Stolen Valor Act Unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Valor Act Unconstitutional

The Supreme Court struck down the Stolen Valor Act today, saying that the First Amendment defends a person's right to lie -- even if that person is lying about awards and medals won through military service.

The Supreme Court struck down the Stolen Valor Act today, saying that the First Amendment defends a person's right to lie -- even if that person is lying about awards and medals won through military service.

Sorry, but I agree. Is the person a piece of shit that should get kicked in the face? Yeah. Prosecuted? I dunno. If they are doing it for any type of monetary gain it should be covered under fraud and prosecuted as such.

Comment

There is still a law that forbids the wearing of police or military uniform if you're not part of that organization. I can't remember what it is, but you can still prosecute for that. Stolen Valor just made it tougher.
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Sad.

If someone wants to embellish what they did in the service it should not be a crime. Most of the time you know someone is full of shit when they can't even lie about what they did with any type of sense.

Lying about awards or service altogether for financial gain is the biggest reason people do it. One of the reasons among many I never ask about a military discount anywhere. If we eat lunch in uniform and they give it to us that much more gets put on the tip.

There should be some sort of punishment for these guys I just honestly know what. Floodgates will be open on fakers now.

Comment

In my experience, the guys who brag and tell the war stories were not on the front lines...if there at all

People who fight and kill in war are very interested in forgetting those memories, not reliving them for someone else’s entertainment or gain
          Originally posted by Sean88gt
          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
            In my experience, the guys who brag and tell the war stories were not on the front lines...if there at all

People who fight and kill in war are very interested in forgetting those memories, not reliving them for someone else’s entertainment or gain
            Bingo
            2012 SRT8 Challenger 392 Hemi-6 speed
            Bright Silver Metallic w/ Black Stripes
            Leg Maker Inc. 4"Carbon Fiber CAI
            Speedlogix Catch Can
            Resonator Delete

Comment

This is awesome.

so as an active duty service member, if i show up at an event in my uniform wearing ribbons/medals that i did not earn, i can be charged and lose my career (ive read of several Master Chiefs doing this recently).

However, if I'm out of the service, or have never served at all, i can wear a uniform with whatever i want on it and nobody can say shit? thats fucking retarded.
              2011 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post

Yep. They are pretty easy to spot too. I almost got into a fight with an Airman back in 2007/8 who was drinking on his "stories". I called him out after hearing enough "bitch, you guarded a flight line in the middle of Bagram Airfield for 6 months".
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
                  This is awesome.

so as an active duty service member, if i show up at an event in my uniform wearing ribbons/medals that i did not earn, i can be charged and lose my career (ive read of several Master Chiefs doing this recently).

However, if I'm out of the service, or have never served at all, i can wear a uniform with whatever i want on it and nobody can say shit? thats fucking retarded.
                  Actually:

10 USC 771 AND 772 AUTHORIZED AN UNAUTHORIZED WEARING OF MILITARY UNIFORMS.

10 USC § 771 - Unauthorized wearing prohibited

771- Except as otherwise provided by law, no person except a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps, as the case may be, may wear—

(1) the uniform, or a distinctive part of the unif...

Comment

You guys do love to pick and choose your stance on liberty.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

Bingo. If being an asshole was against the law this site wouldn't have any posters left.

Comment

I agree it's protected free speech but think you should be charged and and thrown in jail if you derive any monetary gain from it.

This is awesome.

That's because we fall under the UCMJ. Civilians do not.

Do I agree with what they do? Nope. But I'm not going to imprison them for it.
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                          Not at all. We have laws on fraud, on pretending to be police, and wearing of military uniforms if you're not in the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            Not at all. We have laws on fraud, on pretending to be police, and wearing of military uniforms if you're not in the military.
                            Exactly
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

I never payed much attenton but. Is it just a constant clown show like this when there is a repub prez ?

Comment

Working...
                              X