Obama sending troops to Niger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama sending troops to Niger

Didn't this guy win a peace prize and aren't 1/2 of the sequester cuts coming from defense? How does he figure this works?

President Obama told Congress on Friday he had dispatched 40 more American troops to Niger this week, bringing the total U.S. military presence in the west African country to 100.

The troops have been deployed to support the intervention in neighboring Mali, where French troops have been helping local forces rout Islamist militants from the country's north since last month.

The Obama administration is also planning to build a base in Niger for unarmed Predator drones to conduct surveillance on militants in the region, The New York Times reported last month.

On Wednesday, “the last elements of a deployment of approximately 40 additional U.S. military personnel entered Niger with the consent of the Government of Niger,” Obama wrote to the House and Senate leaders.

“This deployment will provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region. The total number of U.S. military personnel deployed to Niger is approximately 100. The recently deployed forces have deployed with weapons for the purpose of providing their own force protection and security.”

Here's the full letter:

TEXT OF A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT TO THE SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES AND THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE OF THE SENATE

February 22, 2013

Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President

On February 20, 2013, the last elements of a deployment of approximately 40 additional U.S. military personnel entered Niger with the consent of the Government of Niger. This deployment will provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region. The total number of U.S. military personnel deployed to Niger is approximately 100. The recently deployed forces have deployed with weapons for the purpose of providing their own force protection and security.

I directed this deployment of U.S. forces in furtherance of U.S. national security interests, and pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive.

I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution (Public Law 93-148). I appreciate the support of the Congress in this action.

Sincerely,

BARACK OBAMA
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

So, troops in Niger and he's "informing Congress?" He doesn't inform Congress, he is to ask for permission

Comment

They forgot a "g"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          So, troops in Niger and he's "informing Congress?" He doesn't inform Congress, he is to ask for permission
          Good to know you are also ignorant of high school level civics.

He's not declaring war you moron.

"The War Powers Resolution requires the President to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war. The resolution was passed by two-thirds of Congress, overriding a presidential veto."

Pretty soon he'll have an authorization from congress as a peacekeeping mission.

Comment

He's sending troops into a country that we have no legal presence in and they're armed. What do you call the stationing of troops in a foreign country there Binky? He doesn't become "Commander in Chief" until a declaration of war is passed which I don't recall him asking for a declaration of war to send troops in.

You do realize the War Powers act is unconstitutional right? I mean, strictly reading the document

Comment

Lmfao! Omfg.

You realize i have zero respect for you and have no intention of even attempting to go back and forth with you...right? You are so far out of left field with your conspiracy bullshit and ramblings it doesn't even approach a normal conversation. You don't even have a basic understanding of what you are complaining about so you are already way out in la la land.

You are a fucking idiot and are only worth pointing at and laughing about like a clown because of the idiocy that you post.
              Last edited by Binky; 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                Lmfao! Omfg.
                I see congress' power to declare war, not the president's. Perhaps you can show me in the document the wording where the president, any president, may send troops anywhere he pleases without there being an immediate threat to US forces or interests.

Article 1, Section 8: Powers of Congress

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Article 2, Section 2: Powers of the President

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Not seeing Presidential authority here

Comment

Lmfao! Omfg.

You realize i have zero respect for you and have no intention of even attempting to go back and forth with you...right? You are so far out of left field with your conspiracy bullshit and ramblings it doesn't even approach a normal conversation. You don't even have a basic understanding of what you are complaining about so you are already way out in la la land.

You are a fucking idiot and are only worth pointing at and laughing about like a clown because of the idiocy that you post.
                  I really don't care for your respect and you are going back and forth with me. I shall call you Ping on this reply and Pong on the next. It's not conspiracy, it's the constitution. I asked for citation on how I'm wrong, you cannot provide it. I have more than a basic understanding of what I am speaking on as, I can read English and have the document (that I am posting excerpts of) to back me up. You? You have "OMG! LAMO."

Not very intellectual are you?

Comment

Thanks for making my case. Lol!

Comment

Well Pong, I told you you were going to be replying back and you offer nothing to indicate I am wrong. Thank you.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Chris, are you a fanboy of Obama's?

Comment

They are there to keep the peace.
                              Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Working...