Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Paul Admits He's On Social Security, Even Though He Believes It's Unconstitutiona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Paul Admits He's On Social Security, Even Though He Believes It's Unconstitutiona

Ron Paul

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) may rail against Social Security insolvency in the public eye, but that hasn't stopped him from accepting the government checks.

The libertarian-leaning Republican and former presidential candidate admitted Wednesday that he accepts Social Security checks just minutes after he called for younger generations to wean themselves off the program, in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"I want young people to opt out of Social Security, but my goal isn't to cut," he said.

The Huffington Post's Sam Stein then asked Paul, "A bit of a personal question -- Are you on Social Security? Do you get social security checks?"

Paul admitted he does, stating, "[It's] just as I use the post office, I use government highways, I use the banks, I use the federal reserve system. But that doesn't mean that you can't work to remove this in the same way on Social Security."

Paul also said he still pays more into Social Security than he gets in his checks.

Paul is outspoken about the need to end government programs like the Federal Reserve and the departments of energy and education. But he said he would not eliminate programs like Social Security and Medicare, despite his belief that the programs are unconstitutional. He planned to allow citizens under the age of 25 to opt out of the system in order to save their own money for retirement, if elected to the presidency.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Why wouldn't he accept the money? He paid into the broke ass system his whole life.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      Why wouldn't he accept the money? He paid into the broke ass system his whole life.
      Just pointing it out. Like him railing for term limits while staying in office for 30 years

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post

Eggzactly
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

I'm also pointing out to the Paul bots there are no unicorns. He's pulling from the system he says shouldn't be there (and I agree with him), talking term limits without limiting himself and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            I'm also pointing out to the Paul bots there are no unicorns. He's pulling from the system he says shouldn't be there (and I agree with him), talking term limits without limiting himself and so forth.

Can't try to fix the system if you remove yourself from it.

Comment

Just like the rest, talk out one side and hand out the other.

Comment

Dunno. If I paid into a system that I had no option of not paying into and didn't agree with I would probably still collect a check when it was my time to collect. Or in other words, what Al said...
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Do as I say, not as I do...

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                    Dunno. If I paid into a system that I had no option of not paying into and didn't agree with I would probably still collect a check when it was my time to collect. Or in other words, what Al said...
                    Yup. Dude paid at least 250k into social security over his working life. I sure as fuck would be wanting it back.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                      Can't try to fix the system if you remove yourself from it.
                      Yes you can. If you're bitching about smoking while lighting up a cigarette, how much pull do you think your words are going to have? If you're complaining about SS (which I agree with him on) how far do your words go when you're collecting?

Comment

Yes you can. If you're bitching about smoking while lighting up a cigarette, how much pull do you think your words are going to have? If you're complaining about SS (which I agree with him on) how far do your words go when you're collecting?

Well, that isn't a ridiculous comparison or anything.

Comment

Yea, cause Congress takes money out of your paycheck every week for cigarettes.....

Not a good comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                            Yea, cause Congress takes money out of your paycheck every week for cigarettes.....

Not a good comparison.
                            It is. Kind of like calling for term limits while not holding yourself to them. Or Obama talking about how everyone should eat healthy while scarfing down chili dogs. He's a hypocrite like every other politician.

Comment

It is. Kind of like calling for term limits while not holding yourself to them. Or Obama talking about how everyone should eat healthy while scarfing down chili dogs. He's a hypocrite like every other politician.
                              Again, not good comparisons.

Had the .gov been taking money out of your paycheck for congressional term limits or healthy food, and promised you a monetary benefit in return for taking the money, then you'd have a good comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X