Benjamin Franklin, To Colleagues at the Constitutional Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benjamin Franklin, To Colleagues at the Constitutional Convention

"All of us who were engaged in the struggle must have observed frequent instances of superintending providence in our favor. To that kind providence we owe this happy opportunity of consulting in peace on the means of establishing our future national felicity.

And have we now forgotten that powerful friend? Or do we imagine that we no longer need his assistance?

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth - that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the Ground without his Notice, is it probable that an Empire can rise without his Aid?"

Amen!
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

“Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases.”
      ― Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Enjoy your personal belief that God governs your affairs, but your arrogance is showing.

I have not forgotten or imagine anything - I quote plainly don't believe what you do and don't believe that your personal beliefs have anything to do with how the government should work or be designed.

Live your life, I will live mine - but keep your opinions to yourself and don't force them upon me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
          Enjoy your personal belief that God governs your affairs, but your arrogance is showing.

I have not forgotten or imagine anything - I quote plainly don't believe what you do and don't believe that your personal beliefs have anything to do with how the government should work or be designed.

Live your life, I will live mine - but keep your opinions to yourself and don't force them upon me.
          I would sugggest that if anyone is being arrogant, it's you and your belief that I'm "forcing" my opinion on you. All I did was simply quote a statement made by one of the founding fathers. I believe that if anyone, your beef lies with him, not I.

Comment

“Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”

George Washington
            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Oh but guys dont you know ? The founders werent religious !

Comment

“Let every fart count as a peal of thunder for liberty. Let every fart remind the nation of how much it has let pass out of its control. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty… and fart proudly!”

Benjamin Franklin
                Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

So God's got this? Cool. I guess we don't have to do anything.

Edit: No seriously. Is this a political strategy? Leave it up to God? Or we should behave just so, and God will make things all better?
                  Last edited by YALE; 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    I would sugggest that if anyone is being arrogant, it's you and your belief that I'm "forcing" my opinion on you. All I did was simply quote a statement made by one of the founding fathers. I believe that if anyone, your beef lies with him, not I.

When people quote something, especially when adding nothing else for context or variation, then the inference is that they believe and are letting the quote speak for them.

If you want to toss out a quote, have the balls to stand by it, not hide behind it saying " oh well he said it, not me!". If you dont want to stand by it then dont post it.

Or did God post this for you? should i direct this post to Him? Because you obviously dont want to bear any responsibilty for your actions or words.

Comment

Why do you let his post offend you so much?
                      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                        Why do you let his post offend you so much?
                        Believe all the Jesuses!

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          Believe all the Jesuses!
                          believe whatever you want, im just wondering why atheists get so offended?
                          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Because it is someone disagreeing with their religion
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                              believe whatever you want, im just wondering why atheists get so offended?
                              I don't know about anyone else, but my personal frustrations are rooted in my disappointment in my fellow man. It's why I'm also a grammar & spelling nazi. I expect more out of people than this, especially intelligent people like Tx Redneck.

Comment

Working...
                              X