Geico drops customer because of job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geico drops customer because of job

GEICO cancels insurance because policyholder works in the 'weapons industry'

second amendment
    January 23, 2013
    By: Angel Clark
    Subscribe

GEICO, or Government Employees Insurance Company, has been providing automobile insurance, according to their website, since 1936. Their advertising has been so successful that the gecko is now synonymous with GEICO insurance. Not all is perfect on the GEICO front; however, as word circulated the Internet that GEICO had cancelled someone’s insurance policy because the policyholder worked in the “weapons industry”. The policyholder uploaded the “notice of cancellation of insurance” on Facebook on Tuesday with the personal information covered.

“The reason for cancellation is your vehicle … does not meet our underwriting guidelines because it is used in conjunction with a company that deals in the weapons industry” the letter plainly reads. The policyholder stated on the Facebook page for Gunadapters.com that they make parts used in the firearm industry. “Is this USA or Russia??? GEICO Insurance just canceled my Truck insurance because I make parts that are used in the Firearm industry...” the policyholder stated online.

The image, having received thousands of shares in hours, caused an uproar online. People began tweeting and posting on GEICO’s Facebook page almost instantly. Many threatened to change insurance carriers. Many people have been frustrated by the recent attempts of President Obama to increase regulations in the firearm industry, as well as his desire to ban “assault weapons” and “high capacity magazines”. Those who are upset by GEICO’s cancellation of being urged to contact GEICO.

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.
    Last edited by Forever_frost; 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Sounds like it got cancelled because he was trying to insure a business vehicle on a personal policy, no?
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Looks like that too me. Just a thought, how many claims has he had? Any DWI's? All

are valid reasons to be canxed. Just one persons rant.

GEICO insures a lot of expats. I find it hard to believe that this is the only reason.

Comment

I got bored and emailed them asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          I got bored and emailed them asking.
          Wouldn't that have been the responsible thing to do first instead of post a story that was written by sensational media.

Comment

Responsible? Maybe. I'm not a journalist. Take it up with my editor

Comment

excess liability? Greater chance of break in, hazardous materials, etc.

Comment

If they were worried about liability, why didn't they write that?

Comment

If they were worried about liability, why didn't they write that?
                  you have a partial quote in the article. Maybe it does.

Comment

There's a picture in the article with the whole letter

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      Sounds like it got cancelled because he was trying to insure a business vehicle on a personal policy, no?
                      It was a commercial policy. Picture of the letter.

Stevo
                      Originally posted by SSMAN
                      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Fuuuuccckkk Geico ! I switched from them last year to another company and literally cut my costs in half and got increased coverage. I had been with them since 1995 too, told me I was on their "preferred A customer list BS", yea because they had been horse fucking me for years and years.

Also, never mention to them that you take your car to the track occasionally or they will cancel your shit. But you can call them up 3 months later and add the exact same car back on your policy, no problem. Idiots!!
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                        11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I go through Farm Bureau. Quite a bit cheaper than anyone else

Comment

I go through Farm Bureau. Quite a bit cheaper than anyone else
                            thats who I switched to.
                            Vortex rear stand $75
                            8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                            My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                            11 4 door
                            13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Snopes isn't terribly reliable, but there may be more to this.

GEICO canceled an automobile insurance policy because the policyholder works in the weapons industry?

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
                              I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Working...
                              X