Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center rated best school in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center rated best school in the US

Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center is located on the south side of the Trinity river, south of downtown Dallas. On the news, they said it was rated the #1 school in the US. I started thinking about what it takes to get in there and how it's paid for. Since it is a magnet school, it is treated like a public school and paid for with our tax dollars. Of course, you have to qualify to go there.

I went on their website. They proudly proclaim their "diversity" in their student makeup. http://yaewell041townviewhs.homestea...rld_class.html

There it is.

High-Achieving, Diverse Student Population
    Yvonne A. Ewell Townview Magnet Center is among the very few schools in the United States with high-achieving students while maintaining an ethnically diverse student population (current ratio: 30% Anglos, 30% Hispanics, 30% African-Americans, 10% American-Indians and Asian-Americans). It has consistently received notable recognition at the state and national levels as America's best high school with advanced academic curriculum comparable to a university setting. Click here to view some of student awards and school recognitions mentioned in the district website.

As I was looking at their site, I noticed something unusual about the photos.

Something is a little off. Aren't they diverse? Where are the little white faces in that picture. Aren't they suppose to be split 30/30/30/10 like the website proudly proclaims. I decided to go to the various sites to see the racial breakdown of the students.

Student Diversity

This is the breakdown of ethnicity and gender of a school's student body, based on data reported to the government.

Ethnicity/Race

Total Minority Enrollment (% of total) 98%
    American Indian/Alaskan Native Enrollment (% of total) 0.4%
    Asian Enrollment (% of total) 1%
    Black Enrollment (% of total) 32%
    Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander (% of total) 0.4%
    Hispanic Enrollment (% of total) 63%
    White Enrollment (% of total) 2%
    Two or More Races Enrollment (% of total) 0.4%

Male (% of total) 50%
    Female (% of total) 50%

I had to look around, because on the first two sites, the info was missing from this school. I wonder why.

That sure looks diverse to me. This must be the "diversity" idea that they use to shove down our throats when I worked at BofA. Where are the white kids? That 2% number sure seems low.

On youtube, I found their 2012 graduation ceremony posted. I suffered through most of the part where they were handing out diplomas. I stopped before it was done. Here is the breakdown of what I saw

Hispanic - 75
    Black - 42
    White - 0
    Indian - 0

These kids get the advantage of going to a highly regarded school, get college credits, college scholarships, and the other advantages that go with it. We all get to pay for it. Yet, I would bet my right arm that my white kids wouldn't be accepted into it because they don't "qualify".

Shit like this is the reason I am so bitter and resentful to the minorities that cry about the disadvantages, yet have access to much more that I did or my kids do.
    Last edited by line-em-up; 05-07-2013, 05:55 AM.

I know a bunch of white kids that graduated from there.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Reaching much? My sister graduated from Townview and I would say it was diverse. Plenty of "color-challenged" kids
      2015 Premium GT (50th Anniversary Package)
      2014 Lincoln MKT

Comment

Originally posted by BigTitan21 View Post
        Reaching much? My sister graduated from Townview and I would say it was diverse. Plenty of "color-challenged" kids
        you must be new here, that's all he posts. it's pretty hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          I know a bunch of white kids that graduated from there.
          I know someone that won the lottery too. That doesn't mean everyone does.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTitan21 View Post
            I'm pointing out the fact that they claim to be diverse when, in fact, they aren't. The numbers speak for themselves. They preach one thing and then forget to practice it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
              you must be new here, that's all he posts. it's pretty hilarious
              I talk about other things too, but thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

Do you disagree with my point that the school isn't as diverse as they claim?

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                I know someone that won the lottery too. That doesn't mean everyone does.
                So everyone has to go to Townview now, for it to be fair?
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                  I talk about other things too, but thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

Do you disagree with my point that the school isn't as diverse as they claim?
                  Do you by chance have any applicant data as well? It's hard to admit white kids to a school that don't apply for it. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying there's not enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Comment

Not trying to be argumentative, but the demographics I found for DISD (2007) show only 5% white students...total.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      Not trying to be argumentative, but the demographics I found for DISD (2007) show only 5% white students...total.
                      And there you have it. It almost seems as if you'd have to gather every white kid in the district just to attain the 30% number that you're touting, line-em-up

Comment

I know in '04 Desoto high school was about 2% white. Boy did I fit in great.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                          I know in '04 Desoto high school was about 2% white. Boy did I fit in great.
                          My oldest got out in '03 and it wasn't near that bad. Happened almost overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                            And there you have it. It almost seems as if you'd have to gather every white kid in the district just to attain the 30% number that you're touting, line-em-up
                            I understand that the population numbers are out of whack. That is understandable. What I have issues with is the fact that they claim to be diverse and print those numbers when they know they are not correct.

Comment

GEEZ! I didn't realize the demographic had change so drastically in the last 5-10 years. Here are numbers from 2012 for the entire Dallas ISD.

Students
                              Ethnic and Racial Composition
                              Elementary Schools (grades PK-5)
                              Hispanic
                              68.8%
                              Middle Schools (grades 6-8)
                              African American
                              24.5%
                              High Schools
                              White
                              4.6%
                              Total (as of Jan. 20, 2012)