Sheila Jackson Lee Suggests 'Martial Law' to End Government Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheila Jackson Lee Suggests 'Martial Law' to End Government Shutdown

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX), who has been rumored as being considered to replace Janet Napolitano to head the Department of Homeland Security, used some very strange language earlier this week to characterize a sentiment for a clean resolution to end the government shutdown. She labeled it a form of "martial law."

FUCK YOU Bigaboo!!!

This just proves the stupidity of people today... this women is a complete bafoon
    sigpic

Comment

U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, raised a few eyebrows Monday when she suggested using “martial law” as a means to pass the clean continuing resolution that would put an end to the partial government shutdown.

“It’s something called a continuing resolution,” Lee said, “but it’s a bill that you put on the floor that has been passed already by Republicans and Democrats in the United States Senate… Republican and Democratic senators have already voted for this clean bill that we could vote on today. We have martial law. What that means, and my colleagues know what it means, is that you can put a bill on in just minutes.”

Americans immediately had thoughts of armed soldiers and tanks patrolling streets across the land.

Apparently, though, “martial law” is actually an obscure term for fast-track legislation, a “same-day rule” that would allow Congress to pass a bill, oftentimes without reading it, according to a discussion about it in a 2002 Congressional Record from the House of Representatives.

Paul Joseph Watson, from Infowars.com, explained it further, but noted that Lee’s suggestion would violate the Constitution.

According to Watson:

The term “martial law” in a legislative context is somewhat obscure but it has been used before to define lawmakers’ ability to “fast track” bills without going through the usual congressional process.

However, Lee’s insistence that a Senate-approved resolution to fund the federal government be fast-tracked via “martial law” appears to conflict with Article I, Section 7, Clause I of the Constitution, which states, “All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives.”

This clause was included by the founders to ensure that decisions related to the power of the purse reside with the legislative body which is closest to the American people.

The last time martial law was mentioned by a member of Congress was back in 2008 when Rep. Brad Sherman revealed how lawmakers were threatened with “martial law in America” by then Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson if they rejected the TARP bailout package.

More from Watson at Infowars.

Comment

This is the same bitch that gave all her grandchildren grant money that was supposed to be distributed for vetted children's educations.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          This is the same bitch that gave all her grandchildren grant money that was supposed to be distributed for vetted children's educations.
          Wasn't that Eddie Bernice Johnson from Dallas, or are both of them guilty of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Wasn't that Eddie Bernice Johnson from Dallas, or are both of them guilty of that?
            No, you're right. It's just same-same to me I guess.

Comment

This is the same twunt who cried racism because Hurricanes aren't named with enough "black" names.

Knowing the area of Houston that she represents, I'm not surprised her dumb ass gets re-elected. But, to appoint her to be the head of anything is insanity.
              - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
              1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

She also asked if you could she where we planted the flag when we put men on Mars.

Comment

Working...
                X