Texas as a nation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    Actually, it would depend on our corporate tax rate. If you cut it below the US' (easy because the US has the highest tax rate in the world) and thinking that those companies would leave because of a risk of losing their federal contracts....do you think no foreign companies hold federal contracts? I can pull a list if you like.

And you expand the tax base by making EVERYONE contribute. I don't care if you earn a $1.00 a year or 2 billion, you all pay x rate. And mandating that everyone serves at least 2 years in the Army or other national guard, solves our defense problems. Or do you think the US will be so upset with us that they won't buy our oil?
    You assume that the US Gov't will sit on their hands while Texas cuts ties. If you don't think that the US will lean on and apply pressure to the corporations economically to abandon Texas then you are living in a fantasy world.

Oil is not going to save the Texas economy. Could they stop buying Texas oil? Sure - tons of other places to get it. You seem to think that Texas has some monopoly on stuff within our borders - we're not that special. We just think we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
      We just think we are.
      It's a great state, but yeah.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have no doubts it would be hell to secede. There would be lots to discuss as far as what to do with ???, such as federal equipment/property (Don't forget, last I heard, there are still a bunch of nukes laying around in Texas). Obviously, the US will not let Texas walk away like it is no big deal. But, I do suspect that if we were to do it, we won't be the only ones leaving. In fact, it could end up being Texas and our neighboring states leaving and forming our own republic. Lets not forget that there are people in New England that are more die-hard about seceding than we are.

-Eric

Comment

Haven't read everybodies posts but this was a subject back in the day in "Canada." The idea of secession is fucking awesome, but the bad blood it would towards the rest of the U.S. would be horrible. Now, if we could get TX, FL, and CA to follow suit....Jesus Christ. How much of an impact that would be on the U.S. would be insane. 3 out of the 4 most populated states in the union.....nuts. Even the threat of secession would make a huge impact. Unfortunately the politicians will never let that happen. It's a scary thing. I don't even thing the majority of the population of those states would be okay with that.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

The easiest way to defeat this whole argument is to look at these individuals that are serious about seceding. fucking fruit cake radicals. Now if you had a large (as in over a million+) organized large business owners, politicians, military, etc. group then ok, it'd start to look like it might actually happen, but it wont. Now, if a Jericho type situation happens, then yes i could see Texas forming up into its own country and giving a big ole FUCK YOU to the rest of the nation. I personally would rather see this happen, as there really is no other solution other then "we're too big to fail"
            http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
              Haven't read everybodies posts but this was a subject back in the day in "Canada." The idea of secession is fucking awesome, but the bad blood it would towards the rest of the U.S. would be horrible. Now, if we could get TX, FL, and CA to follow suit....Jesus Christ. How much of an impact that would be on the U.S. would be insane. 3 out of the 4 most populated states in the union.....nuts. Even the threat of secession would make a huge impact. Unfortunately the politicians will never let that happen. It's a scary thing. I don't even thing the majority of the population of those states would be okay with that.
              You make a valid point as does the poster after you.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
              X