Service members sue Japan over radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service members sue Japan over radiation

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.

US Sailors Sue Japan Utility in Radiation Exposure

Dec 28, 2012

Stars and Stripes | by Matthew M. Burke
    Add a Comment

SASEBO NAVAL BASE, Japan -- Eight sailors from the USS Ronald Reagan are suing Japan’s nationalized Tokyo Electric Power Co., claiming it lied about dangers from a radiation leak when they helped out after last year’s nuclear plant disaster and that they will almost certainly die prematurely as a result.

Their complaint, filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, seeks a jury trial and damages of $40 million each for being “rendered infirm” and their bodies being “poisoned” by radiation. It was filed on behalf of Lindsay Cooper, James Sutton, Kim Gieseking, Charles Yarris, Robert Miller, Christopher Bittner, Eric Membrila and Judy Goodwin.

Within days of the March 11, 2011, earthquake, tsunami and subsequent radiation leak from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, the USS Ronald Reagan was aiding in the search for survivors and bodies from just off Japan’s devastated east coast.

Six of the eight sailors worked on the flight deck during the operation and two worked in the air contamination department. Gieseking is also suing on behalf of her daughter, Autumn, who was born shortly after the deployment.

The sailors allege a host of medical conditions, from headaches and difficulty concentrating to rectal bleeding and thyroid problems, as a result of the exposure and say they will have to undergo more medical tests and expensive treatments in the future, their lawyer Paul Garner said Thursday. The sailors also want TEPCO, which has an office in Washington, D.C., to establish a $100 million fund to pay for any of their future medical expenses.

While the utility has settled with the families of Japanese citizens who died during evacuations from the affected region, and the Japanese government has guaranteed payments, this appears to be the first lawsuit involving American servicemembers, Garner said. The suit’s allegations include negligence and being a public nuisance.

“TEPCO and the government of Japan conspired and acted in concert, among other things, to create an illusory impression that the extent of the radiation that had leaked from the site of the FNPP was at levels that would not pose a threat to the plaintiffs, in order to promote its interests and those of the government of Japan, knowing that the information it disseminated was defective, incomplete and untrue, while omitting to disclose the extraordinary risks posed to the plaintiffs who were carrying out their assigned duties aboard the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan,” according to the complaint.

It said data available to TEPCO indicated that radiation levels already had surpassed what “those living the same distance from Chernobyl experienced who subsequently developed cancer.”

Garner said internal TEPCO memos, experts, news articles and other documents substantiate their case that the utility lied, covered up the scope of the problem and distributed skewed data.

There were about 70,000 U.S. servicemembers, family members and civilians on or near the mainland during the 60 days following the disaster. The Defense Department has acknowledged that some servicemembers experienced elevated levels of radiation but says they weren’t high enough to make people sick.

Garner said he was originally approached by Cooper, who was reluctant to follow through with a suit. He then talked to others from the Reagan and found many suffered problems, including one sailor who already has cancer. Garner has linked up with an environmental toxicologist for a study to see how widespread the issues are.

“We just want the facts,” Garner said. “Their approach since the beginning has been to deny ... the truth will come out.”

Spokespersons for U.S. Forces Japan, Commander Naval Forces Japan, and TEPCO had not heard about the lawsuit, filed on Dec. 21, when contacted Thursday. Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs declined to comment.

About half of the sailors involved in the suit are active duty, while the others have separated, Garner said. He said they are not just looking for money.

“No amount of money would compensate me if I’m 23 years old and I’m bleeding from my [behind] or have thyroid problems,” he said. He added it was about getting justice for people who rushed to aid Japan in its time of need.

The USS Ronald Reagan, which is home-ported in San Diego, the guided-missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville and destroyer USS Preble began supporting search-and-rescue efforts along the destroyed coastline on March 13. The Reagan’s approximate 5,500 sailors remained in the area until the beginning of April.

