U.S. will ‘shortly’ be arming Syrian rebels: Key senator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. will ‘shortly’ be arming Syrian rebels: Key senator

The United States will "shortly" begin arming Syrian rebels, looking to boost moderate factions over al-Qaida-affiliated extremists whose rise would be a national security "nightmare," the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee told CBS News on Tuesday.

"I do think we’ll be arming the opposition shortly," Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee said in an interview. "We’re doing a lot more there on the ground than really is known, but we do have to change the equation."

"I think you all know the moderate opposition groups that we support are not as good at fighting, they’re not as good as delivering humanitarian aid, and we need to change the balance," Corker said.

President Barack Obama has resisted giving high-tech weapons to rebels fighting to topple strongman Bashar Assad in a civil war that has claimed at least 70,000 lives, according to United Nations estimates. But there have been news reports over the past year that the United States has agents on the ground helping to steer weapons to rebel groups thought to be more moderate. And recent U.S. intelligence disclosures that Assad's forces may have used chemical weapons have ramped up pressure on Obama to do even more. The president has long seemed disinclined to escalate the American role.

Corker suggested that arming friendly rebel groups could prompt Russia, a longtime patron of Assad, to embrace calls for a political agreement that sees the Syrian president relinquish power. And he expressed hope that it would boost moderates over more effective rebel fighting forces like the al-Qaida-affiliated al-Nusra Front.

"A nightmare would be al-Nusra, if you will, gaining control of Syria," Corker said. "That’s worse than Assad being there."

And the senator suggested that the United States could keep any weapons it provides out of the hands of extremist fighters.

"I think we can. We’ve known for a long time which of the groups are more moderate and more secular," he said, before acknowledging that "you never have total control."

Corker's comments came a day after Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez, a Democrat, introduced legislation to arm Syrian rebels, punish countries that arm Assad's regime, and stabilize the country when and if he loses power.

Menendez's measure would greenlight the flow of arms from the United States to rebel groups "that have gone through a thorough vetting process" to assess their commitment to human rights and curbing the spread of weapons know-how. It would forbid the transfer of shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles. The legislation would also create a $250 million "transition fund" and enable Obama to impose sanctions on any entity that provides Assad's regime with military equipment or oil.

National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden declined to comment specifically on Menendez’s proposal, but stressed that “we are working urgently to end the conflict in Syria and hasten a transition from Bashar al-Assad to a democratic Syria that is inclusive of all Syrians.” She also noted that Obama has imposed sanctions on key regime figures and supporters five separate times since March 2011.

“As the president has said, we continue to explore every available, practical and responsible means to end the suffering of the Syrian people and accelerate a political transition,” Hayden told Yahoo News.

More and more US involvement in Syria seems inevitable at this point.

Since that worked so well for us in Desert Storm

Comment

Any side is the wrong choice in Syria. I guess as long as they eventually get rid of a dictator and have free elections we'll keep propping up the friendlier militant muslims. At least congress won't let us give them F-16s and M-1s yet.

Comment

Go even further back to the 70's, when we trained and armed a guy named Osama Bin Ladin and his 'freedom fighters' to fight the Soviet Union.

Comment

It's all about Iran.

Comment

In other news: Former Syrian rebels and Muslim Brotherhood party members have declared war on the US and Israel, firing shots at Israel with US made F16's and Abrams tanks
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              In other news: Former Syrian rebels and Muslim Brotherhood party members have declared war on the US and Israel, firing shots at Israel with US made F16's and Abrams tanks
              At least we are helping take down the better trained, organized and equipped Syrian military now. Unfortunately it's by training, better organizing and better equipping the Muslim Brotherhood fighters. Too bad the current regime at least speaks English and their only goal isn't converting the world to Islam.

Comment

I have always wondered if the tech we give out has some sort of kill-switch or neutered tech/avionics in it.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                  I have always wondered if the tech we give out has some sort of kill-switch or neutered tech/avionics in it.
                  Ask the Venezuelans or Iranians how well their F-14s are flying these days.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                    There is certain tech that, by law, cannot be handed out to anyone but our guys. That doesn't mean they can't buy patches from other countries like...oh, Egypt
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

So we are giving weapons to another country so they can defend themselves from the bad guys while at the same time taking our guns away because guns are evil?!!
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                        So we are giving weapons to another country so they can defend themselves from the bad guys while at the same time taking our guns away because guns are evil?!!
                        They are more trustworthy than we are

Comment

They do the same thing with Mexican Cartels too, then blame American citizens and American gun shops for the increased violence.

Comment

That's ok. They don't realize that we loaded them with remote shutoff switches. They can be disabled by some grunt in Ohio at the flick of a switch. Just like when I brick a stolen laptop.

Comment

Working...
                            X