More Social Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Social Engineering

"You thought prison was hard, try finding a decent job when you get out," EEOC member Chai Feldblum said. She cited Justice Department statistics showing that 1 in 3 black men and 1 in 6 Hispanic men will be incarcerated during their lifetime. That compares with 1 in 17 white men who will serve time.

Wow! I've never seen incarceration rates presented like this.

Cliff Notes - EEOC wants to limit the use of Criminal background checks because of the disproportionate number of convicted Black and Hispanic felons. The better policy would be to expunge felonies after a certain length of time has expired - the more serious the crime, the longer it would take.

Get breaking Finance news and the latest business articles from AOL. From stock market news to jobs and real estate, it can all be found here.

WASHINGTON -- Is an arrest in a barroom brawl 20 years ago a job disqualifier? Not necessarily, the government said Wednesday in new guidelines on how employers can avoid running afoul of laws prohibiting job discrimination.
    The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's updated policy on criminal background checks is part of an effort to rein in practices that can limit job opportunities for minorities that have higher arrest and conviction rates than whites.
    Hiring Now
    Search All Job Listings
    New York Jobs
    Los Angeles Jobs
    Chicago Jobs
    Philadelphia Jobs
    "The ability of African-Americans and Hispanics to gain employment after prison is one of the paramount civil justice issues of our time," said Stuart Ishimaru, one of three Democrats on the five-member commission.
    But some employers say the new policy -- approved in a 4-1 vote -- could make it more cumbersome and expensive to conduct background checks. Companies see the checks as a way to keep workers and customers safe, weed out unsavory workers and prevent negligent hiring claims.
    The new standard urges employers to give applicants a chance to explain a report of past criminal misconduct before they are rejected outright. An applicant might say the report is inaccurate or point out that the conviction was expunged. It may be completely unrelated to the job, or an ex-con may show he's been fully rehabilitated.
    The EEOC also recommends that employers stop asking about past convictions on job applications. And it says an arrest without a conviction is not generally an acceptable reason to deny employment.
    While the guidance does not have the force of regulations, it sets a higher bar in explaining how businesses can avoid violating the law.
    "It's going to be much more burdensome," said Pamela Devata, a Chicago employment lawyer who has represented companies trying to comply with EEOC's requirements. "Logistically, it's going to be very difficult for employers who have a large amount of attrition to have an individual discussion with each and every applicant."
    The guidelines are the first attempt since 1990 to update the commission's policy on criminal background checks. Current standards already require employers to consider the age and seriousness of an applicant's conviction and its relationship to specific job openings. And it is generally illegal for employers to have a blanket ban based on criminal history.
    But the frequency of background checks has exploded over the past decade with the growth of online databases and dozens of search companies offering low-cost records searches.
    About 73 percent of employers conduct criminal background checks on all job candidates, according to a 2010 survey by the Society for Human Resource Management. Another 19 percent of employers do so only for selected job candidates.
    That data often can be inaccurate or incomplete, according to a report this month from the National Consumer Law Center. EEOC commissioners said the growing practice has grave implications for blacks and Hispanics, who are disproportionately represented in the criminal justice system and face high rates of unemployment.
    "You thought prison was hard, try finding a decent job when you get out," EEOC member Chai Feldblum said. She cited Justice Department statistics showing that 1 in 3 black men and 1 in 6 Hispanic men will be incarcerated during their lifetime. That compares with 1 in 17 white men who will serve time.
    The EEOC also has stepped up enforcement in recent years. It currently is investigating over 100 claims of job discrimination based on criminal background checks.
    Earlier this year, Pepsi Beverages Co. paid $3.1 million to settle EEOC charges of race discrimination for using criminal background checks to screen out job applicants, some who were never convicted.
    Constance Barker, one of two Republicans on the commission, was the only member to vote against the new policy. She blamed colleagues for not letting businesses see a draft of the guidelines before voting to approve them.
    "I object to the utter and blatant lack of transparency in the process," Barker said. "We are now to approve this dramatic shift ... without ever circulating it to the American public for discussion."
    But other members said the commission held a major hearing on the issue last year and took more than 300 comments.
    Nancy Hammer, senior government affairs policy counsel at the Society for Human Resource Management, said a big concern is the potential conflict between the new guidance and state laws that require criminal background checks in certain professions.
    Nurses, teachers and day care providers, for example, are required by some state laws to have background checks. The new guidelines say a company is not shielded from liability under federal discrimination laws just because it complies with state laws.
    Devata, the employment attorney, said the new guidelines may have a chilling effect that discourages employers from conducting criminal checks.
    "I think some businesses may stop doing it because it's too hard to comply with all the recommendations in the guidance," she said.
    The NAACP praised the new guidelines, saying they would help level the playing field for job applicants with a criminal history.
    "These guidelines will discourage employers from discriminating against applicants who have paid their debt to society," NAACP President-CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous said.

The people that think we need to help the criminals get a job must not own or ever owned a business.

If you got in trouble once and were smart enough to have it taken care of properly, then you'll have no issues finding job.

If you've been incarcerated multiple times, then there will be a myriad of reasons why you can't become employed.

Comment

One day the following will be true:

Went to prison? No problem...

Bad Credit? You'll never work here lowlife...

