Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI, it is now illegal to carry American cash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm ... so you can't carry too much money around, and you can't deposit less then $10,000 too frequently or they will just take it. Interesting.

Story at-a-glance

The U.S. government has seized $70,000 from a small dairy farmer in Maryland because they made bank deposits in increments that were less than $10,000; the feds accused the farmer of “structuring,” or violating the Bank Secrecy Act by intentionally depositing smaller amounts so they would not have to fill out the paperwork required of larger deposits

The raid on the farmer was conducted by an agency created in 2009 to go after money-laundering criminals; the agency started out with a bang by seizing $1.2 billion from a real money launderer, but it appears that what it’s interested in now is making criminals out of small business persons, including small farmers

Another small family farm in rural Michigan—and possibly others—may be shut down by a new state law that designates certain breeds of hogs as “feral,” and labels them a threat to neighboring hog breeders and croplands

Your ability, your right, to purchase and consume pure, unadulterated food grown by small independent farms continues to be threated if you live in the United States; support your local small farmers as much as possible whenever you buy your food
    DamonH

Comment

This pisses me off more than anything I have ever heard of.

So if my grandmother leaves $125k cash to me as an inheritance, I'm a criminal for having it in the car with me... or for depositing it in a lump sum... or for breaking up deposits so as not to arouse suspicion. Any of these actions can lead to my legally-attained cash being stolen from me and I have to come up with PROOF that I have a legal right to possess it?

Pay stubs? WTF. Remind me what country we live in and what expectations of freedom we should have.

I think the LEOs here need to take a step back and look at the policies they enforce. This is real, honest, jack-booted-thug bullshit.
      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I can see how people get frustrated with this board. I have said multiple times in this thread that I would not seize money unless there was another crime involved. I further stated that I don't see how other LEOs are seizing money with nothing else to go on other than the large some of cash. Passion for what you believe in is great. Blind passion, not so much.
        2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Originally posted by JamisonFRC View Post
          Generally a pay stub/work history would go a long way. Again I am speaking about seizures based on narcotics being found. I totally agree about being pissed if you are buying a car or some other type of legitimate business deal. But I am going to say that it is few and far between that it happens that way. And before you say one time is too many, I completely agree.

Did you read post #14?

140 cases of it happening between 2006 and 2008 in a single town in east Texas

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            This pisses me off more than anything I have ever heard of.

So if my grandmother leaves $125k cash to me as an inheritance, I'm a criminal for having it in the car with me... or for depositing it in a lump sum... or for breaking up deposits so as not to arouse suspicion. Any of these actions can lead to my legally-attained cash being stolen from me and I have to come up with PROOF that I have a legal right to possess it?

Pay stubs? WTF. Remind me what country we live in and what expectations of freedom we should have.

I think the LEOs here need to take a step back and look at the policies they enforce. This is real, honest, jack-booted-thug bullshit.
            We don't live in the country we grew up in, that is for damn sure.

Comment

I can see how people get frustrated with this board. I have said multiple times in this thread that I would not seize money unless there was another crime involved. I further stated that I don't see how other LEOs are seizing money with nothing else to go on other than the large some of cash. Passion for what you believe in is great. Blind passion, not so much.
              You're saying we have to prove we legally possess the cash in order to get it back from the Gestapo and we're saying they should have to prove we have it illegally. You're looking at it from the cop point of view that we shouldn't have that kind of cash and if we do, we obviously have committed a crime and we should have no problem with proving we have it legally.

If you pulled someone over, as was done in the story, for speeding and find 50k in the car, are you going to seize it?
              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I have already answered that several times in this thread, no. I've already said that I don't agree with seizing money I there is no other crime committed besides a traffic violation.
                2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

I have already answered that several times in this thread, no. I've already said that I don't agree with seizing money I there is no other crime committed besides a traffic violation.
                  Great, but seems quite a few cops are okay with it and are stealing from people using their badge to protect themselves. If cops don't police their own, someone will nothing to lose will
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    We don't live in the country we grew up in, that is for damn sure.
                    Quoted for the FUCKING truth for sure. Just thinking about bringing a child into this world today knowing it is only going backwards is scaring the shit out of me. I am going to teach him/her the ways of the Sparta, get strong, get smart and get there before kindergarden.

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                    You're saying we have to prove we legally possess the cash in order to get it back from the Gestapo and we're saying they should have to prove we have it illegally. You're looking at it from the cop point of view that we shouldn't have that kind of cash and if we do, we obviously have committed a crime and we should have no problem with proving we have it legally.
                    Props for a good post.

I made a deposit today of cash considered sizeable. I am so glad I did not get pulled over and have to PROVE I came about it legally.

Imagine if they just take the whole car......"you need to prove that you paid for this with money earned on the up and up. Until then, thighten your shoe laces"
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                      Quoted for the FUCKING truth for sure. Just thinking about bringing a child into this world today knowing it is only going backwards is scaring the shit out of me. I am going to teach him/her the ways of the Sparta, get strong, get smart and get there before kindergarden.

Props for a good post.

I made a deposit today of cash considered sizeable. I am so glad I did not get pulled over and have to PROVE I came about it legally.

Imagine if they just take the whole car......"you need to prove that you paid for this with money earned on the up and up. Until then, thighten your shoe laces"
                      I've asked myself the question numerous times - what is the benefit of staying in this country? The membership fees (taxes) are fucking ridiculous, the political correctness is a joke that will end the civilization, and all we do is get softer and softer each year. Even football has turned weak. I just want to do my thing, be with my family, not be taxed or surcharged or fee'd to death and ultimately just left the fuck alone.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                        Oh sure, focus your actions on the lowest rung of the problem and ignore the "head of the snake".
                        The officer has the discretion at the moment where he can fuck someone's life up over absolutely nothing, or he can let the person continue living their lawful life. The higher ups have NOTHING to do with that circumstance.

Comment

I've asked myself the question numerous times - what is the benefit of staying in this country? The membership fees (taxes) are fucking ridiculous, the political correctness is a joke that will end the civilization, and all we do is get softer and softer each year. Even football has turned weak. I just want to do my thing, be with my family, not be taxed or surcharged or fee'd to death and ultimately just left the fuck alone.
                          Well, come out to the country. This is the best thing I have found so far. Out in the middle of nowhere and can do what I want. That is the only way I have found to live in the US and still be "free."
                          May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                          Semper Fi

Comment

Devil's advocate - where would you go? As screwed up as things are here, I've seen and read about other countries that I thought sounded good, like Australia, and it is worse. I'm not trying to start crap, just a serious question.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                              Devil's advocate - where would you go? As screwed up as things are here, I've seen and read about other countries that I thought sounded good, like Australia, and it is worse. I'm not trying to start crap, just a serious question.
                              If only there were places to go...

LMFAO!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                                Lol at blaming it on the guys up the ladder. You are such a douchebag.
                                Stop and think a minute asswipe.

If one guy did it and got hammered for it by his chain of command, do you think it would continue?

If the DOJ would address this as illegal, do you think an officer would thumb their nose at a 1983 violation?

Unless you have evidence of a crime, it is unconstitutional for this practice, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X