Guy arrested for "touching" Cheney..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy arrested for "touching" Cheney..

First off, I understand if you touch someone you can be construed as a threat quite easily however some of the comments in the article confuse me on the facts:

A Secret Service agent overheard Howards saying during a cell phone conversation, “I’m going to ask (Cheney) how many kids he’s killed today.”

Howards then went over to Cheney and told him that his “policies in Iraq are dis*gusting.”

Cheney thanked Howards and moved on, but Howards patted Cheney’s shoulder as he was leaving – although some witnesses called it “a forceful push.”

Secret Service agent questioned Howards – which led to his arrest and the filing of state harassment charges against Howards which were later dismissed.

But Howards sued the Secret Service agents, Gus Reichle and Dan Doyle, arguing that they had arrested him in retaliation for his exercise of his First Amendment rights by speaking to Cheney.

The agents did have probable cause to arrest Howards and the justices said in their decision Monday that “at the time of Howards’ ar*rest, it was not clearly established that an arrest support*ed by probable cause could violate the First Amendment.”

The court said it “has never recognized a First Amendment right to be free from a retaliatory arrest that is supported by probable cause” and ruled that the agents had immunity from being sued by Howards.

So you can be arrested in retaliation as long as there is probable cause? That’s like saying bribes are okay as long as we dont see them or there is something there that makes it seem legit....fucking hypocrites
    In her concurring opinion, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said, “Whatever the views of Secret Service Agents Reichle and Doyle on the administration’s policies in Iraq, they were duty bound to take the content of Howards’ statements into account in determining whether he posed an immediate threat to the Vice President’s physical security. Retaliatory animus cannot be inferred from the assessment they made in that regard. If rational, that assessment should not expose them to claims for civil damages.”
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Post the link, please.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

And? Looks like they had plenty of probable cause to me.

Comment

First step in establishing legitimacy is looking where it came from. MSNBC is probably the most liberal network on the planet, anything that has Cheney involved will get published.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          First step in establishing legitimacy is looking where it came from. MSNBC is probably the most liberal network on the planet, anything that has Cheney involved will get published.
          I think where gtracer got his info from was different than where roliath got his. Gtracer states Cheney was "touched", where as Roliaths article states that he patted Cheney on the back after he made some comments, with witnesses stating it looked like he pushed the Vice President. Rule number 1, don't touch the President or Vice President, I promise you won't like the outcome.

Comment

I don't understand how an arrest can be characterized as retaliatory if there's PC. If he wasn't abused in custody, and the charges were dropped, he's a sissy for taking it this far. In fact, I'd bet the adjective the SS members would use would be, "amusing."
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

When Ruth Bader Ginsburg rules against you it's time to reflect on your life.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Considering he's a VP and an old guy in horrible health, I'm surprised the guy got that close to Cheney. That said, had I been in the security ranks, I would have knocked him on his ass for touching a VP like that. I don't care if it's him, Joe Biden, or Barry himself.

Comment

When you push the Vice President, expect bad stuff to happen. He's lucky he didn't have broken bones. Chaney shot a lawyer for less
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    When you push the Vice President, expect bad stuff to happen. He's lucky he didn't have broken bones. Chaney shot a lawyer for less
                    Hell, yeah! Got between him and that quail!

Comment

I must be missing something. You guys are acting like these people are Gods. Fuck them, they are nothing special. They are Americans just like you, they hold no special rights above you!

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
                        I must be missing something. You guys are acting like these people are Gods. Fuck them, they are nothing special. They are Americans just like you, they hold no special rights above you!
                        Right. And you shove someone in front of a cop and you're going to get busted. This isn't special, it's the law. You do not lay hands on someone who doesn't want you to touch them. That's assault.

Comment

Originally posted by tazz007 View Post
                          Under those circumstances, I would consider a stranger walking up and touching me a threat. If you think security detail around a VP (or any high-profile figure) isn't a little different and necessary, I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                            Under those circumstances, I would consider a stranger walking up and touching me a threat. If you think security detail around a VP (or any high-profile figure) isn't a little different and necessary, I disagree.
                            Tell you what Tazz. Walk up to a cop and give him a shove. See if the rules aren't different

Comment

Working...
                            X