Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would have thought?

Inmates using newspaper's gun owner map to threaten guards, sheriff says

Law enforcement officials from a New York region where a local paper published a map identifying gun owners say prisoners are using the information to intimidate guards.

Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco, who spoke at a news conference flanked by other county officials, said the Journal News' decision to post an online map of names and addresses of handgun owners Dec. 23 has put law enforcement officers in danger.

"They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said, according to Newsday.

Robert Riley, an officer with the White Plains Police Department and president of its Patrolman’s Benevolent Association, agreed.

"You have guys who work in New York City who live up here. Now their names and addresses are out there, too," he said adding that there are 8,000 active and retired NYPD officers currently living in Rockland County.

Local lawmakers also say that they intend to introduce legislation that prevents information about legal gun owners from being released to the public.

The newspaper published the online map last month alongside an article titled, "The gun owner next door: What you don't know about the weapons in your neighborhood." The map included the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

While the paper ostensibly sought to make a point about gun proliferation in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., the effort may have backfired. A blogger reacted with a map showing where key editorial staffers live, and some outraged groups have called for a boycott of parent company Gannett’s national advertisers. Ironically, the newspaper has now stationed armed guards outside at least one of its offices.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I would beat somebodies ass.

Comment

Notice there wasn't really a big issue other than the citizens pissed until the cops found their names on the list.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Now if someone would just publish the names and address of every non-military federal employee we could get started down the right path in this country.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
          Now if someone would just publish the names and address of every non-military federal employee we could get started down the right path in this country.
          Before starting such a grandiose undertaking, why don't you publish the names and addresses of every member of this site cross-referenced to SN, starting with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
            Before starting such a grandiose undertaking, why don't you publish the names and addresses of every member of this site cross-referenced to SN, starting with yours.
            Sure; albeit I can only speak for myself. Bill Copeland, 311 E Buckingham Rd, Garland TX 75040.

Just remember to smile for the flashes.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm sorry you live in garland. : (

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger View Post
                I'm sorry you live in garland. : (

I don't. That is just my "Ghost address and name"; Google it to see.

Comment

do you shovel shit for the DOJ or something?
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                    Sure; albeit I can only speak for myself. Bill Copeland, 311 E Buckingham Rd, Garland TX 75040.

Just remember to smile for the flashes.
                    Now post up a current utility bill to prove it, and continue on.

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    do you shovel shit for the DOJ or something?
                    Do you have a record on file with the BOP or something?

Comment

I'm in the oil field... only BOP I know of is a blow out preventer
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Inmates die in prison all the time. Very common actually.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I haven't had a utility bill with my name on it ever in my life.

Comment

Working...
                          X