DHS orders 450 million .40 caliber rounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS orders 450 million .40 caliber rounds

ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE)
    --ATK Wins Five-Year, Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity Contract for .40 Caliber Ammunition from DHS, ICE --Additional .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with 450 Million Round Potential Demonstrates ATK's Leadership in Ammunition Manufacturing

ANOKA, Minn., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- ATK ATK +0.25% announced that it is being awarded an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) agreement from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE) for .40 caliber ammunition. This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds.

ATK was the incumbent and won the contract with its HST bullet, which has proven itself in the field. The special hollow point effectively passes through a variety of barriers and holds its jacket in the toughest conditions. HST is engineered for 100-percent weight retention, limits collateral damage, and avoids over-penetration.

"We are proud to extend our track record as the prime supplier of .40 caliber duty ammunition for DHS, ICE," said Ron Johnson, President of ATK's Security and Sporting group. "The HST is a proven design that will continue to serve those who keep our borders safe."

ATK will produce the ammunition at the Federal Cartridge Company facility in Anoka, Minn. Deliveries are expected to begin in June.

ATK is an aerospace, defense, and commercial products company with operations in 22 states, Puerto Rico, and internationally. News and information can be found on the Internet at www.atk.com .

Certain information discussed in this press release constitutes forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Although ATK believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, it can give no assurance that its expectations will be achieved. Forward-looking information is subject to certain risks, trends, and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Among those factors are: changes in governmental spending, budgetary policies and product sourcing strategies; the company's competitive environment; the terms and timing of awards and contracts; economic conditions; the supply, availability and costs of raw materials and components; or reliance on a key supplier. ATK undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements. For further information on factors that could impact ATK, and statements contained herein, please refer to ATK's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and its subsequent quarterly report on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K filed with the SEC.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Federal makes great ammo. If I could afford 450,000,000 rounds of their gold medal match, I'd buy it.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

That's half a billion rounds we paid for that can only be figured that they plan on using on us.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        That's half a billion rounds we paid for that can only be figured that they plan on using on us.
        Or for the myriad of federal agencies under the DHS that field .40 caliber pistols, like all of them. You reckon they might need to qualify and practice occasionally?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          Or for the myriad of federal agencies under the DHS that field .40 caliber pistols, like all of them. You reckon they might need to qualify and practice occasionally?
          Yes, they need to qualify and practice on occassion, however they have individual agencies that fund that. DHS is it's own entity

Comment

Yes, they need to qualify and practice on occassion, however they have individual agencies that fund that. DHS is it's own entity
            If it makes you feel any better, I bet ATK already makes way more 5.56 than that for them at Lake City.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, I bet ATK already makes way more 5.56 than that for them at Lake City.
              Just consider it me being paranoid. Obama giving himself executive power over everything in the country, the NDAA, Obama taking Americans out without trial and so forth makes me suspicious.

Comment

The reason I'm not concerned is, an IDIQ is not a procurement contract for existing materials. It's an order for production. Those 450,000,000 rounds don't even exist yet.

Comment

The reason I'm not concerned is, an IDIQ is not a procurement contract for existing materials. It's an order for production. Those 450,000,000 rounds don't even exist yet.
                  Interesting, thank you for the clarification. I learn something new daily. That means they know something is about to happen and are prepping. From what I understand this is an order that is open to go beyond the half billion rounds. With us as broke as we are, why this?

Comment

Interesting, thank you for the clarification. I learn something new daily. That means they know something is about to happen and are prepping. From what I understand this is an order that is open to go beyond the half billion rounds. With us as broke as we are, why this?
                    It looks like just a standard procurement contract. That's an industry article, so ATK is just crowing. It'd be like if McDonalds ordered 450 million more pounds of cheese from us. They'd never see anywhere near even a tenth of that amount in one allocation, it's just a number attached so they can price those orders accordingly. They'll build up a certain level of stock in a big manufacturing push, then fulfill smaller orders to keep the pipeline full. When they've shipped that amount, they'll probably renegotiate pricing.

Comment

It looks like just a standard procurement contract. That's an industry article, so ATK is just crowing. It'd be like if McDonalds ordered 450 million more pounds of cheese from us. They'd never see anywhere near even a tenth of that amount in one allocation, it's just a number attached so they can price those orders accordingly. They'll build up a certain level of stock in a big manufacturing push, then fulfill smaller orders to keep the pipeline full. When they've shipped that amount, they'll probably renegotiate pricing.
                      *whew*

Then I won't have to worry about a .40 shortage anytime soon.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Here Frost. Read this. Maybe this will answer your question... And yes 4.5 million rounds is just a bit much for one department.

BTW this is for peace time....Not war time.

Vid break down here.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Not 4.5 million rounds. 450 million.

I sat down and read the EO last night then blew up my Congress creature's emails

Comment

Not 4.5 million rounds. 450 million.

I sat down and read the EO last night then blew up my Congress creature's emails
                            Oh...My bad. Even worse.
                            Last edited by tazz007; 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

So, there's even a disclaimer in the article talking about how the exact number isn't set, and you're going to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon, tazz? Can we just get majorownage in here now and round out the crazy? For anyone actually interested in how this process works, just google, "IDIQ."

Comment

Working...
                              X