preaching to non believers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• preaching to non believers.....

"how much do you have to hate someone to believe that everlasting life is possible and to not tell them that"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhG-tkQ_Q2w[/ame]

this was brought up in service at my church this morning and given the timing of our loss, i felt it to be more than relevant.
    I also feel this message coming from Penn a very well know atheist, maybe be more accepted and certainly said in a better way than i ever could.

would just like to get some thoughts from the folks here.

god bless..
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

I agree with what he said except for there being no god.

Comment

I agree to an extent, as in the manner in which he described his interaction. I have no problem with that. Hell, Danny will question me about my beliefs and talk about what he thinks and it doesn't bother me at all. I think it is cool that we are so far apart in one regard yet able to be friends anyway.

Comment

I'm more open to proselytization from people I don't know than people I do. People who do not know me don't know my stance on the issue, so I have no expectation for them to not proselytize. Now, there is a difference between proselytizing and discussing religion.

Comment

I tend to just thank them for the effort, and explain my position, after which we talk about other things, if we keep talking.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

A few of you really know me well. You also know it breaks my heart to know some of the people I really care about deny God and his gift because there is no alternative. I wouldn't wish the damnation that is coming on anyone. I'm going to witness many I care about enter judgement with no defense.

Forgive me if it upsets me and it shows from time to time. I should look at the Final Judgement as an exciting victory, as I have chosen for Jesus to stand up for me (which is one of the few right decisions I've ever made). Instead, I look at it in a negative. I'm not looking forward to seeing what is in store for those who reject Jesus.

What is really messed up... I sometimes hope that I'm wrong. I hope that either nothing happens or that God will just do a big "psyke!" At the end and take us all anyway.

I don't see either happening, though. Sucks

Comment

Interesting video. This is something I struggle with often. I feel like it is my responsibility to share, but I don't want to come across as pushy, or preachy.

IMO, You have to start from a perspective of love. It seems clear that the guy in the story did, just like it is clear that Westboro does not. This is the part I try to focus on right now. If my heart is right when talking about God online, or with friends, I will more often represent the true message I am trying to convey. If I am trying to correct someone it will come across a preachy, and likely they will shut down.

Also I feel like you have to have a certain amount of "relational currency". This varies based on what you are trying to achieve, but I think going door to door witnessing or holding up a John 3:16 sign is ineffective at making a real life change. I think to have a large impact on people I have to get to know them first.

I probably fall into the category of not being as bold as I should sometimes, but I think that is something God is working on in me. I think getting my heart right first is more important right now. Once I have the right heart/attitude, I will be better equipped to appropriately challenge people in a way that will be more likely to have positive results.
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

questions like these are the reason why im going to school where i am. its a pita bit a blessing in the same way. preaching to non believers is the whole point of the gospel. i barely talk and have little(to my misfortune) contact with the saved at my church. i have my reasons for this but the main is prolly 1. i cant hang with some of the hardcore christians i know and 2. i identify with the lost sheep or even lost and hurting christians more than i do anyone else have more success with them than anyone else for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
                  questions like these are the reason why im going to school where i am. its a pita bit a blessing in the same way. preaching to non believers is the whole point of the gospel. i barely talk and have little(to my misfortune) contact with the saved at my church. i have my reasons for this but the main is prolly 1. i cant hang with some of the hardcore christians i know and 2. i identify with the lost sheep or even lost and hurting christians more than i do anyone else have more success with them than anyone else for the most part.
                  I pray to fucking christ you don't ever proselytize. I think the only worse person to do it would be the pedophile priests...

Comment

stop praying, you are already to late.

Comment

In this state, I think the members of the mega-churches are in the most need of prayer.

Comment

I still think it's funny that people in modern times believe that the god that they worship is the one true god and that the countless number of gods believed in before are made up even though there is no more proof of modern day gods than ancient ones. Seriously blows my mind. Hell, with christianity people can't even agree upon what is acceptable and what isn't from the same god.
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          In this state, I think the members of the mega-churches are in the most need of prayer.
                          If the idiots that give Joel Osteen money don't notice the globe behind him onstage, instead of, at the very least, a cross, I don't know if there's much hope for them. He makes what he worships very apparent. He's the white TD Jakes.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            If the idiots that give Joel Osteen money don't notice the globe behind him onstage, instead of, at the very least, a cross, I don't know if there's much hope for them. He makes what he worships very apparent. He's the white TD Jakes.
                            I wish that dude would disappear. Srsly. What a fucking scam artist.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              Interesting. I always stared at that thing but I never knew why. Now I think I understand why it always caught my eye. (Although it was always pretty clear to me that he wasn't preaching much bible truth).

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              I wish that dude would disappear. Srsly. What a fucking scam artist.
                              You know guys like him frustrate me, and as a Christian I don't know how to handle it. An old friend married a guy and they started a "church" along the same lines as Lakewood.

Part of me feels like they are flat out lying to people, making God out to be a doctor/ATM, getting rich off of it, and within a group of people that should be publicly challenged so that the true message of Christ's death is not weakened by what often amounts to heretical teachings.

The other part of me looks at him as somebody who may be simply deceived. (Admittedly - I look at my friend and her husband like this more than Joel Osteen). I want so badly to help them come to a correct understanding of the gospel, but they tend to be so very stuck in what they believe.

Bottom line though, is that Joel Osteen probably does need to stop preaching. He is a good encourager, teacher, and motivational speaker, but IMO He is not a bible teacher, and is leading a lot of people in the wrong direction.
                              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X