Immigration from mexico down to 0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration from mexico down to 0?

A new study finds that a four-decade wave of Mexican immigrants into the U.S. has receded. What does that mean for the hot-button immigration debate?

In a potentially historic shift, more Mexicans are now leaving the U.S. than entering, according to a Pew Hispanic Center study. The reversal appears to mark the end of a four-decade immigration wave that pushed the Mexican-born population in the U.S. to a peak of 12.6 million in 2007, before sliding back to 12 million since then. Pew listed a host of factors contributing to the trend, from falling Mexican birth rates to increased border control and deportations to a decline in jobs on this side of the border since the Great Recession. Does that mean that the hot-button issue of illegal immigration, which inspired tough state crackdowns now under review by the Supreme Court, is going away on its own?

Illegal immigration is no longer a big problem: The new statistics have exposed the lie in "right-wing warnings of an 'invasion' of illegal immigrants," says Ed Pilkington at Britain's Guardian. This should "take the wind out of the sails" of those insisting that Mexicans are sneaking into the country and "taking jobs away from unemployed Americans." But the trend is bad news for the U.S. economy. America will miss these immigrants when the economy turns around and the country needs a ready supply of immigrant labor to keep things humming.
    "Mexican immigration falls for first time in four decades"

But we can't suddenly go soft on immigration: The slowing flow of illegal immigrants "does not end the problem," says Don Surber at the Charleston, W.V., Daily Mail. America is still home to millions of criminals, many of whom illegally entered the U.S. from Mexico. We need to continue getting tough, with deportations in some cases, prison in others, and fines for people who hire illegal immigrants. Most importantly, "America must seal and protect her borders" to make sure another wave doesn't come crashing in.
    "Lock the door behind them"

If anything, this proves amnesty isn't necessary: So much for the idea that it's cruel to uproot illegal immigrants and send them home, says Mark Krikorian at National Review. Sure, some Mexicans have been deported, but most "who've left have done so on their own." And they've taken 100,000 American-born children with them. "In other words, attrition works." Really, "why not wait and see how much more the illegal population can be reduced through attrition before we surrender and declare amnesty?"
    "Attrition works — so why do we need amnesty?"

Pew pew pew!

12.6 to 12 million, very small, but I guess it is a start.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Odd timing for some bullshit story like this, seeing as how the Supreme Court is arguing the Arizona illegal immigration bill tomorrow...

Comment

Yeah, nice timing. I saw an interview on Cavuto earlier where there was a woman saying these numbers aren't accurate, as we can't "track" all the illegal aliens, they're just assumed numbers based on the economy, how many people are being caught at the borders, etc. They really have no idea how many people are coming or going, and it's just an ASSumption that people would be heading back since there is "no work" here.

Comment

The minute our economy is seen as strong again illegal immigration rates will be right back where they were in the 80's and 90's.

Comment

Absolutely. Assuming the info was correct, it still wouldn't mean the problem is over, or that the amnesty issue is over like the article states/assumes. Mexico isn't doing any better than the U.S., so it's not like they're going to move back and get a job, prosper, and stay there forever.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
              Yeah, nice timing. I saw an interview on Cavuto earlier where there was a woman saying these numbers aren't accurate, as we can't "track" all the illegal aliens, they're just assumed numbers based on the economy, how many people are being caught at the borders, etc. They really have no idea how many people are coming or going, and it's just an ASSumption that people would be heading back since there is "no work" here.
              So can't you ASSume that the numbers of how many are really here for all those years are inaccurate as well?

Kind of works both ways doesn't it?

Comment

Absolutely. However, the data that is used to estimate how many illegals are here has been amassed, calculated, re-calculated, etc. over a period of over 20 years. The govt. knows that payments sent from the U.S. to Mexico are second only to oil production for the Mexican economy.

That's going to be a lot more of an accurate indicator than "well, the economy is shittier, so we assume they're going back."

Plus, no one has ever said "I know EXACTLY how many people are here illegally." That's a much trickier number to pinpoint than whether we're gaining or losing illegals in general.

Comment

If its going down doesn't that mean that they and their cousins already made it over the border

Comment

The numbers are bullshit, look at this graph:

Notice on the graph, bottom left:

"From the US to Mexico (includes persons born in Mexico, US and elsewhere)"

They are factoring in US born citizens that are going to Mexico, how the hell are US citizens being considered illegals, since that is what this story is about?

Like usual, these liberal fuckers are trying to erase the difference between illegals and true immigrants.

Stevo
                    Originally posted by SSMAN
                    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

You mean the Pew Hispanic Center came out with a study that supports the idea that no changes are needed to our current system.

Well, I'm really shocked.

My favorite part is where the guy from Britain starts to tell us about what we need to do. What kind of fool believes this shit?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The liberals. They believe it. AverysDad believes it . Sad thing is, hes teaching poor avery to believe it

Comment

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post
                          The liberals. They believe it. AverysDad believes it . Sad thing is, hes teaching poor avery to believe it
                          I think Avery may be his lover and not an offspring.

Stevo
                          Originally posted by SSMAN
                          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            You mean the Pew Hispanic Center came out with a study that supports the idea that no changes are needed to our current system.

Well, I'm really shocked.

My favorite part is where the guy from Britain starts to tell us about what we need to do. What kind of fool believes this shit?
                            Yep. That's all we need is a limey telling us how to run our business, just like that shitty Mexican Prez tries to do. It's like my thrice married mom giving me marital advice...ain't gonna happen.

Comment

A neutral net figure does not equal no illegal immigration.
                              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                              X