Unions blocking workers in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post
    There is something else out there... cant think of it right now...but i do remember that its far older than any union... and it will be around long after unions are gone......man what was that.....

oh yeah its COLLEGE

Ever heard of it
    College isn't for everybody. It's a waste of time/money for a lot of people. Huge waste for somebody interested in skilled trades.

Lots of college grads make my coffee and serve my meals while my uneducated, blue collar ass makes real money.

With that said, I believe unions have an overall negative impact on the US economy.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
      If you are on a Texas company's payroll, yes. Your paycheck originates from Texas and is subject to Texas taxation. The flip side is if you are hired by FEMA or another govt body for temp work... You'd probably be paid as a 1099 when sent as a contractor.

But, wouldn't the actual company that the workers work for have been hired by FEMA? So at that point, the actual worker would still be on native states taxes.

Question posed as they aren't going to be focusing efforts on hiring individually, they will want work forces to show up...
      www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
        College isn't for everybody. It's a waste of time/money for a lot of people. Huge waste for somebody interested in skilled trades.

Lots of college grads make my coffee and serve my meals while my uneducated, blue collar ass makes real money.

With that said, I believe unions have an overall negative impact on the US economy.
        Agreed completely and I'm in the same situation. I do have a AAS (Community College of the Air Force), but it barely worth the paper it's printed on and not a requirement for my career. My technical training and experience are what's valuable.

I was raised to believe there were two paths in life: college or the McDs drive-thru window. The fact that I pull in six figures and have never paid a dime in student loans or college seems to go against that belief. Considering how easy it is to "go" to college these days, I personally believe we have an over abundance of non-specific college grads who want to manage and sit behind a desk. Simple supply and demand is why most skilled trades bring in more $$$ than your average degreed manager.

Just like anything else, the Unions you ser in the media are the sensationalized stories that sell papers. Not all Unions can be grouped together. I work in a commercial construction environment in all 50 states. I've worked with Union trades, non-union trades, and transient Hispanic immigrant "trades". Quality definitely goes to the Union. They may be slow, expensive, and sometimes difficult to deal with but they all speak English and perform quality work. One of the worst areas I've worked in is Texas - no one speaks English and the quality of the work is horrific. I've lost count of how many Texas "Electricians" can't understand a simple 24V circuit. Ironic considering that Texas is typically a very anti-union state
        - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
        1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
          But, wouldn't the actual company that the workers work for have been hired by FEMA? So at that point, the actual worker would still be on native states taxes.

Question posed as they aren't going to be focusing efforts on hiring individually, they will want work forces to show up...
          Correct, FEMA would issue contracts or have otrher agencies issue contracts on their behalf to outside contractors. Minimum pay rates for the contractors employees would be stipulated in the contracts, and taxation of their wages would be the responsibility of the individual contractors at rates applicable in their home states.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
            Correct, FEMA would issue contracts or have otrher agencies issue contracts on their behalf to outside contractors. Minimum pay rates for the contractors employees would be stipulated in the contracts, and taxation of their wages would be the responsibility of the individual contractors at rates applicable in their home states.
            All in accrodance with the FAR.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post

Originally posted by The King View Post
              I should have clarified:

FEMA (I'll use FEMA) may sub out to XXX Company that in turn hires employees on a 1099 basis to help XXX Company with it's workload. In that case, a solo/journeyman could work for FEMA indirectly.
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                I should have clarified:

FEMA (I'll use FEMA) may sub out to XXX Company that in turn hires employees on a 1099 basis to help XXX Company with it's workload. In that case, a solo/journeyman could work for FEMA indirectly.
                A crisis situation is no time for X-Rated companies!
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Comment

Almost our entire generation was sold that bill of goods... I was... I bought into it briefly and went to college, but felt like I was wasting money so I dropped out.

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                    Agreed completely and I'm in the same situation. I do have a AAS (Community College of the Air Force), but it barely worth the paper it's printed on and not a requirement for my career. My technical training and experience are what's valuable.

