Voters saying no to more taxes means less law enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voters saying no to more taxes means less law enforcement

Interesting article and I read all 14 pages of comments. Funny how the ex californians that moved to Eugene and Portland bash them for wanting less tax and government. Texas even gets mentioned (in the comments) since we are all armed to the teeth down here.

Comments are comedy gold.

For decades, Josephine and other Oregon timber counties relied on millions in federal timber sales to pay for sheriff's deputies, jails, roads, prosecutors, health clinics and other services.

They could afford to expand the police department and keep taxes the same or even cut them if they cut back in other areas. Hand out programs come immediately to mind.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Yeah, I'm okay with fewer police. I haven't seen that there is less crime, just more people getting into the churn of court dates, fines, and fees. Oh, and more Chargers, gotta have those.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
        Yeah, I'm okay with fewer police. I haven't seen that there is less crime, just more people getting into the churn of court dates, fines, and fees. Oh, and more Chargers, gotta have those.
        The bulk of the people live in Grants Pass and they kept their city cops so when stuff like this comes on the ballot they shoot it down. Same with schools, the older people don't want to vote in increases and the schools suffer for it. They almost shut them down in March a few years ago before the state stepped in. It is like looking into a crystal ball seeing the whole country's future sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
          The bulk of the people live in Grants Pass and they kept their city cops so when stuff like this comes on the ballot they shoot it down. Same with schools, the older people don't want to vote in increases and the schools suffer for it. They almost shut them down in March a few years ago before the state stepped in. It is like looking into a crystal ball seeing the whole country's future sometimes.
          Well, why should those without kids in school pay for a school?
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            Well, why should those without kids in school pay for a school?
            It's considered a mutual benefit for a better society. I can see the logic in it. As well as paying for police and/or FD even if you don't directly use them. Or a standing military even when we are not at war, the benefits may not be directly tangible.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
              It's considered a mutual benefit for a better society. I can see the logic in it. As well as paying for police and/or FD even if you don't directly use them. Or a standing military even when we are not at war, the benefits may not be directly tangible.
              Right. Society hasn't benefited from this idea of everyone but x group chipping in with those having 12 kids paying the same as or less than those who have zero. I'm more in line with the old idea of having a teacher and if you want your kid to go to that school, you pay per child. You don't pay, kid doesn't go.

Military is federal expendature. Huge difference in levels of government and obligated expenses. Police aren't necessary and honestly, there are volunteer fire departments that do a damned good job on donations freely given.

Comment

I'm surprised it took the gov this long to use this excuse. I've been waiting for it.
                sigpic

Comment

What people are finding out is they can live without cops with armored APC's, paramilitary training, full auto weapons, Mk19 automatic grenade launchers, hopped up brand new muscle cars and such.

Comment

Right. Society hasn't benefited from this idea of everyone but x group chipping in with those having 12 kids paying the same as or less than those who have zero. I'm more in line with the old idea of having a teacher and if you want your kid to go to that school, you pay per child. You don't pay, kid doesn't go.

Military is federal expendature. Huge difference in levels of government and obligated expenses. Police aren't necessary and honestly, there are volunteer fire departments that do a damned good job on donations freely given.
                    I am I think in the middle of your views... I don't have kids but live in one of the better school districts around. My taxes may be a bit higher (although anymore I think the "better" districts do more with the budget they have regardless of the amount and give a shit about doing something for the kids with it) I am happy to pay them since in theory that means a more stable community and as a result less crime. Seems like the two go hand in hand.

When people bitch about inner city schools not doing enough, I would wager the tax base in the hood is not to stellar and nobody gives a shit. That trickles up and down.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                      Dead on well said!!

Could have saved me a post had I seen this.
                      Last edited by Couver; 06-05-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

What people are finding out is they can live without cops with armored APC's, paramilitary training, full auto weapons, Mk19 automatic grenade launchers, hopped up brand new muscle cars and such.
                        This too... There is a medium ground but in this day and age of shock OMG media you are expected to choose sides and by god hold them.... I just wish we could get back to spending what we need. If there is a surplus then extras are good.

On a side note I wonder if people even know what they pay in extra lodging and rental car taxes to stay in a city with a brand new stadium or pet project? I travel all the time and in places like DC and New Orleans I have to break out up to three taxes a bill on my travel claim...

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                          This too... There is a medium ground but in this day and age of shock OMG media you are expected to choose sides and by god hold them.... I just wish we could get back to spending what we need. If there is a surplus then extras are good.

On a side note I wonder if people even know what they pay in extra lodging and rental car taxes to stay in a city with a brand new stadium or pet project? I travel all the time and in places like DC and New Orleans I have to break out up to three taxes a bill on my travel claim...
                          If your people don't want higher taxes, then you cut back to adjust accordingly. Cops shouldn't have APC's. Zero reason for that. Every tax dollar should be used wisely and if not spent, returned to the taxpayer and them alone. There's zero reason I, with one kid, should have to subsidize the guy down the road with 6 kids. That doesn't make good citizens, that makes more welfare recipients.

Comment

I don't mind paying for other peoples' kids education. That certainly beats the alternative, which is living around a bunch of worthless dumbfucks.

Obviously my assumption here is that the education I'm paying for is going to keep those kids from being worthless dumbfucks and frankly I think I'm being taken for a ride. But that's a different thread.
                            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              I don't mind paying for other peoples' kids education. That certainly beats the alternative, which is living around a bunch of worthless dumbfucks.

Obviously my assumption here is that the education I'm paying for is going to keep those kids from being worthless dumbfucks and frankly I think I'm being taken for a ride. But that's a different thread.
                              True. Were we getting our money's worth, then it may be worth it. As a large percentage of graduates aren't able to read or write and have a 'give me' mentality, I haven't seen that spending more and more on education has been a wise move.

Comment

Working...
                              X