High school teacher tells student he can be arrested for criticizing Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school teacher tells student he can be arrested for criticizing Obama

At Examiner.com™ we help you excel personal finance, boost income, invest wisely, travel smart, reach financial freedom faster, and enjoy life on a budget.

After criticizing Mitt Romney, a North Carolina high school teacher yelled at a student for asking a question about Barack Obama, telling him that he could be arrested for criticizing Barack Obama.

Sarah Campbell wrote at the Salisbury Post Saturday that the heated exchange began "with a classroom conversation about a recent news story detailing Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney allegedly bullying a classmate in prep school. It turns into a heated, sometimes confrontational debate."

“Didn’t Obama bully someone though,” one student asked, referring to an incident in Obama's memoir, “Dreams from My Father,” in which Obama admitted pushing a girl when other students called him her boyfriend.

“Stop, no, because there is no comparison,” the teacher said.

According to the teacher, Romney is “running for president," and therefore does not deserve the same respect as Obama, who "is the president.”

“Listen, let me tell you something, you will not disrespect the president of the United States in this classroom,” she said.

She went on to tell the student that he "will not" say what he wants about Obama, and asserted that it was a crime to "slander" the President. The student responded by recalling that many spoke ill of George W. Bush while he was President, and such arrests would violate the Constitutional right to free speech.

The teacher asked: “Do you realize that people were arrested for saying things bad about Bush?”

But Michael Bitzer, a political science professor at Catawba College, told the Post he had “no idea” what the teacher was talking about when she claimed people "were arrested for saying bad things about Bush."

“I have never heard of anyone arrested for saying derogatory things about George W. Bush, which I am assuming she is referring to,” he said. “Her belief that if one slanders the president is not very accurate — if you ‘threaten’ the president, that is another story, and that is a criminal offense.”

Bitzer went on to say the student was more correct than the teacher.

“Her point about not being able to say anything ‘disrespectful’ about the president does fly in the face of the First Amendment, and while she may wish to enforce that edict about ‘respecting’ the president, the issue seems to have gotten personal on her part,” he added, saying that her attempt to make a point seems to have been overshadowed by her personal feelings toward Obama.

"Granted, she apparently tried to ensure that a respectful conversation was had about the president, but she seems to have taken things a bit too personally — and it appears the student was set on making a confrontation in the guise of raising a question about ‘who bullied who — both Romney and Obama'," he wrote.

Bitzer said the teacher was a “bit overboard in being rude towards the student,” but added that the student "was also trying to pick a fight."

The school system said it could not comment on the incident publicly, but said the social studies teacher - who was not identified - is still working for the district.

“The Rowan-Salisbury School System expects all students and employees to be respectful in the school environment and for all teachers to maintain their professionalism in the classroom. This incident should serve as an education for all teachers to stop and reflect on their interaction with students," the district told the Post in an email.

A video of the confrontation was uploaded to YouTube and had over 3,400 views as of this writing. The video appears to have been taken with a camera phone pointing to the ceiling and does not show the teacher or any of the students.

Sounds like a liberal drone to me. Props to the kid.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Someone should brush her teeth with a swingline.

Comment

Good. Question the teachers. You should see the liberal psych department when I get a hold of them
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
          Sounds like a liberal drone to me. Props to the kid.
          Sounded like shaquonda...
          www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Fuck her and our cunt of a president.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
              Reported to attackwatch.com
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

If I was a parent, I would refuse to let the school put my kid in a class taught by that teacher.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
                .223 > 911

Comment

I guess we see why North Carolina is a "battle-ground" state...literally.

Comment

I was thinking "Yeah, college "Professors" across the country are f'ed up and one sided. Saw SouthernSVT's post, re-read and saw this was in damned HS. Even worst, since teachers do have more smack down power since, lets face it, there is no real tuition.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      see you in detention sir.

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

The very people who invented the modern protest movement and demand a liberal interpretation of every law (ie abortion as a First Amendment - freedom of speech issue) are the same who wish to stifle any criticism of His Majesty.

Comment

In all the college classes I've taken since 2008 I have not heard a single Professor praise or say anything positive about Obama, and I've had multiple races and genders heading the class.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                            In all the college classes I've taken since 2008 I have not heard a single Professor praise or say anything positive about Obama, and I've had multiple races and genders heading the class.
                            TCCD isn't what I'd consider a liberal university. Throw a stone to nearly any 4 year college around here, and your experience would be the opposite.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I don't think you guys are giving educated people enough credit. For every nut you hear about that is so crazy they make the news, there are 30 other Professors not trying to push a personal agenda. Sorta like Matt always talking about cops. Lol The difference is that Profs will happily ostracize a colleague for talking out of their ass instead of defending their idiocy.

Comment

Working...
                              X