FBI Says a Team Has Come and Gone to Benghazi in the Last 24 Hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Says a Team Has Come and Gone to Benghazi in the Last 24 Hours

WASHINGTON (TheBlaze/AP) — The FBI says a team of agents arrived in Benghazi on Wednesday to investigate last month’s deadly attack on the U.S. consulate and has already left the city.

FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright says the FBI agents were there just one day. She would not say where the team is headed.

Law enforcement officials had said that the FBI had been staying away from the Libyan city for security reasons, prompting a weeks-long delay in the investigation.

A Libyan official told AFP a team of about 20 Americans in civilian clothing arrived early Thursday morning and spent about three hours collecting evidence.

The FBI was investigating a terror attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, a State Department computer expert and two former U.S. Navy Seals at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Probably picked up anything important, handled a few quick issues, took video/photos, and got the fuck out of there.

The place has been continually ransacked since the attack. I would really doubt there would be anything of real substance as far as evidence goes. The leftover documents were the likely priority.

This whole debacle has been handled wrong, but I can't really see an issue with an in and out job at this point.

Comment

Hell, CNN was there within hours taking the ambassador's journal, after the terrorists took maps to safe houses and Libyans friendly to the US contact info

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

If they're not going to do a real investigation, why send them? It's been 3 weeks. There is no evidence, those responsible have gone on about their day and the population no longer cares. Obama just couldn't be seen not to do something, Congress is bitching. They spent longer on the plane than investigating

Comment

Just because they aren't at the site of the crime doesn't mean they aren't investigating it still. Detectives don't spend their entire investigation at the scene of the crime. Probably not even a tenth of a percentage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Just because they aren't at the site of the crime doesn't mean they aren't investigating it still. Detectives don't spend their entire investigation at the scene of the crime. Probably not even a tenth of a percentage of it.
              Hard to gather evidence of a murder 3 weeks after the murder took place. After reporters and terrorists have already gone through it. And then to take only 3 hours walking around? They should have just been honest and said "We weren't allowed to investigate for 3 weeks. There's nothing there for us to investigate."

My response as president would have happened within minutes of my notification and there'd have been air strikes, military moving in and everything within a mile of that location killed. THEN I'd have the FBI come in and check things. CNN wouldn't have the journal before the FBI

Comment

Working...
              X