Peggy noonan thinks somebody might lose it over this irs scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peggy noonan thinks somebody might lose it over this irs scandal

There’s a congressional process going on to investigate what exactly happened went into the IRS targeting politically conservative groups in 2012. Even so, the Wall Street Journal‘s Peggy Noonan thinks something really crazy could happen before this whole thing is over.

She writes in her Friday column:

Here is the thing. The politicization of government employees wouldn’t have worried a lot of us 40, 30 or even 20 years ago. But since then, as a country, we have become, as individuals, less respectful of political differences and even of each other, as everything—all parts of American life—has become more political, more partisan, more divided and more aggressive.

So, what does that mean?

What does it mean when half the country—literally half the country—understands that the revenue-gathering arm of its federal government is politically corrupt, sees them as targets, and will shoot at them if they try to raise their heads? That is the kind of thing that can kill a country, letting half its citizens believe that they no longer have full political rights.

Oh.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

My grand father watched the rise of Nazisms from the inside and warned me what to watch for; I am seeing what I was warned against everyday in the news.

This will not end until the apparatchiks of the state AND their families and hanging from their necks from the trees in front of their houses. The big guys at the top are too had to get to and are very replaceable. The functionaries at the bottom are just sheep and it will all come to an end once they are afraid to go to work.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

She has a point, especially when you realize that it was less than a third of the country that were against the British in the Revolutionary War. The rest were either loyalists or neutral.

The Civil War, which the South lost only due to inferior infrastructure and running out of able bodied men to fight.

The South now is pretty much the manufacturing half of the US, the opposite was true then.
      Now, most of the people in the Armed forces are from the South.
      All of the advantages the yankees held to win the Civil War are now the South's.

Do I see this happening? Probably not. Do I see a different outcome were the same dividing lines drawn as the civil war? Probably so.
      Last edited by sc281; 06-03-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy Noonan View Post
        ...as a country, we have become, as individuals, less respectful of political differences and even of each other, as everything—all parts of American life—has become more political, more partisan, more divided and more aggressive.
        Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        This will not end until the apparatchiks of the state AND their families and hanging from their necks from the trees in front of their houses.
        I would say she is correct in that assessment. Good Lord...
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          I would say she is correct in that assessment. Good Lord...
          lol. So true.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
            Do I see this happening? Probably not. Do I see a different outcome were the same dividing lines drawn as the civil war? Probably so.
            I agree and as much as I want a change I don't want any kind of civil war in the sense that the bloodshed would be an untold amount for both sides.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Working...
            X