Detroit mayor wants city employees to live in city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit mayor wants city employees to live in city

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing says that Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr, who has threatened to take the city into bankruptcy over its unsustainable finances, is bluffing. “I think he’s using it, at this point, judiciously to make sure that he can use it as leverage more than anything else,” Bing told the press. “He said to me, more than once, ‘[bankruptcy] is not where I want to go, but at least it’s on the table, and if I have to go there, nobody’s gonna like it.’”
    Bing added that he was glad he was leaving office thanks to Detroit’s status as an undeclared disaster area. “When you talk about a $15 billion debt and long-term liability issue, you don’t solve that in a short period of time. So that is somebody else’s issue at some point. And I’m glad that’s not me!”
    Bing said that the city had seen the flight of its most important assets, “police and fire.” More than half no longer live within the city, so “not only don’t people feel safe anymore, but you also lose the tax benefits that you were getting.”
    Bing wants to pass a law forcing the city to hire people who must stay within the city for seven years. “In seven years a lot of things can change,” Bing explained, neglecting to explain how the city could legally force employees to stay within the city limits.
    Ben Shapiro is Editor-At-Large of Breitbart News and author of the New York Times bestseller “Bullies: How the Left’s Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences America” (Threshold Editions, January 8, 2013).
    Bing wants to pass a law forcing the city to hire people who must stay within the city for seven years.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Good. Maybe then they will give a fuck.

Comment

I absolutely think if you work for a city, you should be living in that city and pay the taxes that your wages and benefit draw from

Comment

And you will also be able to know what programs and services work and what does not. What good are you working for a city you know nothing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          And you will also be able to know what programs and services work and what does not. What good are you working for a city you know nothing about?
          It's Detroit. They know about the city, and that is likely why they live as far away as possible?
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

We have to live within 20min of a city limit sign to be employed.
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Ill be goddamned if my employer tells me what city I can/cannot live in. I'd be looking for a new job.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                It's Detroit. They know about the city, and that is likely why they live as far away as possible?
                Well now yeah because everyone had that attitude and its gone to the savages.

Comment

What does it really matter? It is perfectly understandable for any emergency personal.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    Ill be goddamned if my employer tells me what city I can/cannot live in. I'd be looking for a new job.
                    To be fair, if you were an employee of the city of Detroit, you probably wouldn't have enough sense to start looking.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

How are you even employed? Seems to me you don't like anyone telling you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        To be fair, if you were an employee of the city of Detroit, you probably wouldn't have enough sense to start looking.
                        These are facts that are true. Lol

How are you even employed? Seems to me you don't like anyone telling you anything.
                        I know what my job is, and I do it well. Extraneous bullshit is exactly that.

Comment

Well now yeah because everyone had that attitude and its gone to the savages.
                          You might have cause and effect backwards...
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

This. The only time I agreed with my employer having restrictions on where I lived was when I was in the military, but they used common sense about it most of the time, and they had good reasons for that requirement.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Yeah, but if it's in your contract and you sign.....

Comment

Working...
                              X