USPS - Takes the $12 Billion Loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS - Takes the $12 Billion Loan

Let me get this straight, the postmaster general actually wants to close down about 100 mail facilities and cut Saturday deliveries, and congress says, no not 'till after the election. Takes another $11 billion in loans out of the allowed $15 billion, totaling 12 now. I am so glad I paid my taxes this year.

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) -- The Senate on Wednesday passed a plan to save the struggling U.S. Postal Service, an effort that could save thousands of jobs and 100 mail processing plants now slated to be closed or consolidated next month.
    In an unusual showing of bipartisanship, the Senate voted 62-37 to throw a lifeline to the indebted Postal Service. Without help, the Postal Service would otherwise cut Saturday service, delay mail delivery and close hundreds of postal processing plants and post offices, triggering thousands of job cuts nationwide.

"My hope is that our friends over in the U.S. House, given our bipartisan steps we took this week, will feel a sense of urgency," said Sen. Tom Carper, a Delaware Democrat, one of the Senate bill's co-sponsors. "The situation is not hopeless, the situation is dire."
    The House has yet to take up a different bill to reform the Postal Service. However, Rep. Darrell Issa, a key Republican on postal service legislation, called the Senate bill "wholly unacceptable," in a statement released Wednesday.
    Congress faces a deadline of May 15, when a moratorium on postal closures expires.
    The recession, declining mail volume and a congressional mandate to prefund retirement health care benefits have put the service in a bind. It reported a $5.1 billion loss for the year ended Sept. 30.
    The Senate bill, offered by members in both parties, forces the Postal Service to ease off part of its plan to slow down the delivery of first-class mail, the kind of mail that most consumers use.
    Postal Service: We need more junk mail
    The bill makes controversial changes, including cuts to workers' compensation benefits, as well as a transition from door-to-door delivery to curbside delivery in some areas, such as suburban neighborhoods.
    The Senate bill also prevents the Postal Service from cutting Saturday delivery for two years, until the agency can prove such a cut is needed as a "last resort."
    During debate on the postal bill the past two days, the Senate agreed to order the Postal Service to postpone the May 15 expiration of a moratorium on closures until the House passes a postal service bill.
    The Senate also agreed to cap executive pay of high-ranking postal officials to that of Cabinet officials, $199,000. (Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe made $384,000 last year.)
    The cost of the Senate bill could prove a major sticking point with the House. The Congressional Budget Office says the bill would cost $33.6 billion over 10 years.
    The tab comes from increased borrowing authority for the Postal Service, allowing it to borrow $11 billion more from Treasury. The Postal Service can currently borrow up to $15 billion, and has tapped $12 billion of that loan.
    The other cost comes from elimination of regular billion-dollar payments, now required by law, to Treasury to pre-fund health care benefits for retirees. That $23 billion would ease financial pain for the Postal Service, but it also means less revenue to ease federal deficits.
    Several Senate Republicans, including Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, said they voted against the bill, because it wasn't paid for in an appropriate way.
    Earlier this year, the Postal Service said it was doing away with overnight delivery of many kinds of first-class mail, opening the door for closing 223 mail processing plants at a cost of 35,000 jobs.
    The Senate bill would force the Postal Service to maintain some one-day delivery of first-class mail, mostly for items mailed within the same processing area -- saving 100 mail processing plants.

The Senate bill would also tap most of an estimated $10.9 billion overpayment in the Federal Employees Retirement System to pay down postal service debt and use up to $2 billion on buyout packages to entice long-time employees to retire.
    Unions oppose the Senate bill, saying it doesn't provide a good long-term business model.
    "We are very disappointed that the Senate approved such a flawed bill, but we are determined to continue the fight for legislation that will provide a path to long-term viability for the Postal Service," said Fredric V. Rolando, president of the National Association of Letter Carriers.
    The U.S. Postal Service is, by law, an "independent establishment" of the executive branch. The agency doesn't normally use tax dollars for operations, except for its $12 billion loan from Treasury.
    The Senate on Tuesday agreed to pass a bipartisan plan to save the struggling U.S. Postal Service, including a new effort to save about 100 mail processing plants now slated to be closed or consolidated next month.
    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
    Baja-Bob.com

Just goes to show how dismal things really have to ge t vbefore the government will take action .

They dont even see the post office as dismal enough yet . So basically, all post offices everywhere need to magically cease to exist .

Comment

fucking pathetic.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You should read the statements of dissent from the PMG and the PRC. They both told the Senante "you are wrong". I have to admit the PMG and his team are looking at the situation pretty smartly and their plan should work through 2015. The problem is that the USPS can't even take a shit without the politicians getting involved. What hasn't been reported is that the USPS wants to privatize their benefits and stop paying into the the Fed employee retirement system....considering that is where congress is stealing money to pay out to other social programs right now, there is no way in hell they are letting the USPS out of it's obligations to pay in more than any other gov't agency with regards to benefits. It's a joke.

There are going to be a lot of people losing their jobs at the USPS and the politicians are trying to buy their votes right now.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
          There are going to be a lot of people losing their jobs at the USPS and the politicians are trying to buy their votes right now.
          Exactly. I just hope that even the lowliest postal worker isn't too dumb to see through it.

So I have a question. Why do we still have mail delivered to every residence in the US? Everyone has a car. Stop by the post office on your way home and save yourself the tax costs of supporting a welfare jobs program.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            Exactly. I just hope that even the lowliest postal worker isn't too dumb to see through it.

