Israel 'retweets' 1967 war as it happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel 'retweets' 1967 war as it happened

Pretty cool. May have to get a twitter account just to see this.

AFP - Israel's army was Wednesday giving a "live" blow-by-blow account of the 1967 Six Day War, tweeting each air strike at the exact time it occurred 46 years ago in an epic replay which began early in the morning.

@IDF1967 "is an official Israel Defence Forces account that is aimed at retweeting the events of the Six Day War in live time," an army spokesman told AFP.

The account was tweeting key events in the battle against the armies of Egypt, Jordan and Syria that took place from 5 to 10 June 1967, and includes pictures and videos, the army said.

The tweets are mostly in Hebrew, with some translated into English.

"In response to repeated provocations by Egypt, the State of Israel and the IDF are going to war. We will not sit idly as the enemy forces tighten the noose around our necks," the opening tweet said around 8:00am (0500 GMT) when Israel landed its first pre-emptive air strike 46 years ago.

By Wednesday afternoon, @IDF1967 had more than 1,000 followers, its posts showing pictures of Israeli soldiers and tanks in Sinai, and various other battle footage.

The microblogging project began as Israel and the Palestinians separately marked the start of the 1967 conflict, when Israeli forces seized Gaza, the West Bank and east Jerusalem, with the Palestinians mourning it as the "naksa" or setback.

I will say that the 1967 Six-Day War represents one of the most tactically perfect victories in history of armed conflict. That being said I do disagree with their actions regarding the illegal annexation of land from Egypt and Syria (an action the United Nations Security Council universally condemned).
    This has been discussed on the board before, and the consensus is that to the victor go the spoils, regardless of how illegal it may be.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

It's called the spoils of war. You pick a fight and lose? You lose land. There's nothing illegal about it. It's been the rule of war since man first started wars
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        It's called the spoils of war. You pick a fight and lose? You lose land. There's nothing illegal about it. It's been the rule of war since man first started wars
        Except it was illegal according to the United States and the rest of the United Nations.

It's okay, Egypt defeated the mighty Israeli army in 1973 by using water cannons.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Working...
        X