X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reid to allow gun control vote

Thomas Ferraro Reuters

4:48 p.m. CST, January 22, 2013

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, signaled on Tuesday that despite earlier indications to the contrary, he may allow a vote on a possible ban on assault weapons.

Reid, a longtime gun-rights advocate from Nevada, recently had indicated he would not permit a vote because the Republican-led House of Representatives likely won't go along with such a prohibition.

Powerful gun-rights groups oppose a ban on assault weapons and could seek to unseat any lawmaker who backs it, as they have tried to do in the past.

But after a weekly meeting on Tuesday with fellow Senate Democrats, Reid told reporters that he expects "to have a free amendment process" on gun legislation.

That process could result in other Democrats proposing a possible resurrection of a 10-year ban on semi-automatic assault weapons that expired in 2004.

President Barack Obama proposed a package of measures last week to combat gun violence that includes a ban on assault weapons, limits on high-capacity ammunition clips, expanded mental health treatments and improved school security.

Reid said he expects the Senate Judiciary Committee, which opens hearings next week on proposals by Obama and others, to produce a bill. It is unclear if the measure will include a ban on assault weapons.

"It may not be everything everyone wants. But I hope it has stuff that is really important," Reid told reporters.

A series of shootings in the last two months, including one at an elementary school in Newton, Connecticut, in which 20 children and six educators were slain, has triggered a renewed national debate on gun control.

(Reporting By Thomas Ferraro; editing by Fred Barbash and Philip Barbara)

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Reid is doing everything he can to avoid dealing with presenting a budget.

Comment

Fuck that guy. He seems really fragile....

Comment

Why can't we have a house with a backbone that says, "we will discuss gun control when you agree to discuss eliminating welfare."
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Seems it hits the Senate Thursday. Time to make phone calls and emails
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Here we go...

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              Seems it hits the Senate tomorrow
              Hopefully some senators get hit by a taxi.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Are we approaching five years now without a budget? Push the debt ceiling up more and more. But voting against the Constitution is the most important thing at this time. Makes sense.
                2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                  Why can't we have a house with a backbone that says, "we will discuss gun control when you agree to discuss eliminating welfare."
                  I owe you a drink next time I see you.

Comment

But Reid has benefited from years and years of NRA support. He's supposed to be on our side.
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I think that this is pretty good indication that it doesn't have anywhere near the votes it needs to pass.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        I think that this is pretty good indication that it doesn't have anywhere near the votes it needs to pass.
                        exactly. It will be used as ammunition by the democrats that the evil GOP is killing school children and the GOP will stroked their dicks all day about upholding the right to bear arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          I like your optimism.

However, I don't really want to take the chance like some mass defection or parlor tricks with Obamacare.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I pray they are stupid enough to bring it to a vote. Anyone that votes in favor of gun control better start brushing up their resume. Just wait till the elections. The Tea Party is going to have a hay day with this. The democrats are going to start a grass roots movement they can only have wet dreams about. You will see people from all walks of life and from all parties vote for the Tea Party. It's probably going to be the best thing that has happen to this country in the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              I like your optimism.

However, I don't really want to take the chance like some mass defection or parlor tricks with Obamacare.
                              We will see I guess. This isn't a hump issue though, this is something that 80% of people are not in favor of. There are a lot of red state dems that are up for re-election. Last count I heard was six of them. They'll be cut off at the knees if any measure passes that limits guns.
                              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X