normal Roth IRA withdrawal penalty rules would apply.
    tsp folio

TSP Folio
    See Also
    Obama Will Likely Offer Election-Year Agenda At State Of The Union
    First Woman In Naval History Set To Receive 4th Star
    This State Of The Union Will Be A Pivotal Moment In The Obama Presidency

The accounts would be invested in a security similar to the "G Fund" available to federal employees participating in the Thrift Savings Plan. This fund has all the advantages of short-term Treasury bills (no credit risk or interest rate risk) but pays an interest rate based on the average of outstanding long-term Treasury bond rates. That's a nice little interest rate bonus. The value of the difference varies over time; this chart from TSP Folio shows how the G Fund generally outperformed T-Bills by a percentage point or two from 1987 to 2010. In 2012, with 3-month Treasury rates effectively at zero, the G Fund returned 1.47%.

Basically, the idea is to get retirement accounts to people who normally wouldn't have them, by making them available at little cost to either employer or employee, and offering the inducement of a little extra yield.

This program will have a modest cost to taxpayers: Essentially, instead of issuing short-term Treasury bills at almost no cost, the federal government will do a little bit of its borrowing through this G Fund-like security, paying an extra point or two of interest in the process. If you imagine a program at scale with 50 million accounts averaging $5,000 in balances, the cost to taxpayers would be $2.5 billion per year for every point of interest rate premium
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Just a step toward the taking over of private IRA's or 401K's.

Comment

I thought social security was supposed to cover people who didn't set anything aside for retirement.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

wait, you can make up to 191k a year and not save?
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          I thought social security was supposed to cover people who didn't set anything aside for retirement.
          ^This. That was the sales pitch, wasn't it?

What's really retarded is that in-duh-viduals can set this up on their own WITHOUT the government's help. Create Roth IRA, auto withdraw from your checking account each pay period.
          Last edited by GhostTX; 01-30-2014, 02:57 PM.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Sounds like another "Rob Peter to pay Paul" plan.

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
            "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                Just a step toward the taking over of private IRA's or 401K's.
                This is what hes wanting. Just like SS they are foaming at the mouth to get there hands on it.

Comment

I think there's something like 20 plus trillion in IRA's and 401k's out there. That's just cash that he wants.

Comment

I agree that this is a possible step in the direction of seizing private retirement assets. What's funny to me is, this same discussion on other various internet message boards will get you shouted down for being some kind of troll...and yet these people consider themselves gurus of financial planning.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                      wait, you can make up to 191k a year and not save?
                      I know a guy who made 130k and was broke.

Comment

Jesus Christ.... Nothing is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          I know a guy who made 130k and was broke.
                          I know a guy who MAKES 350k per year and IS broke

And I can only shake my head at his priorities
                          WH

Comment

They won't have to seize assets. All they need to do is spend the country into a currency crisis and then they will just pass legislation saying that a percentage of new IRA or 401K contributions have to go into treasury debt. Once the public accepts that, each new "crisis" will just mean they up the percentage. The sheep who vote for them will accept it too. We are surrounded by people who know nothing about money or personal responsibility, all they know is that they are entitled to their way of life.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              They won't have to seize assets. All they need to do is spend the country into a currency crisis and then they will just pass legislation saying that a percentage of new IRA or 401K contributions have to go into treasury debt. Once the public accepts that, each new "crisis" will just mean they up the percentage. The sheep who vote for them will accept it too. We are surrounded by people who know nothing about money or personal responsibility, all they know is that they are entitled to their way of life.
                              Andrew Wilkow made an interesting point Friday. What will happen is Obama will call over to the new head of the Fed and tell them to just cut off the QE which will send the markets into freefall. When that happens, the government will let the people scream for them to 'do something' and he'll call and the Fed will start it back up to stabilize the market and people will be told "See? The only safe bonds and stocks are treasury bonds which is why you NEED MyRa"

Comment

Working...
                              X