USPS - Takes the $12 Billion Loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
    There will be a postal service as it's required in the constitution. That said, it's not hard to drop mail in a box, time to cut costs
    Yep time to do away with all those cushy civil service jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      Or just let them fail like any other mis-managed, failed company should.
      It's actually not that poorly run in the last 3 years. It's GOVERNED terribly and very limited in how it can respond to market conditions. The current PMG and many of the remaining management WANT to make a change, but the politicians won't let that happen.

Trust me, I have an inside view of what they are trying to do and they keep getting turned away from good decisions by Congress because of the 1% of the public that complains too much and has nothing better to do.

As for service changes...Overnight mail is going away. That is how they are planning the 250 processing plant closures but Congress won't let them close that many. Saturday delivery alone is a huge savings and the customers are all behind it....but once again, Congress won't let them do it.

There have been numerous plans submitted...SMART plans. But every time, Congress shoots them down. USPS could have been profitable 2 years ago except for Congress preventing progress.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
        It's actually not that poorly run in the last 3 years. It's GOVERNED terribly and very limited in how it can respond to market conditions. The current PMG and many of the remaining management WANT to make a change, but the politicians won't let that happen.

Trust me, I have an inside view of what they are trying to do and they keep getting turned away from good decisions by Congress because of the 1% of the public that complains too much and has nothing better to do.

As for service changes...Overnight mail is going away. That is how they are planning the 250 processing plant closures but Congress won't let them close that many. Saturday delivery alone is a huge savings and the customers are all behind it....but once again, Congress won't let them do it.

There have been numerous plans submitted...SMART plans. But every time, Congress shoots them down. USPS could have been profitable 2 years ago except for Congress preventing progress.
        So you're saying it's just like everything else the government has its hands in? Whoda thunk?

Comment

im fairly convinced the govt can fuck up anything.
          it doesn't matter how good it is.
          it could be chocolate and the govt would FUBAR it
          About the only thing not overregulated by the govt is ........ ?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
            So you're saying it's just like everything else the government has its hands in? Whoda thunk?
            Amtrak is the same way. They try to shut down routes that aren't profitable, but congress refuses to let them do it. The best part is congress then threatens to pull their funding because they keep losing money. It's insane.

Comment

In these modern times, I'm fairly certain a vast majority of us could live with 3 day a week service from USPS. All we get is snail mail and bills that are handled electronically anyways. We send very little via the mailbox/USPS. Maybe I'm not the majority though.

USPS is nice when you're on an overseas base though, but I think most don't mind that portion being in service.

Either way, if sacrificing 3 days a week saves a ton of money - I think a lot of folks would be willing to do so. Also, routes only 3 days a week could mean only part time drivers would want it - who would demand a lower cost as well. Granted, the PO will still be open whatever they are open today - for on-site stuff and sorting.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                Amtrak is the same way. They try to shut down routes that aren't profitable, but congress refuses to let them do it. The best part is congress then threatens to pull their funding because they keep losing money. It's insane.
                Isn't Amtrak private? Or is it one of those deals I need to read about...
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Isn't Amtrak private? Or is it one of those deals I need to read about...
                  Nah it stopped being private in the 70s. It's mandated and funded by congress. So just imagine how fucked up it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X