Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran Attack Soon?

They are deploying F-22s near Iran.

The U.S. military has deployed several F-22s, the nation's most advanced fighter jets, to an allied base less than 200 miles from Iran.

The Air Force strongly denies this deployment is meant as a show of force against Iran or that it is in some way related to a potential strike on Iran's nuclear facilities. Rather, it says this is all part of a routine deployment and "security cooperation with regional partners."

The Air Force won't say how many jets were sent or exactly where they are stationed, but privately, U.S. officials have told Fox News the jets are in hangars at the United Arab Emirates' Al Dafra Air Base, a fact first reported by Aviation Week.

The F-22 has not yet seen combat. The jets were not used in Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya. They are stealth, and they specialize in air-to-air combat, but can also strike air-to-ground if needed. As one Air Force official put it, "this is America's premier fighter jet. It has no rival."

The next round for Iran nuclear negotiations, which many consider to be the country's last diplomatic opportunity, takes place on May 23 in Baghdad.
    "The United States Air Force has deployed F-22s to Southwest Asia. Such deployments strengthen military-to-military relationships, promote sovereign and regional security, improve combined tactical air operations, and enhance interoperability of forces, equipment and procedures," Lt.Col. John Dorrian, Air Force public affairs, said in a written statement.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1tIbXKHrJ
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

interested to see what happens. i guess we will have to wait till this summer.

Comment

we have been fucking with iran for years.. this is nothing new.
      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Could be a distraction like Clinton bombing Iraq to overshadow Monica's cigar usage.

Comment

Trying to add more pressure on them for these negotiations. However it is an election year. Who knows if Obama thinks this will make him look stronger.

We all know that this will be an aerial ass whopping. I just think we'll have a lot of issues on the ground and perhaps in the gulf itself. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost an aircraft carrier.

Comment

lose a carrier? pfffft. Iran has nothing that can touch a carrier. one carrier group consists of a couple dozen smaller ships that they would have to get past first
            1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
              lose a carrier? pfffft. Iran has nothing that can touch a carrier. one carrier group consists of a couple dozen smaller ships that they would have to get past first
              x2 + it would take a lot to sink one of those bad mother fuckers.

Comment

Underestimating your enemy is one way to insure defeat. And yes they do have a significant anti-ship capability. It may have been a long time ago, but the USS Stark is a good example of that. I recall the started production of a new anti ship missile just last year.

Remember, back in 2002, how we were constantly told that Iraq would be a "cake walk". You'd think we would have learned that there is no such thing.

Comment

I think I just heard gas prices going up again.........

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Underestimating your enemy is one way to insure defeat. And yes they do have a significant anti-ship capability. It may have been a long time ago, but the USS Stark is a good example of that. I recall the started production of a new anti ship missile just last year.

Remember, back in 2002, how we were constantly told that Iraq would be a "cake walk". You'd think we would have learned that there is no such thing.
                    Iraq might very well have been a cake walk in the first Iraq War, had Bush Sr finished the effort and taken Saddam down then.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      Iraq might very well have been a cake walk in the first Iraq War, had Bush Sr finished the effort and taken Saddam down then.
                      Perhaps, but then I think there is a good chance that it would have progressed in much the same manner as the 2nd war went. We would have encountered a strong insurgency, backed by Iran, and would have seen a huge amount of inter-tribal fighting. The issues we had in the 2nd Iraq war are may of the reasons given for not leaving an occupying force in Iraq...

However, I do think things would have turned out much differently if we had pulled out in the 1st war but destroyed the Republican Guard's tanks and fully armed the Shites in southern Iraq. We did a pretty decent job of protecting the Kurds in the north and they pretty much like us now..

Comment

I'm not going to say they CAN'T sink a Carrier but the odds are pretty low. Any anti-ship missiles would have to make it past the outer ship's point defenses (CIWS for instance) and then the carrier's point defenses.

Not only that any launching aircraft would have to get within launch range to fire the missile which they'd be seen long before they got to that point. E-2 Hawkeyes are up and watching while in theater and their radars can see a longgggg way, then they'd have to get past the CAP.

They could do it but it'd take a lot of planning and a large commitment of resources in the form of pilots, aircraft and munitions, and the stomach to take a lot of losses to get to that point.
                        Last edited by Downs; 04-28-2012, 10:26 AM.
                        2004 Suzuki DL650
                        1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                          I'm not going to say they CAN'T sink a Carrier but the odds are pretty low. Any anti-ship missiles would have to make it past the outer ship's point defenses (CIWS for instance) and then the carrier's point defenses.

Not only that any launching aircraft would have to get within launch range to fire the missile which they'd be seen long before they got to that point. E-2 Hawkeyes are up and watching while in theater and their radars can see a longgggg way, then they'd have to get past the CAP.

They could do it but it'd take a lot of planning and a large commitment of resources in the form of pilots, aircraft and munitions, and the stomach to take a lot of losses to get to that point.
                          That is more to what I am getting at. Sinking a carrier, even if it means taking large losses, is a huge win for them in several ways. Just like the Tet Offensive was a horrible military loss for the Viet Cong, it was a huge psychological win for them in many respects.

Fortunately, I don't think the US Navy is underestimating the threat.

Comment

Iran attackack ack ack ack ack ack ack

you oughtta know by now...

Comment

Most of the comments here assume that an attack on a carrier would be an air attack of some type. Does Iran have any submarines?

Comment

Working...
                              X