19 executive orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 executive orders

The White House has identified 19 executive actions for President Barack Obama to move unilaterally on gun control, Vice President Joe Biden told a group of House Democrats on Monday, the administration’s first definitive statements about its response to last month’s mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Later this week, Obama will formally announce his proposals to reduce gun violence, which are expected to include renewal of the assault weapons ban, universal background checks and prohibition of high-capacity magazine clips. But Biden, who has been leading Obama’s task force on the response, spent two hours briefing a small group of sympathetic House Democrats on the road ahead in the latest White House outreach to invested groups.
    Continue Reading
    Text Size

-
    +
    reset

Latest on POLITICO

The GOP's time to choose
    Report: Hoffa buried near Detroit
    Gallup: Deficit fears jump
    With gun lobby, silence kills
    Emanuel to W.H.: Don't hang D's on guns
    Poll: Gun background checks wanted

(Also on POLITICO: Rep. Stockman threatens Obama impeachment over guns)

The focus on executive orders is the result of the White House and other Democrats acknowledging the political difficulty of enacting any new gun legislation, a topic Biden did not address in Monday’s meeting.

The executive actions could include giving the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention authority to conduct national research on guns, more aggressive enforcement of existing gun laws and pushing for wider sharing of existing gun databases among federal and state agencies, members of Congress in the meeting said.

(Also on POLITICO: NRA releases shooting game for ages 4+)

“It was all focusing on enforcing existing law, administering things like improving the background database, things like that that do not involve a change in the law but enforcing and making sure that the present law is administered as well as possible,” said Rep. Bobby Scott (D-Va.).

The White House declined to comment on the details of what Obama will propose.

(Also on POLITICO: Poll: Gun background checks wanted)

But Biden did indicate that the remains of the Obama campaign apparatus may be activated in the effort.

“He said that this has been a real focus on the policy and that the politics of this issue, that a strategy on the politics of the issue hasn’t been undertaken yet,” Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) told POLITICO. “He did remind us that the campaign infrastructure is still accessible.”

Biden did not address two of the more significant issues in the gun debate: the appointment of a permanent director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the role violent images in the entertainment industry play in the nation’s gun violence.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2I0O5Z9Fp
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Hmmm...

If true, I'm actually surprised. The only potential issue would be the CDC researching gun violence? Since when is that a disease? That's like the using the EPA to push the green-agenda.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Wow...I actually like what I see and will give This administration huge props if this works out. This is good stuff.

Comment

Maybe I'm just blind, but where are they listed? I didn't see them on the article on the site.

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Not listed yet; I guess we have to wait.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            Not listed yet; I guess we have to wait.
            Hmm, I was curious as to what ^^^ saw that he liked.

Stevo
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
              Hmm, I was curious as to what ^^^ saw that he liked.

Stevo
              Probably this:
              The executive actions could include giving the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention authority to conduct national research on guns, more aggressive enforcement of existing gun laws and pushing for wider sharing of existing gun databases among federal and state agencies, members of Congress in the meeting said.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Wow...I actually like what I see and will give This administration huge props if this works out. This is good stuff.
                There is nothing to see yet....

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  There is nothing to see yet....
                  Let me have my hope!!!

Comment

Let me have my hope!!!
                    You don't need it.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Enforce existing laws? What a novel idea. Gee, I wonder who could have ever thought of that one?

But in fairness, these laws haven't been properly enforced in a while. That blame falls on all past administrations.

Comment

Let me have my hope!!!
                        There is no hope on the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          There is no hope on the dark side.
                          That's so racist

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                            You don't need it.
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                              Probably this:

I saw that, and thought it made as much sense as using the Department of Agriculture to do a study on moon rocks.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X