• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.8% unemployment

Like Friggin Magic!!

Jobs report: 114K jobs added, jobless rate 7.8%;
    Update: CNBC confused by “contradictory” numbers;
    Update: Bloomberg explains?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics delivered yet another disappointing jobs report. In September, the economy only added 114,000 jobs, and while the jobless rate dropped to 7.8%, that mainly came from a mid-year adjustment last month on the number of current jobs:
    The unemployment rate decreased to 7.8 percent in September, and total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 114,000, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in health care and in transportation and warehousing but changed little in most other major industries.
    The unemployment rate declined by 0.3 percentage point to 7.8 percent in September. For the first 8 months of the year, the rate held within a narrow range of 8.1 and 8.3 percent. The number of unemployed persons, at 12.1 million, decreased by 456,000 in September.
    Looking at the internals, there were few true bright spots, but at least it wasn’t as bleak as the last couple of months. The U-6 number, which captures unemployment and underemployment as well as the marginally attached, stayed the same as in August at 14.7%. The civilian population participation rate rose a tenth of a point to 63.6%, exactly where it was in the 1982 midterm election, and only missing the 31-year low set last month.
    The number of unemployed dropped 456,000 last month, while only 114,000 jobs got added. That either means that 342,000 people left the US, or they left the work force in one way or another. In the household survey, though, the number of people with jobs rose by 873,000 — a very strange outcome that makes it appear that more than one tweak has been done to previous data. (The +873K is in the seasonally adjusted number, by the way.)
    CNBC calls the numbers “tame,” but also notes the “contradictory” numbers:
    Job growth remained tame in September, with the economy creating just 114,000 net new positions though the unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent.
    The report presented a slew of contradictory data points, with the total employment level soaring despite the low net number.
    The falling jobless rate had been a function as much of the continued shrinking in the labor force as it was an increase in new positions.
    But the government said the total number of jobs employed surged by 873,000, the highest one-month jump in 29 years. The total of unemployed people tumbled by 456,000.
    Something’s odd with this report. Either the household survey (one of the two surveys the BLS uses to compile this report) is way off, or the BLS is underreporting job growth in the overall numbers.
    Update: Bloomberg’s Alex Kowalski has an explanation that covers most of the confusion:
    The household survey showed an 873,000 increase in employment, the biggest since June 1983, excluding the annual Census population adjustments. Some 582,000 Americans took part- time positions because of slack business conditions or those jobs were the only work they could find.
    Jeryl Bier points out another part of the explanation:
    @edmorrissey “Total multiple jobholders” increased 183,000 in one month. (Table A-16, Aug. vs. Sept.)
    — Jeryl Bier (@SpeakWithAuthor) October 5, 2012

So we have people being forced back into the workforce to take part-time jobs, but not good enough jobs to count towards the non-farm payroll growth? The numbers still don’t quite add up to me, but that household data isn’t nearly as good as it looks.
    Update II: That’s confirmed by Chris Cuomo:
    @rickklein that is a bogus #… help spin cycle, but that’s all. U-6 is real read. North of 10%, adjusted for participation rate in ’08.
    — Chris Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) October 5, 2012

U-6 is still at 14.7%, and it hasn’t been below 14% in years.
    Update III: To emphasize Chris’ point, here’s the U-6 number since January 2006:

It’s not coming down much at all.

wait for the revised numbers.. I bet we didnt really hit below 8%

Comment

Zomg the real unemployment rate is like a million percent.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I wonder if the change from 18 months of unemployment benefits to only 6 months had anything to do with skewed numbers?

Anyone that was getting unemployment for more then 6 months but less then the 18 months was dropped and no longer got UE benefits therefore making it look like they got jobs because they no longer got to collect UE bit really haven't found jobs either?????
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Why get a job. Hell sit on unemployment till it runs out & then go get on Foodstamps & Gov Housing & live off the tax payer. It doesnt suprise me unemployment is where its at.
          GOD BLESS TEXAS
          August Landscaping
          214-779-7278
          Seb's high class.
          He'll mow your grass.
          He'll kick your ass.
          And while his kidney stones pass,
          He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

How can the Obama admin even think these are good numbers? The food stamp campaign is working.

-Labor participation rate: little change at 63.6%
            -Part-Time Employement rose by 600,000 jobs. (These individuals are working oart time due to hours getting cut back or not being able to find a full time job
            **-802,000 people GAVE UP LOOKING FOR A JOB, and are no longer counted in the unemployment rate.
            -Overall trend in Employment-population ratio has been flat. (no real jobs created)
            **-Nonfarm Payroll employment increased 114,000 jobs in September. The 2012 average growth is 146,000/month, so it is declining.
            -Manufacturing jobs (producers of durale goods, the most important jobs) edged down 16,000 jobs.
            Detailing by Dylan
            817-494-3396
            Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
            Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

I thought there were 23 million out of work?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                I thought there were 23 million out of work?
                U6
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                  U6
                  U2

I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
                  How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Right before the election ? yeaaaa right !
                    Vortex rear stand $75
                    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                    11 4 door
                    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      wait for the revised numbers.. I bet we didnt really hit below 8%
                      exactly. This is the same game the Obama Administration has been pulling for literally 16 straight quarters. They will release some ridiculously good looking numbers, then in 2 weeks it will be revised WAY the fuck up, and not a single media outlet will cover it. I promise you.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        U6
                        Sadly, I have a hard time buying that 150,000,000 + are truly working in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                          exactly. This is the same game the Obama Administration has been pulling for literally 16 straight quarters. They will release some ridiculously good looking numbers, then in 2 weeks it will be revised WAY the fuck up, and not a single media outlet will cover it. I promise you.
                          Check the Yard Sale thread where they attempt to explain the .3% bump due to numbers from previous months being adjusted.

I'm not saying it's legit, but that would have an affect.
                          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Even CNBC is questioning the labor department about these numbers. It takes 150,000 jobs a month just to keep up with the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                              Check the Yard Sale thread where they attempt to explain the .3% bump due to numbers from previous months being adjusted.

I'm not saying it's legit, but that would have an affect.
                              I would be interested in the theory if they hadn't done this every single quarter for the last 4 years. I guarantee you it will be adjusted up.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X