Comment

I decided to look up the EEOC chairman's credentials - here ya go

President Obama announced his intent to nominate the following individuals today:

Chai R. Feldblum, Nominee for Commissioner, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

Chai Feldblum is a Professor of Law at the Georgetown University Law Center where she has taught since 1991. She also founded the Law Center’s Federal Legislation and Administrative Clinic, a program designed to train students to become legislative lawyers. Feldblum previously served as Legislative Counsel to the AIDS Project of the American Civil Liberties Union. In this role, she developed legislation, analyzed policy on various AIDS-related issues, and played a leading role in the drafting of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and, later as a law professor, in the passage of the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. She has also worked on advancing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights and has been a leading expert on the Employment Nondiscrimination Act. As Co-Director of Workplace Flexibility 2010, Feldblum has worked to advance flexible workplaces in a manner that works for employees and employers. Feldblum clerked for Judge Frank Coffin and for Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun. She received her J.D. from Harvard Law School and B.A. from Barnard College.

This is astounding, fantastic news. Chai — a Georgetown Law Professor (bio) — has been at the forefront of the struggle for LGBT and disabilities equality issues and fighting HIV/AIDS discrimination for as long as I’ve been around. She’s openly lesbian and one of the most respected voices on nondiscrimination legislation in D.C. Moments like these are why we fought to get Obama elected.

Feldblum would be one of five commissioners at the EEOC, and the term is for five years.

This certainly will lead to some heavy debate in the Senate because of the role Feldblum has played over the past years.

To see what I mean, here’s just a small sampling of her recent work:

Comment

Wouldn't an easier solution be for minorities to not be criminals?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Originally posted by racrguy
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            How fucking dare you.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              That's racist! And so are those statistics!
              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

there are a lot of reasons why people get deferred adjudication and never get their records removed because the state doesn't take care of their business like they promised they would in court initially (when granting ajudication later assuming successful completion of typically a probationary period).

The problem is INFINITELY compounded by the fact that there are many HUGE data mining companies out there keeping, maintaining , and NEVER destroying past records of Americans en masse. Many will not remove the records unless threatened with law and proof. Many still won't... because they can only be threatened with civil penalties I believe (assuming they were sued by the job applicant due to their reporting of erroneous/inaccurate info)

If you are acting like this isn't a problem , it because you either :
                1.lack any empathy for people convicted of any thing , no matter how minor. Especially since many NON felonies will make you impossible to get certain jobs.
                2. you have no fucking idea about the above points with the govt, and dataminers

The truth is pretty damn hard to argue with! lets hear it you know it alls out there?
                It helps to be in IT to understand the breadth of this datamining schema currently in place for decades.
                There are those that support them under freedom of information, but I pretty much loath them for the damage they do to people's prosparity - All so they can make a few bucks reporting shitty , typically dated information. Worse yet the information is always purported as accurate, ALWAYS.

The state courts and refusal to uphold their end of the bargain is the root cause. They could actually expunge the records as they are supposed to after adjudication.
                The dataminers just perpetuate the problem indefinitely....
                Last edited by futant; 04-26-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by futant View Post
                  there are a lot of reasons why people get deferred adjudication and never get their records removed because the state doesn't take care of their business like they promised they would in court initially (when granting ajudication later assuming successful completion of typically a probationary period).

The problem is INFINITELY compounded by the fact that there are many HUGE data mining companies out there keeping, maintaining , and NEVER destroying past records of Americans en masse. Many will not remove the records unless threatened with law and proof. Many still won't... because they can only be threatened with civil penalties I believe (assuming they were sued by the job applicant due to their reporting of erroneous/inaccurate info)

If you are acting like this isn't a problem , it because you either :
                  1.lack any empathy for people convicted of any thing , no matter how minor. Especially since many NON felonies will make you impossible to get certain jobs.
                  2. you have no fucking idea about the above points with the govt, and dataminers

The truth is pretty damn hard to argue with! lets hear it you know it alls out there?
                  It helps to be in IT to understand the breadth of this datamining schema currently in place for decades.
                  There are those that support them under freedom of information, but I pretty much loath them for the damage they do to people's prosparity - All so they can make a few bucks reporting shitty , typically dated information. Worse yet the information is always purported as accurate, ALWAYS.

The state courts and refusal to uphold their end of the bargain is the root cause. They could actually expunge the records as they are supposed to after adjudication.
                  The dataminers just perpetuate the problem indefinitely....
                  If you are not Black or Hispanic then the architects of this policy reform could care less about you. This is an attempt to level the playing field because blacks and hispanics commit crimes at a higher rate than their white counterparts. If getting records expunged is an issue than address THAT issue - this is totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                    The people that think we need to help the criminals get a job must not own or ever owned a business.

If you got in trouble once and were smart enough to have it taken care of properly, then you'll have no issues finding job.

If you've been incarcerated multiple times, then there will be a myriad of reasons why you can't become employed.
                    This would make sense if their weren't people out there running very successful companies using grants from the govt for hiring past criminals.
                    The fact of the matter is , if you've served your time and done what the punishment is - you deserve a second chance and society wants that.

It's not like ANY business is forced to hire them that I am aware of.

I know for a fact a guy that broke into my car when i was in high school , multiple times. Dude spent years in jail for other things too.
                    Total fuckwad
                    Got out, turned his life around and started a IT companie hiring only felons.
                    Makes a shit ton of money last I heard.
                    Not that I give a fuck about him, but he would probably LOL at your douchey attitude and misinformed ass.
                    I was pretty amazed myself when someone told me about it.
                    I guess he was a smart ?

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post
                      If you are not Black or Hispanic then the architects of this policy reform could care less about you. This is an attempt to level the playing field because blacks and hispanics commit crimes at a higher rate than their white counterparts. If getting records expunged is an issue than address THAT issue - this is totally different.
                      Oh fuck Affirmative Action.
                      That's the most racist policies I've ever seen in action there !
                      thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Working...
                      X