So I have a question. Why do we still have mail delivered to every residence in the US? Everyone has a car. Stop by the post office on your way home and save yourself the tax costs of supporting a welfare jobs program.

Wouldn't that also cut own on pollution? I'm surprised Obama isn't all over this already..

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Wouldn't that also cut own on pollution? I'm surprised Obama isn't all over this already..
              You been to a post office lately? Even seen a white guy? It's an entitlement scheme meant to benefit minorities and junk mail companies. The sooner it goes away, the better.

I got an "Express Mail Overnight" package from Chicago this week. It cost the guys in Chicago $18.95 to send it via USPS. I can send that same piece of paper for about $5 via Fed Ex. Hell, if the Post Office would take their package and put it inside a Fed Ex envelope for them to deliver they would make money on the spread!

The fucking PO needs to die.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post

The fucking PO needs to die.
                Not until I find another contract job!

Universal service is required by some law. Mostly so that citizens can be notified in writing of government updates...likely from the IRS.

Every modern country has a snail mail system. We will always have a PO, it just needs to be modernized and run more efficiently. I've heard that 100k+ of the 535k or so employees need to go. Those people hitting the unemployment line would be disasterous. This loan is to help make offers to those eligible for retirement to leave now and cut down on the highest paid workers.

Either way, the PO is in trouble. Not enough volume, can't raise prices because of congress, can't lay people off because of congress and can't cut costs because of Congress......so who is the problem again?!

Also, as for ethnicity working at the PO....it's different in other areas of the country....but I will support that those working in the DFW area are some of the laziest mf'rs on the planet. I cover an area from el paso to miami and I have seen it all.

Comment

You been to a post office lately? Even seen a white guy? It's an entitlement scheme meant to benefit minorities and junk mail companies. The sooner it goes away, the better.

I got an "Express Mail Overnight" package from Chicago this week. It cost the guys in Chicago $18.95 to send it via USPS. I can send that same piece of paper for about $5 via Fed Ex. Hell, if the Post Office would take their package and put it inside a Fed Ex envelope for them to deliver they would make money on the spread!.
                  Oh, and I don't have the exact numbers....but USPS delivers something like 20%+ of UPS and Fedex home deliveries in areas that they don't have delivery coverage. USPS delivers packages that don't require signatures on a contract basis for them.

Comment

100K people hitting the unemployment line is not really all that much, even with the shitty economy we are generating that many private jobs a month. Those fuckers can go get a job at pizza hut I'm sure.

We'll probably always have a post office but it should do just what you said, deliver government notices. Besides that, it needs to disappear. The private sector outperforms it except, as you said, in remote areas. And it sounds like those people in remote areas need to pay to have their mail delivered.

But really, who are we kidding, if the post office was gone tomorrow the politicians would just waste the money on something else. We need a debt crisis in this country is what we need. And it is coming.
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

100K people hitting the unemployment line is not really all that much, even with the shitty economy we are generating that many private jobs a month. Those fuckers can go get a job at pizza hut I'm sure.

We'll probably always have a post office but it should do just what you said, deliver government notices. Besides that, it needs to disappear. The private sector outperforms it except, as you said, in remote areas. And it sounds like those people in remote areas need to pay to have their mail delivered.

But really, who are we kidding, if the post office was gone tomorrow the politicians would just waste the money on something else. We need a debt crisis in this country is what we need. And it is coming.
                      the AVERAGE postal worker makes $55k/yr. THAT is a big part of the problem. If they could get that down to $30 to 35k a year or contract all routes just like Rural routes....the overall employee cost plummets. I also think this is their goal.

As for the debt crisis....I tend to agree. It's going to suck, but it should cull the herd a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

If I had to drive to the post office I would probably never get my mail.

95% of the mail I get is trash or advertisements. Then 4% of that are things such as credit card statements that I rarely ever look at because it just gets paid monthly online anyways. Then you have 1% which is stuff like my taxes, or things work sends me like 401k statements and benefit changes.
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Have mail deliveries only 3 days a week That's enough. Stop ALL parcel post deliveries. Let UPS and the other private companies handle that. Do away with the over night and priority mail. Make all postage first class and charge $ 1.00 per piece. If it is important enough to mail, a dollar is cheap to get it there. With all these changes, reduce the workforce to whatever it takes to handle the load. Have all routes as riding routes and do them at night when traffic is less. Eliminate PO boxes and let private companies do that if there is a market for that type of service. Force GM to GIVE the post office enough electric cars to deliver the mail. This gift would GM's repayment of the loan they got. By the time the electric cars wore out, we could totally eliminate the whole post office operation. It's sorta like buggy whips and horse collars........we don't need them any more.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                            Have mail deliveries only 3 days a week That's enough. Stop ALL parcel post deliveries. Let UPS and the other private companies handle that. Do away with the over night and priority mail. Make all postage first class and charge $ 1.00 per piece. If it is important enough to mail, a dollar is cheap to get it there. With all these changes, reduce the workforce to whatever it takes to handle the load. Have all routes as riding routes and do them at night when traffic is less. Eliminate PO boxes and let private companies do that if there is a market for that type of service. Force GM to GIVE the post office enough electric cars to deliver the mail. This gift would GM's repayment of the loan they got. By the time the electric cars wore out, we could totally eliminate the whole post office operation. It's sorta like buggy whips and horse collars........we don't need them any more.
                            Or just let them fail like any other mis-managed, failed company should.

Comment

There will be a postal service as it's required in the constitution. That said, it's not hard to drop mail in a box, time to cut costs
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X