-- Stars and Stripes re
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Good. Fuck Japan. They spent far too long fucking up most of Asia, committed an unknown amount of war crimes and crimes against humanity, and have yet to begin even thinking about paying for it. I say sue the shit out of them.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      Good. Fuck Japan. They spent far too long fucking up most of Asia, committed an unknown amount of war crimes and crimes against humanity, and have yet to begin even thinking about paying for it. I say sue the shit out of them.
      This is what uneducated retards actually believe.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

You must be new here. Welcome to earth.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          This is what uneducated retards actually believe.
          you had better recheck your facts. He is actually right on the money. Rape of Nanking is all you need to know about the mindset of a jap, circa 1940's.
          May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
          Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Jester View Post
            you had better recheck your facts. He is actually right on the money. Rape of Nanking is all you need to know about the mindset of a jap, circa 1940's.

Then what do we deserve for pre 1865 America?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Then what do we deserve for pre 1865 America?
              Eric we cant even begin to compare to what they did during that time. not even close to the horrors that they put out there for a 6 week period.
              May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
              Semper Fi

Comment

Eric we cant even begin to compare to what they did during that time. not even close to the horrors that they put out there for a 6 week period.

Spike Lee would disagree with you.

Comment

I assure you I am more than familiar with Japanese actions during World War II. In a way, America is to blame for Japans rise to power. Well, not in a way, we are pretty much directly responsible.

Comment

I assure you I am more than familiar with Japanese actions during World War II. In a way, America is to blame for Japans rise to power. Well, not in a way, we are pretty much directly responsible.
                    That's irrelevant, their inability to secure alternative supply lines during an illegal seizure of foreign lands was belligerent beyond imagination. And furthermore, the attack of pearl harbor was a calculated and intentional retaliation for our refusal to supply them. They got what they deserved. However this was 70 years ago, today it's a completely different story. Being a soldier/sailor is a dangerous occupation. I don't see how the US military isn't even more responsible if this occurred on their orders.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      That's irrelevant, their inability to secure alternative supply lines during an illegal seizure of foreign lands was belligerent beyond imagination. And furthermore, the attack of pearl harbor was a calculated and intentional retaliation for our refusal to supply them. They got what they deserved. However this was 70 years ago, today it's a completely different story. Being a soldier/sailor is a dangerous occupation. I don't see how the US military isn't even more responsible if this occurred on their orders.
                      Of course what you have said is true, but my comment was directed at LANTIRN's ignorance.

Good. Fuck Japan. They spent far too long fucking up most of Asia
                      No, the United States and the empires of the old world fucked up most of Asia. The Empires of Germany, Britain, and France carved out portions of China and the rest of Asia, while it was the United States who opened up Japan.
                      Japan was completely isolationist and xenophobic until Commodore Perry sailed to Japan and forced its opening with warships. This sparked Japans modernization and power grab. They were introduced to the ways of imperialism by us and the Europeans

...committed an unknown amount of war crimes and crimes against humanity, and have yet to begin even thinking about paying for it. I say sue the shit out of them.
                      Are you fucking kidding me?

Times two.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        I don't see how the US military isn't even more responsible if this occurred on their orders.
                        That was my initial thought, they were there on orders so wouldnt they sue their superiors?

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                          That was my initial thought, they were there on orders so wouldnt they sue their superiors?
                          You can't sue the government yourself, but your family can sue on your behalf, I believe. I have a feeling they were on leave or something during the time and ended up getting exposed, that sounds most logical.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                            Cant sue the U.S. military for orders that were hazardous, but they can get the pleasure of experienceing the wonderful VA Hospital if they so choose at no cost to them(if they make under 25K ish a year).

Comment

No, the United States and the empires of the old world fucked up most of Asia. The Empires of Germany, Britain, and France carved out portions of China and the rest of Asia, while it was the United States who opened up Japan.
                              Japan was completely isolationist and xenophobic until Commodore Perry sailed to Japan and forced its opening with warships. This sparked Japans modernization and power grab. They were introduced to the ways of imperialism by us and the Europeans.
                              I don't see how we're primarily responsible. We helped build an ally in Japan and helped their industrialization. We didn't help or assist them in invading China or the pacific islands, we were highly opposed to it. That was solely their agenda. That's similar to saying we are responsible for Nazi occupation since we traded with Germany during the interwar period.

Comment

Working...
                              X