Colorado Mulls Proposal to Require ‘Pre-Wedding’ Classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Mulls Proposal to Require ‘Pre-Wedding’ Classes

Colorado is considering a proposal that would require all engaged couples to take a 10-hour “pre-wedding” class before tying the knot.

Second marriages would require a 20-hour class, and third marriages would require a 30-hour course.

Attorneys Rebecca Rose Woodland and Heather Hansen joined Neil Cavuto on Your World today to discuss the proposal.

“You have a fundamental right in this country to be married, they are protected rights we have, and there aren’t requirements to do so other than getting a license and some basic things,” Woodland said.

Hansen said some states mandate education before residents can get divorced if they have children. “Why shouldn’t they be able to mandate that you have certain types of education before you can get married?” she asked.

“I’m not saying there aren’t benefits, but do I want the government to tell me what a marriage is?” Woodland asked.

Fox News Flash keeps you up to date on the news being made and opinions being given across all of Fox News’ platforms.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

"Well, I would not feel so all alone. Everybody must get stoned."

Then we can tell them what to do in an easier fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like a reasonable idea. Wish someone would regulate who can/can't have kids. Too many people having kids are that should not be allowed too.
      sigpic

Comment

If you want to incentivize them by giving couple who take the class a tax deduction of some sort, great. You shouldn't legislate this kind of shit though.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

There are states on all sides of Colorado that won't have that requirement, if someone wants to get around the law it's easy. Texas waives the waiting period and reduces the license fee if you attend a marriage class before hand. States should be free to do whatever they want. If the citizens don't like it they can either leave or change their government.

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
            Seems like a reasonable idea. Wish someone would regulate who can/can't have kids. Too many people having kids are that should not be allowed too.
            Slippery slope and that is to far down.
            Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

not something the state should be considering even having a discussion about.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                If you want to incentivize them by giving couple who take the class a tax deduction of some sort, great. You shouldn't legislate this kind of shit though.

Yup. This is ridiculous. There really shouldn't even be a license requirement. In the end none of it really means anything anyway. If two people want to be with each other all of this shit is completely useless. Good luck telling a woman that though.

Comment

In TX you get a discount ($60 off?) on your marriage license fee if you take a class.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    In TX you get a discount ($60 off?) on your marriage license fee if you take a class.
                    IIRC, the lady at the desk in Ft Worth said " and you two took a wedding class with your church or something, RIGHT?" and we nodded.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Anyone getting married a second time needs an evaluation, a third time should require a procedure to pull your head out of your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                        Obamacare covers abortions and birth control, now all the people getting handouts have access to it without going through planned parenthood. All we need now is an executive order that changes the tax code to eliminate the EIC and limit dependent deductions to a reasonable number. If there isn't an incentive to have welfare babies and the government is paying for birth control we'll see a drop in welfare baby populations.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                          Yup. This is ridiculous. There really shouldn't even be a license requirement. In the end none of it really means anything anyway. If two people want to be with each other all of this shit is completely useless. Good luck telling a woman that though.
                          Yep. If you accept that the state has the authority to license relationships, you accept their requirements that the authority places upon it
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                            No kidding. That's way too involved. Nobody sees that everything the government touches turns into a nightmare of shit.
                            Originally posted by Buzzo
                            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              “You have a fundamental right in this country to be married, they are protected rights we have, and there aren’t requirements to do so other than getting a license and some basic things,” Woodland said.
                              LOLz, that sounds like the textbook definition of a "right," right?
                              If you want to incentivize them by giving couple who take the class a tax deduction of some sort, great. You shouldn't legislate this kind of s though.
                              Right!
                              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                              X