Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This should probably go in the political forum

Feel free to move:

I don't know how I feel about creating jobs and making them specific to 'low income and disconnected youth,' rather than basing it on skills and making it equal opportunity. I can see the value in enticing them to break the cycle and get out of the system, but at the same time, it's another handout.

The White House announced Wednesday that the administration has secured commitments from numerous cities to provide summer jobs for youth.

From the Office of the Press Secretary - The White House:

Today, Secretary Solis will join Mayor Nutter at Philadelphia's City Hall to announce that the Administration has secured additional commitments from 95 companies and non-profits, three cities, two federal agencies and the White House to provide 110,000 new summer jobs and other employment opportunities for low-income and disconnected youth this year as part of the Summer Jobs+ initiative for a total of nearly 300,000 opportunities. Employment opportunities include 90,000 paid jobs and thousands of mentorships, internships and other training opportunities. The Administration will also launch the Summer Jobs+ Bank, a new online search tool to help connect young people to jobs, internships and other employment opportunities this summer and year round.

Should have started worrying about job creation 4 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
      Feel free to move:

I don't know how I feel about creating jobs and making them specific to 'low income and disconnected youth,' rather than basing it on skills and making it equal opportunity. I can see the value in enticing them to break the cycle and get out of the system, but at the same time, it's another handout.

The White House announced Wednesday that the administration has secured commitments from numerous cities to provide summer jobs for youth.

From the Office of the Press Secretary - The White House:

Today, Secretary Solis will join Mayor Nutter at Philadelphia's City Hall to announce that the Administration has secured additional commitments from 95 companies and non-profits, three cities, two federal agencies and the White House to provide 110,000 new summer jobs and other employment opportunities for low-income and disconnected youth this year as part of the Summer Jobs+ initiative for a total of nearly 300,000 opportunities. Employment opportunities include 90,000 paid jobs and thousands of mentorships, internships and other training opportunities. The Administration will also launch the Summer Jobs+ Bank, a new online search tool to help connect young people to jobs, internships and other employment opportunities this summer and year round.
      Poverty, crime, and social system burden are all related. Give these people an opportunity and they may learn a skill or get the drive to better themselves. Anything that might make someone a contributer to society instead of a lifelong taker, is always a plus in my book.
      Hellcat Charger

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Should have started worrying about job creation 4 years ago.
        nah, he had to save something for the re-election. Americans have shorter memories than attention spans...all he has to do is shine for a few months, and the 3.75 years of shit are all forgotten somehow.

Comment

I wonder how much taxpayer money was spent to "create" those 90k jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Got5onIt View Post
            Poverty, crime, and social system burden are all related. Give these people an opportunity and they may learn a skill or get the drive to better themselves. Anything that might make someone a contributer to society instead of a lifelong taker, is always a plus in my book.
            I completely agree. It just seems a little strange to discriminate against applicants that are above the poverty line. That, and the jobs are for low income youth and young adults 14-24. That definitely defies the Equal
            Opportunity Act.

Comment

I completely agree. It just seems a little strange to discriminate against applicants that are above the poverty line. That, and the jobs are for low income youth and young adults 14-24. That definitely defies the Equal
              Opportunity Act.
              While you're technically correct, this program is designed to address a problem, and the unemployment rates of those 14-24 are massively greater than any other age demographic.

If you're trying to fix a problem, you gotta target the issues at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                While you're technically correct, this program is designed to address a problem, and the unemployment rates of those 14-24 are massively greater than any other age demographic.

If you're trying to fix a problem, you gotta target the issues at hand.
                So what happens when the ghetto rats and the occupiers don't take these employers up on the opportunity? Will those vacant jobs sit out of the reach of motivated people that want them? The whole program seems to conflict with the recently abandoned regulatory initiatives from a week ago that would keep anyone under 18 out of the workforce.

Comment

So what happens when the ghetto rats and the occupiers don't take these employers up on the opportunity? Will those vacant jobs sit out of the reach of motivated people that want them? .
                  No. Then they will claim that those are jobs that Americans won't do and give them to the illegals.

Comment

So what happens when the ghetto rats and the occupiers don't take these employers up on the opportunity? Will those vacant jobs sit out of the reach of motivated people that want them? The whole program seems to conflict with the recently abandoned regulatory initiatives from a week ago that would keep anyone under 18 out of the workforce.
                    I think they'll fill them easily.
                    Hellcat Charger

Comment

Sounds soviet.

Comment

Most people miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          Most people miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
                          Quote your sources to avoid plagiarism charges, copper.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                            Damn. Now you can't even think for yourself? You've got to steal material from Thomas Edison?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                              Damn. Now you can't even think for yourself? You've got to steal material from Thomas Edison?
                              See!

Comment

Working...
                              X