Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
    Gladly.

The two words are attributes, similar but different.

While all things that are false are untrue, all things that are untrue are not necessarily false. Untrue is just an adjective describing something that is lacking the accurate descriptor of "true".

A statement like, "This sentence is a lie.", is untrue. It is not true, as it cannot be, it is not false either as, again, it cannot be. It is a paradox. A paradox is not true, or untrue.

An argument from ignorance such as, "I've never seen a light in the sky behave that way, it must be an alien!" is untrue. It certainly may be an alien, but there is not a way to ascertain the truth of the statement, making it unknown.

Now, I will agree, that all statements that are false are untrue. If someone said, "All modern science supports the zoroastrian creation myth." That statement is untrue, but it is also false.

So, as you can see, there is a distinct difference between stating that something is false versus stating something is untrue. That which is false is always untrue, that which is untrue is not necessarily false.

Holy nonsense, Batman!

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
      Holy nonsense, Batman!
      So, I explain basic logical principals, and how they relate to the english language, and your entire response is claiming it's nonsense without the slightest evidence to back your claim?

Please explain how I'm wrong, rather than just assert, if what I'm saying is nonsense.
      Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

this thread is perfect evidence of the divisiveness of religion! LOL
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
          this thread is perfect evidence of the divisiveness of religion! LOL
          Matthew 10:34-36
          Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
            So, I explain basic logical principals, and how they relate to the english language, and your entire response is claiming it's nonsense without the slightest evidence to back your claim?

Please explain how I'm wrong, rather than just assert, if what I'm saying is nonsense.
            Meckalecka high meckahanie ho.

Comment

Working...
            X