X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rep. Jeff Miller proposes veterans' exemption to sequester cuts

Rep. Jeff Miller proposes veterans' exemption to sequester cuts
    By Pete Kasperowicz - 02/06/12 11:30 AM ET

Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), the chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee, has proposed legislation that would exempt veterans' health programs from any of the required $600 billion in sequestration cuts required this year under the Budget Control Act.

H.R. 3895, the Protect VA Healthcare Act, was introduced after Miller tried to get Obama administration officials to confirm that they would spare VA health programs from any of the cuts, which are required after the supercommittee failed last year to reach an agreement to trim federal spending.

Miller wrote President Obama last month on this issue, and noted that in November, the VA's chief financial officer said he was hopeful a decision on how sequestration would affect the Department of Veterans Affairs would be made "shortly." However, he said, VA has not yet offered any clarity.

"[A]ll Americans, especially our veterans, deserve to understand the ramifications if sequestration is ever imposed," Miller wrote. "I ask you to personally look into this issue and, as I have, resolve any ambiguity that exists in favor of an exemption of all VA programs."

But Miller said last week that he has received no reply from the administration, which is why legislation might be needed.

"Despite repeated requests made to the President and Secretary of Veterans Affairs over the past six months, I have not received any assurance—and more important, nor have our veterans—that these cuts will not take place," he said.

Miller also took a shot at the Obama administration for failing to do enough to ensure job creation, which would also help veterans by making it easier for them to find work.

"Short-term spending and temporary programs have failed and are not the solution," he said. "I am hopeful that the administration will work with Congress to get our businesses hiring again in order to give America's veterans the chance to lead the successful and productive lives they deserve when they return home."
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool
Working...
X