Newbie Tea Party Congressmen Continue Washington's History of Spending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Tea Party Congressmen Continue Washington's History of Spending

Stumbled across this by chance today. Backlash here will be immediate and without thought or cause to what's going on because of the source, but it's interesting food for thought for those who can get past that. I'd be willing to listen to a reasonable excuse for this spending if someone can come up with it.

Originally posted by Liberal News Site
    Though they campaigned on a platform of reducing the deficit and ridding wasteful spending, more than a half-dozen Tea Party congressmen have collectively spent over $100,000 in taxpayer money on personal vehicles.

ThinkProgress examined spending records for the 112th Congress and found seven GOP freshmen — Reps. Chip Cravaack (R-MN), Sean Duffy (R-WI), Bill Flores (R-TX), Cory Gardner (R-CO), Bill Johnson (R-OH), Mike Pompeo (R-KS), and Steve Womack (R-AR) — who had spent an average of $15,000 on cars for themselves. All together, their taxpayer bill totaled $106,643.

There is nothing illegal about the practice of using taxpayer money to lease personal-use cars, but it smacks of hypocrisy for Tea Partiers like Duffy who promised to “lead by example” when it comes to deficit reduction.

Many of the vehicles go beyond a standard sedan. For example, Cravaack is charging taxpayers more than $1,000 a month to pay the lease on his 2011 Chevy Equinox, a crossover SUV with all-wheel drive.

Here’s what the seven Republican freshmen’s congressional offices have spent on cars in the past year and a half:

Rep. Chip Cravaack (R-MN): $25,580.84
    Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI): $24,525.00
    Rep. Bill Flores (R-TX): $10,997.45
    Rep. Cory Gardner (R-CO): $20,978.07
    Rep. Bill Johnson (R-OH): $4,889.76
    Rep. Mike Pompeo (R-KS): $8,848.00
    Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR): $10,746.59

TOTAL: $106,643

Data from this report was compiled from the House of Representatives’ official Statement of Disbursements, a quarterly publication regarding all expenditures for House offices, for the 112th Congress.

To clarify, these payments were not personal expenditures from each congressman’s $174,000 salary. The $106,643 in car payments were discretionary office expenses.

Qualifications:

a. This did come from a far-left news source.
    b. I did go through the disbursements ledger and confirm a few of the amounts and they are correct. One of Bill Flores' lease expenses can be found on pg. 970 in the disbursements log (http://disbursements.house.gov/2012q...nglevolume.pdf)

This may be considered "normal" for Congress, but these Tea Party guys campaigned and were elected on the principle of eliminating waste in Washington. And as far as I'm concerned, taxpayers paying for lease payments for Congressmen may not represent much spending in dollars, but philosophically it speaks volumes.

Flame away.

Offhand, I would like to know how their discretionary office expenses compare to other members. I'm guessing that these are probably cars that they have to get around Washington while they are in town. I don't think many of them move to the DC area in the traditional sense of the word.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

You have to remember that a vehicle owned by a politician loses more value and loses value more quickly than a vehicle owned by a regular Joe, so leasing is most likely the cheapest option.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

so let me get this straight , the news article is about pointing out a budgetary line item that has no significance compared to other politicians.

secondly , have you even considered that their job is much more important that this amount of spending ? Just like when you fill out an expense form for work ?

isn't that just common sense?
        or
        are you just trying to hold them to a new standard? (not in any way / shape/ form about what they are REALLY trying accomplish - the reduction of larger amounts of govt waste that is much more prolific)

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
          so let me get this straight , the news article is about pointing out a budgetary line item that has no significance compared to other politicians.

secondly , have you even considered that their job is much more important that this amount of spending ? Just like when you fill out an expense form for work ?

isn't that just common sense?
          or
          are you just trying to hold them to a new standard? (not in any way / shape/ form about what they are REALLY trying accomplish - the reduction of larger amounts of govt waste that is much more prolific)
          They have to limit the discussion to a single line item because it is probably the only one that they can win on.
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

btw , im just curious .
            have you ever had a real job before ?
            where you fill out an expense report ?

Comment

I am disappointed the vehicles were not taken care of with their income. With that said, looking at the numbers, and assuming that these are leases, it appears a few of them are being sensible, while others must be rolling fully loaded Escalades or something. I would like to see, however, a comparative of a few senior (from both parties) congressmen's vehicles costs, and see what is the trend. Then I'll make the decision of whether I should be really pissed at these guys or saying "Hey, thanks for making an effort."

Also, I do ask this. If these guys were flying back and forth from wherever, would it be better to have to rent a car every time they come to DC to have a "office" vehicle to use. I'm not exactly how it works, or how often they bounce from DC to home and back, but I am curious.

-Eric

Edit: I see others have made the same argument

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                They have to limit the discussion to a single line item because it is probably the only one that they can win on.
                Right here. Lets forget about the billions that they have control over every day, but attack on a leased Honda Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                  btw , im just curious .
                  have you ever had a real job before ?
                  where you fill out an expense report ?
                  Yes. Where is the relevance?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                    Offhand, I would like to know how their discretionary office expenses compare to other members. I'm guessing that these are probably cars that they have to get around Washington while they are in town. I don't think many of them move to the DC area in the traditional sense of the word.
                    Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                    Right here. Lets forget about the billions that they have control over every day, but attack on a leased Honda Accord.
                    Absolutely correct on both points. But if we're really going to make it a point to attack the deficit and spending, shouldn't it come at all levels? What's wrong with buying a beater for use while in Washington? Or taking out a couple hundred dollar a month lease on a $16k Focus? That would send a much better message.

That said, I think the article's revelry in "catching" them on this is misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by reo View Post
                      I am disappointed the vehicles were not taken care of with their income...I would like to see, however, a comparative of a few senior (from both parties) congressmen's vehicles costs, and see what is the trend.
                      I'm pretty much in complete agreement with this. Make them pay, give them the tax deduction for unreimbursed expenses. They're very handsomely paid public servants who pull in non-salary benefits left and right.

A comparison to other vehicle costs would certainly be valid. A link to the expense log is nestled in there at the bottom of the OP if anyone's actually interested in seeing the numbers and not just say that they're interested in seeing the numbers.

Comment

Looks like 1k a month for a Chevy Equinox versus this:

Nancy Pelosi spends $2,993 on flowers

Pelosi, who has come under fire in the past for spending on flowers, also spent roughly $30,610 in food and beverage and about $2,740 on bottled water
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          Looks like 1k a month for a Chevy Equinox versus this:

Nancy Pelosi spends $2,993 on flowers

Pelosi, who has come under fire in the past for spending on flowers, also spent roughly $30,610 in food and beverage and about $2,740 on bottled water
                          Absolutely valid point, but is Nancy Pelosi really the bar you want to use for responsible spending?

Comment

Found a few $700 food/beverages, really hoping those aren't some congressman feeling he needed some steak and lobster for him and his secretary.

-Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                              Absolutely valid point, but is Nancy Pelosi really the bar you want to use for responsible spending?
                              Not at all. they should pay for these out of their salary.
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X