DOD official: Snowden ‘stole everything – literally everything’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD official: Snowden ‘stole everything – literally everything’

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden stole vastly more information than previously speculated, and is holding it at ransom for his own protection.

“What’s floating is so dangerous, we’d be behind for twenty years in terms of access (if it were to be leaked),” a ranking Department of Defense official told the Daily Caller.

“He stole everything – literally everything,” the official said.

Last month British and U.S. intelligence officials speculated Snowden had in his possession a “doomsday cache” of intelligence information, including the names of undercover intelligence personnel stationed around the world.

“Sources briefed on the matter” told Reuters that such a cache could be used as an insurance policy in the event Snowden was captured, and that, “the worst was yet to come.”

The officials cited no hard evidence of such a cache, but indicated it was a possible worst-case-scenario. Some version of that scenario appears to have come true.

“It’s only accessible for a few hours a day, and is triple encrypted to the point where no one can break it,” the official said of the data cloud where Snowden has likely hidden the information.

According to the official, there are at least two others in possession of the code to access the information, and, “if we nail him – he’ll release the data.”

“Everything you don’t want the enemy to know, he has,” the official said. “Who we’re listening to, what we’re after – they’d shut us down.”

The damage would be “of biblical proportions,” the official said.

Another official from the NSA task force commissioned to assess the data stolen and leaked by Snowden said on television recently that granting Snowden amnesty is “worth having a conversation about” in order to secure any potential stolen data.

Director of the NSA Gen. Keith Alexander took to 60 Minutes Sunday opposing the idea, and said that people need to be held accountable for their actions. The White House stated Monday it would not be changing its policy regarding Snowden.

The NSA director has repeatedly testified before Congress about the revealed programs, and continues to state that the leaks have compromised U.S. national security.

Alexander announced in October he would be retiring as NSA director and head of U.S. Cyber Command effective March, and a recent White House task force charged with improving NSA transparency has suggested appointing a civilian head to steer the signals intelligence agency.

The official said that following Alexander’s retirement, he doesn’t “know how (the amnesty conversation) is going to play out.”

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden stole vastly more information than previously speculated, and is holding it at ransom for his own protection.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Lol

Comment

The United States has turned into a Comedy of Errors.

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I hope he destroys the whole thing. Our country needs a good douching.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
          I hope he destroys the whole thing. Our country needs a good douching.
          x2

Comment

I know it's probably just a coincidence but an ex special forces recruit happened to download everything the NSA had to offer while General Petraeus was being railroaded.

It's never a good idea to burn former generals, especially ones that were also CIA directors.

Comment

I don't have a problem with this. The NSA was willfully breaking the law and got caught with a handful of their dick.

Comment

So when do the details on area 51 and the alien coverups get released?
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Fuck it, I hope he releases it all. Fuxk this sorry ass government we have.
                  Vortex rear stand $75
                  8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                  My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                  11 4 door
                  13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post

“He stole everything – literally everything,” the official said.
                    LOL

WH

Comment

Maybe they should leave the guy alone

Comment

Former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton spoke out against former government contractor Edward Snowden for leaking classified details on the National Security Agency's controversial surveillance practices, suggesting Snowden should "swing from a tall oak tree" as punishment.

Speaking on Fox News on Monday, Bolton, who served under former President George W. Bush, characterized Snowden's actions as treason, and urged against any public talk of amnesty.

"I must say absent some other important piece of information, it has to be one of the dumbest things that I've seen in a long time, to be speculating about it publicly, even if they are contemplating a deal with Snowden some kind of amnesty," Bolton said. "The last thing that people ought to be doing is speculating about it publicly. It will inevitably make it a political football and enhance Snowden's bargaining power."

Bolton continued, "My view is that Snowden committed treason, he ought to be convicted of that, and then he ought to swing from a tall oak tree. But even if you don’t believe that, if you’re gonna say anything publicly, that is closer to what you should be saying to enhance our own bargaining leverage."

Bolton's remarks came in response to NSA official Rick Ledgett's suggestion it is "worth having a conversation about" amnesty for Snowden.

"I would need assurances that the remainder of the data could be secured and my bar for those assurances would be very high," Ledgett told CBS News during an interview that aired on Sunday's "60 Minutes." "It would be more than just an assertion on his part."

NSA Director Keith Alexander, however, disagrees with Ledgett.

"I think people have to be held accountable for their actions," Alexander told CBS. "Because what we don't want is the next person to do the same thing, race off to Hong Kong and to Moscow with another set of data knowing they can strike the same deal."

Comment

Another one of these guys.

Bolton supported the Vietnam War but enlisted in the Maryland Army National Guard to avoid being sent overseas, and consequently did not serve in Vietnam. He wrote in his Yale 25th reunion book "I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lost."[19] In an interview, Bolton discussed his comment in the reunion book, explaining that he decided to avoid service in Vietnam because "by the time I was about to graduate in 1970, it was clear to me that opponents of the Vietnam War had made it certain we could not prevail, and that I had no great interest in going there to have Teddy Kennedy give it back to the people I might die to take it away from."[20][21]
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                            Maybe they should leave the guy alone
                            What they should have done is worked out a deal with the Russians and had him extradited as a criminal. Plant drugs on him, frame him for smuggling plutonium, tie him to terrorism, something. Keep the facts within the intelligence community and keep him out of the media.

Personally I'm glad he did what he did and think it's a disgrace what our government has done, but the rest of the world didn't need to know about it.

Comment

Working...
                            X