Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FYI, it is now illegal to carry American cash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that our department will not sign off on seizing money from a random traffic stop unless dope is found. And even then, CCH as well as other factors come in to play. I am not defending the actions of the officers in the OP. But like I said there is an avenue to get the money back. Most of the time people don't show up to the seizure hearing because they can't prove the money is legit.
    2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Originally posted by JamisonFRC View Post
      I know that our department will not sign off on seizing money from a random traffic stop unless dope is found. And even then, CCH as well as other factors come in to play. I am not defending the actions of the officers in the OP. But like I said there is an avenue to get the money back. Most of the time people don't show up to the seizure hearing because they can't prove the money is legit.
      This really makes me sad. "I'm taking your cash and it is up to you to convince me that it is yours"

Do people just willfully hand it over?

Comment

I personally wouldn't seize someone's cash without a crime taking place, i.e. having dope. If they have dope they are under arrest. The seizure comes after that. At that point they don't have a choice.

I just can't see how they can take money without there being some type of criminal offense to precipitate the seizure. Maybe it's just me. But I consider myself fairly open minded.
        2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

He took 20k but didn't arrest the guy ? I guarangoddamntee you I would have been arrested.
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I personally wouldn't seize someone's cash without a crime taking place, i.e. having dope. If they have dope they are under arrest. The seizure comes after that. At that point they don't have a choice.

I just can't see how they can take money without there being some type of criminal offense to precipitate the seizure. Maybe it's just me. But I consider myself fairly open minded.
            I appreciate where you are coming from. To reframe it, if someone just walked up to me and attempted to gank $20k, life would get very unpleasant for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              I appreciate where you are coming from. To reframe it, if someone just walked up to me and attempted to gank $20k, life would get very unpleasant for them.
              I understand and agree. I , if I were stopped by LEO, would at the very least request a supervisor to the scene.

I have heard, but can't prove at this point, that anything over $10k is considered "contraband". I will ask some of our interdiction guys to clarify.
              2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

I have heard, but can't prove at this point, that anything over $10k is considered "contraband". I will ask some of our interdiction guys to clarify.
                You should be asking someone who knows because it sounds like your "interdiction guys" are going to get you into trouble.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  You should be asking someone who knows because it sounds like your "interdiction guys" are going to get you into trouble.
                  I am no longer in a patrol capacity, so if I am seizing anything it likely will not be money. Maybe blood, hair or saliva but not money.

I am just trying to pass on information. I will let you guys know what I find out.
                  2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Guilty until you prove your innocence, fucking typical.

Stevo
                    Last edited by stevo; 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM.
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Right, so how would you prove it's yours? Say I don't trust banks and just have it in a lockbox and decide to go buy something. Why is it on the citizen to prove their innocence? Kind of like me calling a cop a pedophile and leaving it up to him to prove he's not.

How do you prove otherwise?
                      I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

The fact that this is even up for debate disgusts me.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                          You and me both. Cops should be held to a higher standard. You take my money under the color of law enforcement and don't charge me but don't return my property? I should be able to shoot you until I'm satisfied that I have my money's worth
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Drug laws are a bitch. This is why I don't like stopping for cops. These idiots can plant drugs, make their dogs false alert, and jail you. This has happened so many times it's sickening.

In be4 "stop breaking the law asshole!"

Unjust laws are null and void, and I won't submit to them.
                            Full time ninja editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              Right, so how would you prove it's yours? Say I don't trust banks and just have it in a lockbox and decide to go buy something. Why is it on the citizen to prove their innocence? Kind of like me calling a cop a pedophile and leaving it up to him to prove he's not.

How do you prove otherwise?
                              Generally a pay stub/work history would go a long way. Again I am speaking about seizures based on narcotics being found. I totally agree about being pissed if you are buying a car or some other type of legitimate business deal. But I am going to say that it is few and far between that it happens that way. And before you say one time is too many, I completely agree.
                              2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                                Human nature never changes and history doesn't really repeat itself but it has an interesting rhyme to it.
                                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X