Let's see Obama do this:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's see Obama do this:

ALTON, N.H. — Republican Mitt Romney said Tuesday he would likely donate his salary to charity if elected president, a financial freedom he described as a byproduct of a successful business career.

"I never anticipated that I'd be as financially successful as I was, and then my business went far better than I expected it would," Romney told a woman at a Liberty Mutual office in Dover, N.H., when she asked if millionaire candidates could resolve government problems in Washington.

"I wouldn't disqualify somebody by virtue of their financial wealth or their financial poverty," Romney added. "I would instead look at their record, what they've done with their life and whether they can make a difference, whether the things they have learned will enable them to be an effective leader."

A former venture capitalist who headed the 2002 Winter Olympics and served one term as Massachusetts governor from 2003 to 2007, Romney is the wealthiest of all the candidates, Democrats and Republicans. His assets are estimated at $190 million to $250 million.

Later, speaking with reporters, Romney said he would likely accept the presidential salary of $400,000 annually but donate the money. While governor, Romney declined his $135,000 annual salary.

"I haven't really thought ahead that far," Romney said initially. "There are some questions I haven't forecasted, perhaps because that would seem presumptuous of me."

Then, he added: "I presume I would take the salary and then I would donate at least that amount -- or more -- to charity."

Romney is expected to report more precise figures on his assets in the coming weeks when he files a financial disclosure report required of all presidential candidates. He sought an extension from a mid-May filing deadline but provided a broad estimate of his wealth.

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Romney and his fellow Mormons are expected to donate 10 percent of their salaries to remain members in good standing of the church.

Later in the day, Romney visited Prospect Mountain High School in Alton, near Lake Winnipesaukee, where students peppered him with a series of questions about the Iraq War, gay marriage, stem cell research and his ability to work in a bipartisan fashion.

One student asked Romney which of his rivals is the biggest threat to his candidacy.

"Me," he said. "I don't want to mess up in some way and knock myself off the stage."

Moments later, he called Matt Lauer of NBC's "Today" show to the stage and Lauer, compiling a piece for the morning program, followed up on a student question by asking Romney if he would still support leaving U.S. troops in Iraq if the current level of violence extends into the fall.

"I don't want to forecast for anything other than success," Romney said as he stood before an enormous U.S. flag. "I recognize there are bad things that could happen, and we always have the options available to us then that we have today. ... But if there came a time when there's no reasonable probability of a success of that nature, then obviously I'd reconsider our alternatives."

Romney started his day on a sour note, when a restaurant patron declared he would not vote for him because of his faith.

"I'm one person who will not vote for a Mormon," Al Michaud of Dover shouted at Romney when he approached him inside Harvey's Bakery in downtown Dover.

Romney kept smiling as he asked, "Can I shake your hand anyway?"

Michaud replied, "No."

Michaud later told reporters he was not "a right-winger," alluding to some evangelical Christians who have compared Romney's faith to a cult. Instead, Michaud said he was a liberal who planned to vote for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., should she win her party's nomination.
    Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Fuck, Obama would never do that. Hell, he won't even give 100$ to his brother living in a hut in Africa.
    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      While governor, Romney declined his $135,000 annual salary.

Then, he added: "I presume I would take the salary and then I would donate at least that amount -- or more -- to charity."

What a greedy right wing capitalist pig!
      68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
      63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
      i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by 351Coupe View Post
        What a greedy right wing capitalist pig!
        It's not as altruistic an act as he would like us to believe, I'm sure he will be taking the tax write-off. This is the smarter decision financially, as compared to to simply declining the salary, which shows fiscal responsibility that this country needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          It's not as altruistic an act as he would like us to believe, I'm sure he will be taking the tax write-off. This is the smarter decision financially, as compared to to simply declining the salary, which shows fiscal responsibility that this country needs.
          I wont pretend to understand taxes but wouldnt someone thar makes a million dollars and gives away $500,000 pay the same as someone that makes $500,000?
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I'm sure he will be taking the tax write-off.
            Thank you, Captain Obvious. I bet we never would have figured that out...
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Isn't there a cap of writing off donations?

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                Isn't there a cap of writing off donations?
                There is. And Romney doesn't write off his full deductions as the libs were screaming a few weeks ago saying that he purposely paid too much to look good
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Damn, sounds like you can do no right when you earn a little extra cash. Even donating is bitched about...

IMO...If you want success...put in a successful person...
                  2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

His records show that he actually doesn't take all the write offs on his charitable causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      There is. And Romney doesn't write off his full deductions as the libs were screaming a few weeks ago saying that he purposely paid too much to look good
                      No. I dont believe there is a limit however after $x you can inly deduct 25% of those contributions

Comment

Doesn't mean shit to the people. The guy already donated millions. He is rich, white, republican and that is enough for people to hate him.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

You do realize what a small percentage of his tax that would be, right?

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                          Doesn't mean shit to the people. The guy already donated millions. He is rich, white, republican and that is enough for dumbasses to hate him.
                          Fixed!
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I like Romney more every day. Seems more and more like a genuine stand up guy. I don't agree with the Mormon faith, it's pretty cooky. But after dating a Mormon girl in high-school, I learned two things about the guys I met through being around her: 1, they all spited me because she was maybe the best looking Mormon in our school, and her Daddy was fucking loaded. And 2, those guys that didn't like me where really damn dedicated to success. Up and at church by 5am before school every day, worked their asses off at school, extra curricular activities, and such, those boys where more of a man than most men I know now. But they still have a cooky religion.

Comment

But donating it to charity (tax write off aside) is immediately a better use of the money than not taking it; why is that not in flashing neon in your head?

Mitt leads with every step. Obama is leading people off a cliff. You think Mitt will let his wife take a trip to Italy like Michelle did?
                              Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Working...
                              X