In massive blow to NSA, judge says phone spying likely unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In massive blow to NSA, judge says phone spying likely unconstitutional

A U.S. District Court judge released an early decision Monday saying the National Security Agency’s bulk spying on almost all phone calls including U.S. parties is likely a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Judge Richard Leon released a preliminary injunction forbidding the signals intelligence agency from collecting any cellphone metadata from the Verizon accounts of conservative activist Larry Klayman and one of his legal clients.

The order was left open for appeal, but it will likely be precedent-setting.

Leon’s injunction said that NSA programs like PRISM, which collect massive amounts of consumer metadata, could be considered violations against the unreasonable searches and seizures prohibited by the Fourth Amendment.

“I cannot imagine a more ‘indiscriminate’ and ‘arbitrary invasion’ than this systematic and high-tech collection and retention of personal data on virtually every single citizen for purposes of querying it and analyzing it without judicial approval,” Leon said in the injunction.

The judge went on to say that the agency has failed to prove its favorite defense of the programs — that they have prevented terrorist attacks.

“Plaintiffs have a very significant expectation of privacy in an aggregated collection of their telephone metadata covering the last five years, and the NSA’s Bulk Telephony Metadata Program significantly intrudes on that expectation,” Leon said. “I have significant doubts about the efficacy of the metadata collection program as a means of conducting time-sensitive investigations in cases involving imminent threats of terrorism.”

Similar cases are pending in multiple federal courts, but Leon’s ruling is the first to seemingly contradict multiple re-authorizations of NSA domestic data collection programs by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and the PATRIOT Act.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

"Likely"...really?
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Well, let's just look at the ol' outdated Fourth Amendment of the US Constitution.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

It would seem that to collect any data on citizens, they would need probable cause and a warrant. They get around that by claiming that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy when you "voluntarily distribute" information by say, throwing out the trash, or using a device that broadcasts data like your cell phone.

I'm curious to see how this one ends up. Could be a real game changer if it ever makes it to the Supreme Court.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

NOTHING WILL HAPPEN

Just another inconvenient part of the Constitution that is ignored (By both sides of the isle)

This NSA building LOVES DFWMustangs.net.

I can only dream of the query hits to our IP....

Comment

That's why it's called spying. We aren't suppose to know about it. Close your eyes and cover your ears and everything will be alright.

Comment

And for the NSA, fuck Obummer, Pelosi, Reid and all of the other jackasses.

Comment

Too bad they can't sync their gear properly. How many arc flashes are they up to now at the 100MW disaster center?

Comment

They will keep doing it.
                Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
                  NOTHING WILL HAPPEN

Just another inconvenient part of the Constitution that is ignored (By both sides of the isle)

This NSA building LOVES DFWMustangs.net.

I can only dream of the query hits to our IP....
                  I wanted to punch Chris Krok in the throat last night. I happened to listen to about 5 minutes of his show. He basically said that the government has every right to do so, he's thankful for fucking TSA retards (and thinks they need more), and that the government only monitors a maximum of 60 people.

He's so scared of a terrorist, that he said he was willing to give up so many of his liberties. What an idiot. "I believe in the constitution, conservative values, etc..." sure, ass wipe.

I just ruined lunch for myself.
                  Originally posted by Buzzo
                  Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Citizens in Utah are looking at depriving those nifty NSA buildings of the water it takes to cool the systems. A video was put out saying "We may have to let you build it but the water belongs to us and 1.7 million gallons of water a day in a desert is outrageous."
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                      "Likely"...really?
                      He's not going to out right say that it is yet. He was ruling on a specific injunction and justifying with the "likely" tag. There is still a trial to go through before he makes his final ruling.

This is one of the opening salvos in what will likely be a fight in the Supreme Court. Frankly the NSA either gets turned on its head or we are doomed as a free nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                        Frankly the NSA either gets turned on its head or we are doomed as a free nation.
                        I agree wholeheartedly, it's gone too far already.

Comment

Working...
                        X