Iran Attack Soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
    Most of the comments here assume that an attack on a carrier would be an air attack of some type. Does Iran have any submarines?
    If so, they would be unsophisticated and could be easily destroyed by the carrier's battle group.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      Underestimating your enemy is one way to insure defeat. And yes they do have a significant anti-ship capability. It may have been a long time ago, but the USS Stark is a good example of that. I recall the started production of a new anti ship missile just last year.

Remember, back in 2002, how we were constantly told that Iraq would be a "cake walk". You'd think we would have learned that there is no such thing.
      Militarily it was a cake walk, we took the country in three weeks. What you're talking about is politics, and building infrastructure.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

That is more to what I am getting at. Sinking a carrier, even if it means taking large losses, is a huge win for them in several ways. Just like the Tet Offensive was a horrible military loss for the Viet Cong, it was a huge psychological win for them in many respects.

Fortunately, I don't think the US Navy is underestimating the threat.
        99 out of 100 there's no way they're even getting close to a carrier.

The Stark knew the fucking mirage was coming from 200 miles out via an AWACS and didn't do a damn thing until it came within view.

Even then all they did was send a request to identify themselves... At that point an Exocet is probably going to eat your lunch.

Honestly, if\when shit goes down I would much rather be sitting on that CV surrounded by a 200 mile buffer of billions of dollars of equipment in the form of a battle group with air, surface, and sub cover than being one of those guys holding an assault rifle, sporting NVGs and waiting for the CH-47's ramp to go down.....
        Last edited by Gargamel; 04-28-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Underestimating your enemy is one way to insure defeat. And yes they do have a significant anti-ship capability. It may have been a long time ago, but the USS Stark is a good example of that. I recall the started production of a new anti ship missile just last year.

Remember, back in 2002, how we were constantly told that Iraq would be a "cake walk". You'd think we would have learned that there is no such thing.
          Iraq WAS a cake walk. Getting Saddam was pretty quick. What we fucked up on and never do right is nation building
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
            If so, they would be unsophisticated and could be easily destroyed by the carrier's battle group.
            I think they have some Diesel Electric subs. From my basic understanding of how subs work Diesel Electric subs are hard(er) to detect compared to Nuc subs (if they are below the surface operating on batteries) but if there is a sub threat from Iran I have to imagine our Squidly brothers are prepared for such a threat.
            2004 Suzuki DL650
            1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Iran was a cakewalk. It's the bullshit nation building that wasn't.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                I think I just heard gas prices going up again.........
                i hope so i made good money last time

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                  I think they have some Diesel Electric subs. From my basic understanding of how subs work Diesel Electric subs are hard(er) to detect compared to Nuc subs (if they are below the surface operating on batteries) but if there is a sub threat from Iran I have to imagine our Squidly brothers are prepared for such a threat.

Due mainly to the Chinese submarine threat (The Chinese got their technology from Russia and the Iranians got their technology from China), our Navy has really bolstered the USW (Under Sea Warfare) capabilities. Just a few examples...
                  Our submarine fleet: While smaller in numbers, has vastly improved detection capabilities.
                  Our Surface combatants: Same deal as the subs, plus some SERIOUS anti-aircraft/anti-missile capabilities.
                  Our ASW helicopter fleet: The MH-60R is almost fully implemented. And trust me, they are some bad mama-jamas when it comes to finding something submerged.
                  Our long-range patrol aircraft: The P-3 is still an amazing aircraft, and the P-8 is coming into the fleet now.

So, I say bring it on, Mock-mood Ahmedoodydude. We got this!
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                  X