Voters saying no to more taxes means less law enforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    True. Were we getting our money's worth, then it may be worth it. As a large percentage of graduates aren't able to read or write and have a 'give me' mentality, I haven't seen that spending more and more on education has been a wise move.
    Again we see the same way... Like I posted earlier it is not so much the money but what you do with it.l. I would rather have kids getting something out of their education then wasting it worrying about the political correct phrase of the day or the next 13 million dollar sports complex.

Good schools educate and keep kids engaged learning and wanting more. Not pushing them up to the next grade every year for funding.

That is what sucks. Less kids is less money so let us go get a whole bunch along with the cash. Does not matter what the get out of it but by god look at our brand new campus they can mill about smartly and not learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
      Again we see the same way... Like I posted earlier it is not so much the money but what you do with it.l. I would rather have kids getting something out of their education then wasting it worrying about the political correct phrase of the day or the next 13 million dollar sports complex.

Good schools educate and keep kids engaged learning and wanting more. Not pushing them up to the next grade every year for funding.

That is what sucks. Less kids is less money so let us go get a whole bunch along with the cash. Does not matter what the get out of it but by god look at our brand new campus they can mill about smartly and not learn.
      I believe that school shouldn't be mandatory. You get past the level where they teach you to read and do basic math it shoudl be up to you to continue your education, not the taxpayers
      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I believe that school shouldn't be mandatory. You get past the level where they teach you to read and do basic math it shoudl be up to you to continue your education, not the taxpayers
        similar to what china does? I believe after so long if you're not up to snuff you go to a trade school. I think thats brilliant.....

Comment

Right. Society hasn't benefited from this idea of everyone but x group chipping in with those having 12 kids paying the same as or less than those who have zero. I'm more in line with the old idea of having a teacher and if you want your kid to go to that school, you pay per child. You don't pay, kid doesn't go.

Military is federal expendature. Huge difference in levels of government and obligated expenses. Police aren't necessary and honestly, there are volunteer fire departments that do a damned good job on donations freely given.
          What about the GI Bill? That's been proven time and again to pay back more in tax remunerations than it costs.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            What about the GI Bill? That's been proven time and again to pay back more in tax remunerations than it costs.
            I've been asked this repeatedly when I bring up this topic.

1. We pay into the GI bill. If you do not contribute monthly you are not eligible for it when you get out. Period. Didn't pay in? Tough.

2. GI bill is regulated to only those who served honorably for a period of x time for a pay of y provided you meet XYZ conditions.

3. You have to front your money for school and books and 2 months later, they send your first money to catch you up.

4. If you fail to meet the performance standards, your GI bill is cut off.

Comment

I'm fine with all of that, but I was talking specifically about the postwar GI Bill.

I've been asked this repeatedly when I bring up this topic.

1. We pay into the GI bill. If you do not contribute monthly you are not eligible for it when you get out. Period. Didn't pay in? Tough.

2. GI bill is regulated to only those who served honorably for a period of x time for a pay of y provided you meet XYZ conditions.

3. You have to front your money for school and books and 2 months later, they send your first money to catch you up.

4. If you fail to meet the performance standards, your GI bill is cut off.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Post 9/11

Comment

Post 9/11 is similar. I didn't switch to it when it came out im still on the older GI bill but if you switch you have to pay even more into the system.

Sent from my iPhone
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Well, why should those without kids in school pay for a school?
                    Did the "people without kids" go to school when they were kids? I bet most of them went to public schools. Unless they went to private schools, who paid for the "people without kids" to receive their basic education? It's just circular.
                    Jon

Comment

I get the impression the public school system is what the kids/parents put into it. I'm around some kids who have graduated, are graduating or will be soon and they are all VERY school smart. Idiots (Should say ignorant) for the real world, but they are not taking minimum classes, work hard and get good grades. It shows in what they know, but they also only know that one way taught to them about various aspects and are set on it since they don't know any better.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                        Post 9/11 is similar. I didn't switch to it when it came out im still on the older GI bill but if you switch you have to pay even more into the system.

Sent from my iPhone
                        There are some mistruths about GI bills in here. First off, for the Montgomery, you pay in $1,200 and can get back over $47,000 in benefits...so you don't exactly pay for all of it (at least, monetarily).

The Post 9/11 doesn't cost the service member a dime, it comes with time in service.

Comment

Originally posted by exlude View Post
                          There are some mistruths about GI bills in here. First off, for the Montgomery, you pay in $1,200 and can get back over $47,000 in benefits...so you don't exactly pay for all of it (at least, monetarily).

The Post 9/11 doesn't cost the service member a dime, it comes with time in service.
                          Correct. Not that I have a problem with it, but I knew what Yale was alluding to.

Comment

Great article. I like how the media has to make the situation as scary as possible. Oh dear, the local government has had to cut back, whatever shall we do?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I switched from GI bill to Post 9/11. Quite a bit better benefits and while they still take forever to pay you, they pay the school directly (instead of making you do it) and hand you a stipend. Hell of a good deal.

It works because in order to pull it, you have to serve honorably and maintain a performance level. Now, if you want to make schools like that, I'm all for it

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
                                Did the "people without kids" go to school when they were kids? I bet most of them went to public schools. Unless they went to private schools, who paid for the "people without kids" to receive their basic education? It's just circular.
                                Probably. Are you saying those who went to private schools should be able to opt out? I agree. However at what point is that debt repaid? If I went to school K-12 that's 13 years of class. 13 years in which my parents paid into the system and when I started working I did too.

So, like road spending bills, at what point have I paid my dues? How does it make sense for a 60 year old who hasn't been in school for 40 years to be paying school taxes? Have they not paid what they owe?

Comment

Working...
                                X