I was raised to believe there were two paths in life: college or the McDs drive-thru window. The fact that I pull in six figures and have never paid a dime in student loans or college seems to go against that belief. Considering how easy it is to "go" to college these days, I personally believe we have an over abundance of non-specific college grads who want to manage and sit behind a desk. Simple supply and demand is why most skilled trades bring in more $$$ than your average degreed manager.

Just like anything else, the Unions you ser in the media are the sensationalized stories that sell papers. Not all Unions can be grouped together. I work in a commercial construction environment in all 50 states. I've worked with Union trades, non-union trades, and transient Hispanic immigrant "trades". Quality definitely goes to the Union. They may be slow, expensive, and sometimes difficult to deal with but they all speak English and perform quality work. One of the worst areas I've worked in is Texas - no one speaks English and the quality of the work is horrific. I've lost count of how many Texas "Electricians" can't understand a simple 24V circuit. Ironic considering that Texas is typically a very anti-union state
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

• Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                      A crisis situation is no time for X-Rated companies!
                      There is always time for XXX until they call the unions then it just goes to shit
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                        Someone get a rope!!!! I always laugh when someone spouts off the stereotypical "union workers are lazy." I just chuckle knowing that I probably work twice as many hours as they do. I've sat in on plenty of hiring sessions for the railroad and you wouldn't beleive the amount of people that get up and walk out once they are told they will be working 12hr shifts if not more, working every 10hrs, be on call 24/7 working nights, weekends, and holidays. This is after they are told how much they will be getting paid, what the health care and retirement are like. The money doesn't matter. They hear 80hr plus work weeks and they hit the door.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                          Someone get a rope!!!! I always laugh when someone spouts off the stereotypical "union workers are lazy." I just chuckle knowing that I probably work twice as many hours as they do. I've sat in on plenty of hiring sessions for the railroad and you wouldn't beleive the amount of people that get up and walk out once they are told they will be working 12hr shifts if not more, working every 10hrs, be on call 24/7 working nights, weekends, and holidays. This is after they are told how much they will be getting paid, what the health care and retirement are like. The money doesn't matter. They hear 80hr plus work weeks and they hit the door.
                          Just for the record, how many hours you work does not show work ethic or more specifically, "how hard of a worker you are." Anyone can show up to the job to twiddle their thumbs.

I can watch paint dry for a whole week with only taking a nap here and there, that doesn't mean I am the hardest mother fucking worker on the planet.

Another example, I know GM guys who would "work" tons of hours, and 90% of that "ton of hours" was watching TV. Surely, I am not insinuating you watch TV all day long, but your analogy needs a little fine tuning.
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

• Originally posted by naynay View Post
                            $100k student loan.. umm no thanks

hundreds? you dont know how trades work..
                            Youre about 5x to high my bachelors is gona run me 20k

a perfectly manageable number imo ive paid more for cars than that

Sure that aint everbody but you gotta acount for half those dumbasses taht suck at money so.........

Comment

• Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                              Just for the record, how many hours you work does not show work ethic or more specifically, "how hard of a worker you are." Anyone can show up to the job to twiddle their thumbs.

I can watch paint dry for a whole week with only taking a nap here and there, that doesn't mean I am the hardest mother fucking worker on the planet.

Another example, I know GM guys who would "work" tons of hours, and 90% of that "ton of hours" was watching TV. Surely, I am not insinuating you watch TV all day long, but your analogy needs a little fine tuning.
                              I don't try to pretend to know what those GM guys do because I'm not there. All I know is what I do, but every time I drive by a chevy dealership I see hundreds of new cars so they must be doing something. I hired out to move freight and that's exactly what I do. I get the train from point A to point B in the safest and quickest way I'm able to. The quicker I get there the more money I make because I'm able to get rested and right back to work.

Comment

• Did you notice GMs bankruptcy ? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X